XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Jag a write off - parts will be for sale by ICBC

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jag a write off - parts will be for sale by ICBC

Hi guys, I'm sad to announce that my beautiful 92 V12 XJS Conv (British racing Green and Tan top) was written off by ICBC (Vancouver state insurers) this week.

There was a flood and water/mud got into the car to just over the seat bases.

Apparently, here in Vancouver Canada, all cars that are flood damaged are marked to be disassembled and can never be insured as a "whole" car again.

The thing is the car had only done 27,000 km. That is real mileage - no BS. I only ever used it in the summer (And not every summer) and never drove it in the rain.... the irony of that is not lost on me. I have had the car for over 22 years. I had planned to be buried in it.

All the engine fluids and seals were replaced about one month ago and the Wiper motor had just been rebuilt.

The only other damage the flood did was the driver side rear turn signal lens was smashed. I know how rare these are.

The body work was pristine.

The soft top had a couple of small tears in it. It's probably full of mold now anyway.

So if anyone is looking for body parts and a pristine engine... you know where to look.

I'm going to sign off on everything tomorrow - I don't think they can do anything to her before then.

Hope she helps keep some of your treasures going.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:06 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Ian,

Sad to read this.

Having a car written off is bad enough but losing one with that provenance is a disaster. I hope you get a realistic and fair insurance settlement.

Graham

Old 07-13-2016, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Sorry to hear that, man. I grew up in the Florida Keys and that was pretty normal there. The thing is, when a car gets flooded, it has mysterious electrical gremlins for years, and when water gets inside the body, it can rust from the inside out without any real signs.

Are you going to totally break it down, any parts free game, or are you trying to sell it mostly whole?

I'd love some seats, but that is something most people know they can sell for a good price, so Idk if I can afford it. I'd also be interested in the headlights and bezels if you have the euro type, possible the dash top if it is compatible with older cars.

What wheels do you have?

PS: Could always make it a track car ;P

Old 07-13-2016, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 806 Likes on 510 Posts

Very sorry to hear about this... bummer.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:20 AM
Received 161 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm in Uganda now, but will be around the Van area starting the first week in August.

I also have a 1992 V12 convertible. I'm very interested.

Cheers

Old 07-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

That is so sad. Would bum me out too.
Can you sell me the front indicator lights ?

Old 07-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Default Got to clarify....

Sorry guys but I do not have the car anymore. ICBC, the state insurer, has it. They will be breaking it up.

I have not signed the papers yet, so the car should still be intact. I couldn't get there today because I had to wait in for a nice man to fix the flood damaged furnace. I will be signing off tomorrow - I will ask who you should contact to get bits.

And - NO. I did not get a good amount for the car. My choice was take the money offered , I argued it up as much as I could, or take the car back with no money and break it up yourself. It would never be insurable again.... even it I proved I stripped it back to the bare metal. I would have had to find another chassis in as good condition.

I don't believe the water damage was that bad. A creek up hill from us dammed up and a ton of water came our way. We were woken at 2:00 am by firemen banging on the door and we had to evacuate for a few hours. We were on the local news looking very soggy. The jag was at the lowest point in the drive. My 2 other cars were untouched. So the water and mud line was up to about 4 inches below the level of the center console. Small amounts of mud were on seats, I don't know how it got there. The level of the seat is above the water line.

At the time of the accident the only problem with the car was the soft top needed replacing and I had removed the aerial and was about to source a new one.

PS - I've got some pics - I'll try and post them.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:45 PM
Default Pics posted.

Posted some pics in the gallery under - "Flood damaged XJS - West Vancouver"

Hope you can find them, never done this before.

Well looking at them really depressed me. Ho hum.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:30 AM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

This is too late to help this case, but it might be wise to consider insuring with a Stated Value Company, Like Haggarty or Grundy. With these companies you state a realistic value of your car and if they accept your valued, they insure on that amount.
I had a minor collision with another car. (Well below the stated value and my deductible.) Grundy handled the claim perfectly.

