XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Keeping heat out O the cabin. Carpet underlay

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Damn Warren, thank You

At the moment I am all in the middle of carpeting,,, seat covering,,, and the rear cage STUFF... When I have all of this stuff together or close,,, I will pull the ecu,,, find some courage,,, then start - probing... I have say this kind of work is WAY beyond my skill set and comfort level.

Where should that .6+ volts go after it leaves the ecu (If that's even what it does)???

ALSO,,, and I hate askimg for more, but is there a photo of the other side? If I can point to the transistor that needs replacing maybe I can just bring it to a computer or electronics guy and tell him "fix THAT thing, right there",,, lol... Electrics make me crazy!

Last edited by JayJagJay; 06-16-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

The 0.6v is the test voltage from the DMM all it is doing is checking the transistor. A transistor is an electronic switch and 0.6-0.8v turns it on.

There should be a sticker on the ECU with a number can you check if it's 36900200 same as mine I am happy for you to send me the ECU and I can replace the transistor I already have a few in stock.

The transistor I am pointing to here is the one that drives the centre vent solenoid. The one for the AC clutch is the left one it has a yellow thing to its left and directly under the D in Delanair.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
The 0.6v is the test voltage from the DMM all it is doing is checking the transistor. A transistor is an electronic switch and 0.6-0.8v turns it on.

There should be a sticker on the ECU with a number can you check if it's 36900200 same as mine I am happy for you to send me the ECU and I can replace the transistor I already have a few in stock.

The transistor I am pointing to here is the one that drives the centre vent solenoid. The one for the AC clutch is the left one it has a yellow thing to its left and directly under the D in Delanair.

AWESOOOOOME, Warrjon! Sorry. I was away a few days.

What an amazing offer! I am so impressed by your electronic skill...
Are you, down under? For some reason I got the sense that you were in Australia...? In a way, I am afraid to put the thing in the mail for fear of LOSS... They are a tough thing to find... Let me think on it a day...?

Anyways, I'm 100 feet deep in restoring the interior... Re-upholstering my seats is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be... Proud to show this photo. Still have a bit more to do on this one,,, will be dragging the PS into the house after work tonight. Took 3-4 casual hours to get it to where it is in the photo.

In a post of yours I read that you replaced the strapping on the back. Mine is brittle and not so flexible. One snapped. Do you have a product you replaced your straps with. I really wouldn't know where to begin.

Got my power steering pump done. A good thing. Few more steps to go on the differential...

Talk soon

Last edited by JayJagJay; 06-19-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member

I have been fixing electronics for a living for nearly 40years so hopefully I have learned a few things lol.

The webbing I used came from a local upholsterer it's what is used in sofas, there is a couple of different types and they range from stiff to soft. Just talk to them and they should point you in the right direction.

Is the lumber bladder leaking? if so I repaired mine with marine Sikaflex and a cable tie.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Warrjon! 40yrs you say!??? Damn great skill to have when messing around with these old cars! Im envious! I have an 86 928, this XJS and a XK8 that, if I had that set O skills, I'd be in a bit of a different place!

Are you in Australia? I'm thinking about the HVAC ecuand the mail... Skerd about it getting lost. Also, I'm so deep in all of the rear cage and upholstery stuff, I'm going to have to wait on the a.c. JUST until I have other things in place.

So yes, there was a leak. Pinhole. I used a good quality bile inner tube repair patch... i didnt see any other spots that appeared weak. I found your thread on the subject and followed much of it. I dremmeled off the old clip, found a stainless steel tube, inserted the tube into a length of silicone vacuum tubing, tight fit, and imserted both into the bladder spout. Secured with silicon adhesive and 2 zip ties. Thank goodness for zip ties. I removed and cleaned and lubed the pump, works very well in forward and reverse. A good thing! For now,,, to hell with heated seats. I couldn't figure it out.

Money was/is a factor. Got my jute backing from these folks!

https://www.albrightssupply.com/Alum...e-p/juteal.htm

Old 06-21-2019, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I am in Australia.

You could take the ECU to a local electronics repair place to get them to replace the ZXT if you find it faulty.

Yeah my seat squab heater don't work but the back rests do probably won't bother to repair them. I've had seat heater in a few cars and never used them.