XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

infamous marelli falure now trans not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by macdoesit
I'm very new to the 1990 XJS Jag I just bought, the more I read the more I think about selling it. I never dreamed a car could have so many problems.
My Wife is driving it and now Along with all the other potential problems I have to worry about her burning up in it. I don't understand how a car manufacture could put out this kind of car.
"1990 XJS Convertible for sale"

Keep the car but change the fuel hoses.... and keep the ignition system in good shape.

No fires :-)

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
macdoesit (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Keep the car but change the fuel hoses.... and keep the ignition system in good shape.

No fires :-)

Cheers
DD
Thank you Doug. I thought I had put LOL at the end of for sale. Will go back modify.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

How could you allow your wife to drive such a deathtrap?? I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for $50

The following users liked this post:
macdoesit (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
How could you allow your wife to drive such a deathtrap?? I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for $50
"SOLD"

Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

the very reason i modified my complete fuel system(16yrs ago).

i used custom aluminum rails, with HI-pressure O-rings on the injectors both ends , and ALL fuel lines are hi-pressure Aeroquip SS hoses.

i have seen some serious engine fires, and the costs of repairs!

Attached Thumbnails infamous marelli falure now trans not shifting-trunk-xjs-fuel-system-union-jack-001.jpg   infamous marelli falure now trans not shifting-georgetown-show-plaque-002.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ronbros
the very reason i modified my complete fuel system(16yrs ago).

i used custom aluminum rails, with HI-pressure O-rings on the injectors both ends , and ALL fuel lines are hi-pressure Aeroquip SS hoses.

i have seen some serious engine fires, and the costs of repairs!

Beautiful work, but if your only goal was to prevent an engine fire, you went way overboard :-).

Cheers
DD

Old 05-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
The vaccum line to the transmission modulator is on the right side. It probably melted. Take a look. As I recall it originates at the rear of the RH inlet manifold....one of several vac hoses there. Trace it back to the trans

Cheers
DD
I am confused. When you say right side of the car, is this while sitting in the seat? The only thing I find under the "B" Pillar in my car is a speaker. On the drivers side, I found a module with LAB2400AC on it, which I thought was the trans control module. Now. There is no vaccum line going to it, just two sets of multiple wires.

I had my trans completely rebuilt, being it's a GM trans (4L80-E) when they hooked it up to their computer to test it, it went through the shifting patterns perfectly. However when they hook it up to the car, nothing. It is stuck in "LIMP Mode" and will not go out of 2nd or 3rd. I am trying to find out why. Been going through control modules, trying to find them all is a mess. The trans one according to the "Jaguar Electrical Diagrams" stated on the right side, under the B pillar. There is nothing there but a speaker. I am wondering where else things are in the car that aren't where they are suppose to be?

Anyway. Any help with this would be MUCH appreciated. I have a new (New to me anyway) beautiful car sitting in my driveway that has a trans with 50 miles on it, and can't do a damn thing with it because it won't shift gears.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NtAFord
I am confused. When you say right side of the car, is this while sitting in the seat?

Yes.

The only thing I find under the "B" Pillar in my car is a speaker. On the drivers side, I found a module with LAB2400AC on it, which I thought was the trans control module. Now. There is no vaccum line going to it, just two sets of multiple wires.

In the post you quoted I was referring to a vacuum hose found in the engine bay, not the inside of the car.

But, no matter, as the 4L80E does not have a vacuum controls. It's all electronic.

I had my trans completely rebuilt, being it's a GM trans (4L80-E) when they hooked it up to their computer to test it, it went through the shifting patterns perfectly. However when they hook it up to the car, nothing. It is stuck in "LIMP Mode" and will not go out of 2nd or 3rd. I am trying to find out why.

Not sure about the XJSs but on the X300 cars with the 4L80E there a known problem with damaged wiring at the connector to the transmission. This is caused by a weak transmission mount which allows the trans to move up-down too much

Been going through control modules, trying to find them all is a mess. The trans one according to the "Jaguar Electrical Diagrams" stated on the right side, under the B pillar. There is nothing there but a speaker. I am wondering where else things are in the car that aren't where they are suppose to be?

Heh heh. Just be grateful you're not working on an early car with early manuals :-)

I wonder if the module isn't in the "B/C Post" area of the trunk, rather than "B/C Post" are of the intererior?

For Jaguar to use "passenger side" in describing the location of a part on a car that is sold as both RHD and LHD is pretty silly, though!

Anyway. Any help with this would be MUCH appreciated. I have a new (New to me anyway) beautiful car sitting in my driveway that has a trans with 50 miles on it, and can't do a damn thing with it because it won't shift gears.

Does the engine run well? Any other problems, or any warning lights? For example, a throttle position sensor can cause a running problem and a shifting problem.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

so do you need to change wires cap rotor and what fuel lines to be safe-92 xjs 12 cylinder convertible.

Mark