Last edited by afterburner1; 07-15-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:31 PM
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

could you please enter the VIN number for your machine at XJSData.com as it allows us to keep track of the XJS as time rolls on. I have personally crushed 10 machines after parting out good salvage parts. Less than 7000 in the UK according to reports, worldwide????? Cars that are lumped should also be reported as they have less value as Jaguar machines. Sorry about your loss. Thanks in advance, best, JW

Old 07-15-2016, 06:00 PM
Default Dr Q - I've updated the XJSdata site.

To find out where you can obtain parts the person to call at ICBC is Jill Reid 604-777 4535.
The Jag is referenced under - AN 34014-1.

I believe this may be the lady I had quite a heated conversation with and demanded to speak to her superior at the end of the call. So I have no desire to call her - you're on your own boys.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Well, win 10 dumped my post in midst of construction.

1. Too bad. That car could've been properly repaired. many flood cars are not properly repaired and enter the market and are forever an issue. Hence the one size fits all "reasoning" to crush them all!!!

2. Sad you were not paid properly. Had I known I might have given you some support. I've never adjusted a Canadian policy loss. More than a few USA ones over 50 years, though!! Do ones own research for value and use comparables. Blue Book alone is inadequate.
Most policies have an Appraisal condition. Disputes as to value resolved this way. Insured picks representative. Insuror picks one.
The two pick a third. those folks come up with the number. Whatever it is governs.

3. A government insurer? Woweee, no wonder. Who regulates them? No one, huh!!!

4. They will not sell parts of it. It will go tyo a junk yard and becomer merchandise,

5.. Get back on the horse. Get another Jaguar

6. Were it possible, I'd be sorely tempted, It isn't so....

Carl.

Carl

Old 07-16-2016, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Ian - I have access to the ICBC write-off auctions through a dealer friend.

If you want the car back, PM me to let me know how much you want to spend.

I could ask my mate to put a bid in on your behalf and even pick it up and deliver it for you ...or maybe it's better to leave it and just move on?

Larry

Old 07-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Now, that is a deal!!! Just to get the car back and beat the rascals at their own game.

Government in auto insurance, Ugh....

Carl

Old 07-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Default Nice idea... but..

...The car can never be insured again - it is logged in their records as dead. It has to be broken up and can no longer exist as a whole. I had several heated phone conversations about this. So I would have to have another XJS to switch parts onto. Also cannibalising my baby would hurt too much... don't think I could do it. Don't have the time anyway.

So, I appreciate the offer but I can't see it working.

Yesterday I signed off on everything. They gave me my plates back and told me to go cancel the insurance. If I'd known the car was going to get scrapped I'd have removed the badge as a reminder... so having the plates helped ease the pain. Then the insurance woman took them off me... wouldn't even let me keep the front one... that hurt.

I will get a Jag again in a few years. That's a promise. Thinking an E-type next time. Shame I won't have my engine to swap into it. That or a brand new one. If you're a Brit there's something coded into your DNA about Jags, Range Rovers, Land Rovers and Moggy 1000s (Travellers especially). We can't stay away from them for long.

Cheer

Ian

Old 07-16-2016, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Ok, understandable. I had a look at the ICBC auction site over coffee this morning and the car is already listed for bids.

When I told the boys your story and how it had such low mileage for a '92, one of the guys said "OK, follow me out of the parking lot, I've got a car to show you" ..

...and here it is, I was allowed to take a photo (but no touch-y )

It's also a 92 Jag, one owner from new ...less than 3000 km on this one!

had to show I.D. to get in to see this!

Bought new in 1992, value has increased somewhat since then.

cheers and commiserations

Larry

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-16-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jag Write off

Is the engine available and do you know if it will fit in an 87 XJS?

Old 07-18-2016, 02:46 PM
Default Engine

The engine was perfect before the flood. The electrics were totally dead after so I could not start it. That was the only time she didn't fire up first time.

No idea if it will fit. I would love it to go to a good home.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Ian!!

Regards,
Frank