XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Live And Learn

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts
Default Live And Learn

I had a conversation recently with someone for whom I have deep respect, and the subject of V12s came up. I mentioned I had no desire to own one for several reasons:

1) They have a Terrible reputation for almost everything almost everywhere except in XJS forums

2) V12s are not known for great fuel economy,

3) Parts are expensive and not readily available (certainly not like Chevy parts for example),

4) I've never seen one for real as they're scarce in these parts,

5) I don't know that I've ever heard one outside of a televised Le Mans or such,

6) There is no one close by who could teach me to properly care for one as I have NO experience with such temperamental machinery,

7) From reading in here and other XJS forums it seems owners tinker with their engines way more than they drive them. However, this could be because those driving their cars have neither time nor reason to post so I'll back down a bit from that one.

After rattling off some of these, I could tell that he was Seriously disappointed with my attitude. Husband said I should at least find out what one sounds like so I searched YouTube and found the clip below. It's 32 minutes long but it's pretty good, although it's another race and not indicative of real world conditions.

But, after watching this I may have to modify my opinion.
(';')

Old 07-16-2015, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Great video :-) The sound is a bit intoxicating.

I think Jag V12 are really cool engines. I love 'em. Quirky, but the learning curve makes the rewards that much more satisfying. I'm on my second V12 Jag right now.....and perfectly comfortable working on it.

I love V8s, too. Grew up with 'em. Musclecars, USA luxury cars, hot rod boats (dear lord....I'm lucky to be alive) . Nowadays I still spend lots time working on old cars with V8s. In my workshop right now is a 1970 Trans Am, 1969 Boss 302 Mustang, and 1971 Mustang Mach 1 429.

You don't have to choose one and forsake the other. It's possible to love both

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Bc xj (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 01:20 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Well said. Nothing to add.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:19 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

I'm with Doug 100%.

My many V12's were a tad sad when getting adopted by me/us.

Doug and I are also on the same page, as "Get the thing back to spec ONCE, do it properly, no shortcuts", and then drive the pants off the thing. The "grazing attitude" (Dougs excellant saying), is sooooooo true with the V12. That way will NEVER have you NOT tinkering with it.

Her S2 XJ12 topped 500000kms not so long ago, and the engine is stock and original, never been opened up, even for cam cover gaskets. The bolt ons, no, rebuilt back in 1994, not touched since.

Our XJ-S HE was a tad sad on day 1. Then 6 weeks later all done. Took us twice around our island (20000kms each time), and an oil light switch was the only failure. Replaced with a Ford switch (stolen from a wreck in the middle of our outback), and that was all.

That video is COOL. That V12 sound is ONE OF A KIND, racer or road car, that thing at 5000rpm+ is like no other sound on this planet, and I am NOT biased, HAHAHA. Just ask Greg in France?.

Just hope the S Types prove as reliable. So far so good. Looked a shoehorning a V12 into the Black car, NAH, simple not doable.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 07-16-2015 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Great sound! Would love to hear that in person. Only one question. Why is the wiper mid windshield?
RagJag

Old 07-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Originally Posted by RagJag
Great sound! Would love to hear that in person. Only one question. Why is the wiper mid windshield?
RagJag
Only need to wipe that small area just in front of the driver, and all the other items that are "missing" removes weight from the car, and also means LESS moving parts to go wrong.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Guys, I'm glad you enjoyed the clip.

Doug:
At this time I simply do not have the time or space to dedicate to another car of any kind let alone a V12. Not only that, we've already bought Nix again in parts in the past 8 or 9 months so the bank will need Quite a rest after she's finally done.

My/our skill set doesn't include V12, but there was a time it didn't include V6 either until Wart came to live with us. I cut teeth on Chevy and John Deere (You can take the girl off the farm but you can Never get the dirt out of her blood!).

Nix is my first excursion into British engineering (husband drove an Austin Healey when we met), and I'm grateful she at least had a familiar drive train because some of the other things we've encountered seem nothing short of Caractacus Potts!

I'm intrigued by your collection of Classic Detroit Iron; Icons of American Automobilia. I've never seen some of those.

Grant:
I get that; "do it right the first time and leave it alone." That's what we're trying to do with Nix. I Don't like piece-meal fix-its! I've had to do that sometimes, on my work truck for example, when it HAD to be back on the road TOMORROW with a Band-aid solution. But Band-aids come off and it's not usually a pretty sight.

My/our Colossal ignorance of V12s (except for the normal internal combustion stuff) is almost paralyzing. IF one was to come here, it (and the car around it) would have to be in Excellent working order, blessed with the Jaguar gods' Seal of Approval, because I wouldn't have the first idea where to start if it wasn't.

I will say that your experience driving yours, and a few others I've read about in here, lead me to believe the V12 is not particularly forgiving (unlike what I grew up with), has to be *Right* in the beginning, but if it is it will run nearly forever. If it isn't right in the beginning, it will be nothing but trouble.

I'll keep the idea in the back of my mind now rather than reject it out of hand. But First, Nix has to be back on the road.
(';')

Grant Francis (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, I figured Doug would come along and clear things up. I find all IC's interesting and fun. From three old one bangers I have on up.

Neat video. Unfortunately, I've never gotten any of my sound systems to work on this machine. But, as I am hearing challenged, oh well.

Jag V12, Porsche and Mustang in a tussle. As good as it gets.

Jag electrics coming along.

Carl

LnrB (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
I'm intrigued by your collection of Classic Detroit Iron; Icons of American Automobilia. I've never seen some of those.

Heh heh, I wish I could say they were mine. They're part of the collection I take care of. Many years ago I got out of the musclecar hobby ....and then found out I didn't have anywhere near enough money to get back in. That's one of the reasons I ended up being a Jag-lover . In 2008 a wonderful family that loves cars hired me full time to take care of their babies.....allowing me to keep my hands on the good old Detroit Iron as well as sports cars, etc.

Jaguar content: this is just blurry cell phone pic but I betting some sharp eye viewers can pic out some Jag V12 bits

Cheers
DD

Attached Thumbnails Live And Learn-mustangs.jpg  
Old 07-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug;1268347[...
Jaguar content: this is just blurry cell phone pic but I betting some sharp eye viewers can pic out some Jag V12 bits

Cheers
DD
Wow, Doug, that was HARD!!

Even I can count to 12! LOL
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
Doug (07-16-2015), Grant Francis (07-17-2015)