XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

The Jag goes "poingk!" when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default The Jag goes "poingk!" when accelerating

So I have this odd problem that I can't figure out. And that I may not be able to figure out because of when it happens. Quite at random, when I accelerate whether hard or softly, I will sometimes get this "poingk!" sound coming somewhere from the driver's side. I can't make out if it's coming from the front, the middle, or the rear of the car, but one thing for certain is that you can just feel the vibration is causing it against the door or side (like if my arm is on the armrest). I can't for the life of me figure out any rhyme or reason for when it happens. It can happen whether I am taking first thing in the morning, after it's been run for over an hour, whether I used or not used the hand-brake, etc.

I recently changed out all the coolant hoses on the kitty. And I started to use the hand-brake after I finished this job as well (had never really used the hand-brake before, was no need, still isn't, very flat around here). This noise started happening after this time, so I'm thinking it's either the expansion tank or something to do with the hand-brake, as they both reside and attach along the driver's side. Also, the rear-brakes have not been worked on, and the car sat for five year with the previous owner. I stopped using the hand-brake to see if the noise would go away, but it has not.

The problem, of course, is that it only does it when I accelerate the car, and I have no intentions of hanging outside under the hood or underneath the car while it accelerates. It may be something I haven't even though of. Any ideas on how I may be able to find the culprit? Or maybe one of you knows what causes this noise I'm talking about?

Thanks. "poingk!"

Old 09-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

Only when you accelerate. Not really knowing the sound of a 'poingk', could there be a worn/loose engine or transmission mount. I got some weird sounds turning hard left that was a rear transmission mount that had worn through.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Radius Arm Bush, rear susp?

Old 09-21-2013, 06:49 PM

Well, it struck me to try resting a hand on the hand brake handle while I accelerate to see if I could feel the problem, and it definitely seems that it's the hand brake that's making the sound. I'm thinking that the hand brake is stiff and sticking, and when I accelerate, it's pulling on the cable until it unsticks and then "poingk!" and thus the vibration I feel along the driver's side.

Now I'm worried that the hand brakes aren't loosening since I started using the hand brakes. I can hear SOMETHING scratching towards the rear, though it quiets down once I get to about 20 MPH. Unfortunately, I couldn't reach the hand brake system last time I was under the kitty to work on it, and I haven't time, a partner, or the needed hardware to lower the rear cage at this time.

Should I panic? Ideas?

Old 09-22-2013, 03:25 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

Handbrake dragging, soooooo common.

Simple fix.

Reach under it as best you can, and pry the levers to the OFF position.

Then remember, DO NOT PULL ON THAT LEVER, until its fixed properly, if ever.

I never use ours, the "P" works just fine.

You either have a seized cable, or calipers, or both. Not a simple permanent fix either way.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

I haven't used the hand brake on anything with an auto trans EVER. It's called an "emergency" brake in auto's and a "parking" brake in a manual. After 35 years of driving it's served me well.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
I haven't used the hand brake on anything with an auto trans EVER. It's called an "emergency" brake in auto's and a "parking" brake in a manual. After 35 years of driving it's served me well.
What's the fun in that? How else would you pull off a handbrake turn?

Kidding aside, being a Brit, always using the handbrake was drilled into me when learning to drive. You would fail your driving test if you did not use it correctly. Even today, many decades later, I still use it every time, even on my automatic cars.

Cheers,

Allan

Old 09-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG
What's the fun in that? How else would you pull off a handbrake turn?

Kidding aside, being a Brit, always using the handbrake was drilled into me when learning to drive. You would fail your driving test if you did not use it correctly. Even today, many decades later, I still use it every time, even on my automatic cars.

Cheers,

Allan

Me too!

In doing so the weight of the car is held by the parking brake, not the transmission parking pawl.

This can be especially helpful when parking on a hill. Often the weight of the car against the parking pawl can make it very difficult to shift the car out of "P". Never a problem, though, if the parking brake is set before engaging "P".

Damaged parking pawls are not unheard of by any means. In some cases repair means a transmission tear down.

If nothing else, though, there's no particular reason to *avoid* using the parking brake and, what's more, regular use keeps the mechanisms exercised and operational. 'Tis lack of use that renders most of them inoperative.

Many complain that Jaguar parking brakes are weak. I disagree. They've gripped fiercely on all three of my Jags.....when properly serviced and adjusted.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 PM

"They've (parking/hand brake) gripped fiercely on all three of my Jags" - Doug

This here is what makes we worry, that my hand brake might be stuck and I'll be roasting marshmallows on the side of the road. Question, though: what does a stuck hand brake have to do with repairing the transmission? AFAIK, my transmission is working quite well, and seems to keep the car in place when in "P". Are they somehow related or work together in some way? They look like quite separate systems to me.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Eskr
Question, though: what does a stuck hand brake have to do with repairing the transmission? AFAIK, my transmission is working quite well, and seems to keep the car in place when in "P". Are they somehow related or work together in some way? They look like quite separate systems to me.
No they are not related. What Doug meant is that if you do not use the handbrake you might possibly put an undesirable load on the parking pawl. For example, lets say you are driving along and then park somewhere on a steep hill. (you're in Colorado so I imagine you have a few of those )

Now, if you do what most people in the US do, you will just put the car into park. Now when you take your foot off the brake the car will roll forwards (or backwards) a bit until it is hard against the pawl. That strain could potentially create problems in time.

If however, you apply the handbrake prior to selecting park, the car will not move at all.

Cheers,

Allan

Old 09-25-2013, 07:36 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Also, the rear-brakes have not been worked on, and the car sat for five year with the previous owner. I stopped using the hand-brake to see if the noise would go away, but it has not.
I would check & adjust the handbrake. These are not the easiest to adjust!

I have the clunking trans mount which is common with the "floating" XJ-S rear mount! It is spring loaded...

Old 09-25-2013, 10:20 AM

The only "clunk!" noise I get from the rear is when my trunk (aka, boot for you fellers over there yonder pond) decides to open while I drive. It is a mystery

I swear, I don't have any bodies in the trunk. I'm just happily cruising along, and then I hit a bump or something, and up comes my trunk. I make sure it's nicely locked before I start driving, push it down, pull it up and everything.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

Back on the air, sort of. The system is slow, and I think it is Chrome related, but I am working thru it systematically, much like an 8cyl V12, one step at a time. It was a slow as dial up.

Reading some more.

That Jag certainly got demons in the boot, NOT the trunk. Its British after all, haha.

I would ALSO be looking very carefully at the 4 "V" mounts that keep the rear cradle actually attached to the car. They will/do crack and split, and make some weird noises. Rather difficult to see, but simply jacking it up on the jacking point, and all is quite visible. Sometimes the wheels stay on the ground as the car rises, coz they have seperated totally.

The 2 trailing arm bushes take a battering also, but generally rattle.

The front "pod" mount of each trailing arm (just next to the rear jacking points) rust out, and tear out of the floor, and that would make a "poing" sound I reckon.