XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Liquid on the Passenger side, waterlogging the carpets

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 04:04 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Liquid on the Passenger side, waterlogging the carpets

I have a '94 V12 convertible. Lately I've found that a clear liquid is soaking the carpeting in the passenger side .At first I thought maybe I had a leaking window, after puting it through the carwash, but it happens all the time now, even when I put it away with the carpets dried out, and on a sunny warm day... So... Now I believe something is leaking into that area. What could it be? Has anyone else had this issue please? The liquid is clear, and without smell.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,915 Likes on 1,666 Posts

It could be condensate leaking from the aircon system.
If the drain tubes are blocked then it will overflow in to the footwell.
I think there is a tube each side of the gearbox; get underneath and stick a wire up them to see if they are blocked.
Be prepared to get wet!

Old 08-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

Could be heater core leaking, rusted out.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem but worse, both footwells were sopping wet. It was blocked ac drain hoses. Could not believe how much water came out. Fortunately, this fix was quick and free. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,915 Likes on 1,666 Posts

If it was rusty heater core the liquid wouldn't be clear would it?
I'd have thought it would have been brown.
Or rust coloured.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

A leaking heater core would also smell notably. It certainly can be detected in my car with its leaking heater core when I turn the heater on (full cool doesn't seem to affect it). Also, coolant wouldn't normally be clear. Green or red or something. I agree it's almost certainly condensate, especially at this time of year when the aircon gets well used.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Probably rust under the windscreen chrome, like nearly all facelifts get...

Old 08-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default water in floors

I own a 93 XJS coupe. I have experienced water in both foot wells. This issue for both sides was a clogged drain tube(s) from the AC. Each tube is located behind the insulation under the dash at the front of the console. They are clear plastic tubes. They are connected to flow downward exiting water to the road surface. There is a plastic connector that separates the tubing, in order to drain any clogs. The clog is in the upper part of the tubing. Be sure to have a grip vise on the lower section when removing the connector. Use a coat hanger to push upward freeing the clog. I have also used canned compressed air.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:57 AM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts

I had a similar issue, but mine was caused by the deteriorated condition of the windshield gasket. Had to remove the windshield and replace the gasket. Hasn't leaked since.

Thanks,
John
1987 XJ-S V12
70,000 miles

Old 08-05-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by MHF25
I own a 93 XJS coupe. I have experienced water in both foot wells. This issue for both sides was a clogged drain tube(s) from the AC. Each tube is located behind the insulation under the dash at the front of the console. They are clear plastic tubes. They are connected to flow downward exiting water to the road surface. There is a plastic connector that separates the tubing, in order to drain any clogs. The clog is in the upper part of the tubing. Be sure to have a grip vise on the lower section when removing the connector. Use a coat hanger to push upward freeing the clog. I have also used canned compressed air.
Pretty sure this is the issue. Now I just need to find the tubes... I pulled up the carpeting and the rubber insulation, but still can't find the tubes... Ugh!

Old 08-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dborthwick
Pretty sure this is the issue. Now I just need to find the tubes... I pulled up the carpeting and the rubber insulation, but still can't find the tubes... Ugh!
its not in cabin. its in engine bay.

The following users liked this post:
dborthwick (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by dborthwick
If they are like the pre facelifts, look under the car, each side of the gearbox towards the front of the box, for a plastic tube hanging straight down. they are not obvious, but they are there.

dborthwick (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default drain tube location

Remove the foot panel to the right of the accelerator. This panel (on my XJS) has an air vent. I am going to just refer to the driver's side. Same applies for the passenger side. Once the panel is removed, you will notice some insulation and other component wiring. The tube you are seeking is hidden. It is at the back end of this space. Take you time and slide you hand toward the back. Pushing aside (to the right) some of the wiring. You will NOT have to remove anything. The object is to locate the tubing. The tubing is the size of a drinking straw (but a bit smaller). It is white - not clear. The tubing will be vertically positioned. The tube blends in with everything surrounding it. It is not insulated or wrapped. Once you see it, reach in and pull the tubing up and toward you. The lower end of the tubing (toward the bottom) is more flexible. You will notice a tube splice connector. This is how you access the clogged area. At this point, have something on hand to secure the bottom section of the tubing. Small clamp, vise-grip, etc. Also have a towel on hand. Place it in the driver foot well to catch the excess water. There will be a lot of water- initially. Have a coat hanger, piano wire, picture hanging wire, or compressed air can at the ready. Clamp the lower tubing. Just be sure to keep it from falling down - out of reach. Pull tubing apart. The water will burst out from the upper tubing. Once the water has finished draining, take the wire and push it up into the upper wire. That is where the clog will be. There will be more water to follow. Once you are satisfied the clog has been freed, remove the wire and push it into the lower tubing, just to insure the whole tube is unclogged. Reconnect everything. Replace the foot panel. Remove the soaked towel. Now do the same procedure for the passenger side. I have fabricated a piece of a coat hanger to have on hand for future drain clogs. Hope this helps. Mert

dborthwick (08-06-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Default Thank you...

Thank you so much for all the help. This forum really is spectacular at identifying issues and solving them.