XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking for advice

My 1994 XJS V12 2+2 Convertible has sat idle for 6 years in a heated and air conditioned space. I am going to attempt to get it running again. I replaced the battery and it fired right up. I let it run a couple of minutes, and ran it forward and back about 20 feet a couple of times. The tires are shot, and to be safe I am having it towed in for service. I would assume all fluids should be replaced, and systems flushed. Surprisingly there are no indications of leaks as yet. It was running okay 6 years ago, but the tires needed replacing then. Any other suggestions for initial inspection/service? Longer term I would like to increase cooling under the hood, and free up the exhaust restrictions. Any other good to do mods? Not looking to increase performance per se, but if it would be good for the long term health of the vehicle, I would be interested. I did have an episode with one bank of cylinders not firing and one pair of cts glowing cherry red. That was fixed, but not modified, should I consder modifying the ignition system?
Thaks
​​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
dborthwick (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

If a V12 and the cat problem (being a non firing ignition on on ebank leading to raw fuel passing through that bank and burning in the cat) has been fixed, and the car starts and runs OK, then I would start by doing all the regular service things that have not been done for a decade: eg
Renew all belts
Recharge aircon
Renew all hoses and change antifreeze (VERY important), pull radiator and clean out the rubbish blocking the fins of both stacks
New plugs, HT leads, dizzy cap and rotor, do the Marelli dizzy/rotor shaft anti-tracking fix
A careful look at brake rotor condition and pads, change if any doubts
Change brake fluid
Grease rear axle
Renew all fluids in engine, box and diff
New wiper bllades
DRIVE IT HARD
Greg

The following 4 users liked this post by Greg in France:
dborthwick (02-10-2017), Grant Francis (02-10-2017), orangeblossom (02-10-2017), xjsv12 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 05:11 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

I'm with Greg.

When you are DRIVING it HARD, find a pub, and have a drink.

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
dborthwick (02-10-2017), orangeblossom (02-10-2017), xjsv12 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks for the advice

I will do as you suggest. Some of this has been done about 8 years ago. I will let the technician decide on the belts and plugs. One question, if the cats on one bank got cherry red (throwing sparks), is it likely that the insides are melted and more restrictive than usual? Should they be inspected ?
Thanks again for your advice, I have little experience working on cars myself, and need to know if what the technician suggests is reasonable. I know that this car will cost a lot to maintain, but the wife loves it. My love is somewhat tempered by The costs involved. It is however a beautiful car, and a pleasure to drive.
​​​​​​​Mike

Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by atrab1
I will do as you suggest. Some of this has been done about 8 years ago. I will let the technician decide on the belts and plugs. One question, if the cats on one bank got cherry red (throwing sparks), is it likely that the insides are melted and more restrictive than usual? Should they be inspected ?
Thanks again for your advice, I have little experience working on cars myself, and need to know if what the technician suggests is reasonable. I know that this car will cost a lot to maintain, but the wife loves it. My love is somewhat tempered by The costs involved. It is however a beautiful car, and a pleasure to drive.
​​​​​​​Mike
Excellent wife you have. Hold on to her! Do not ask your garage tech; Instruct him to fit new plugs, HT leads, dizzy cap, rotor, hoses and belts. Believe me, you will find these words coming back to haunt you if you do not. This is maintenance catchup, and once done you will be fine. Madame will NOT be pleased if a hose lets go one summer evening! Also, once the backlog of maintenance is done, these cars are not particularly ruinous to maintain, neither are the bits expensive .
One other thing I forgot: the fuel filter should be changed.
Your point about the cat is very well made. It should be obvious if a new one was fitted at the time as it will look new compared with the rest of the exhaust. If not, then a new one should definitely be, as it will be solidified a molten mass inside. The point of the ignition system renewal items listed is to prevent a recurrence of this very problem.
Greg

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
BradsCat (02-10-2017), Grant Francis (02-11-2017), orangeblossom (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Excellent wife you have. Hold on to her! Do not ask your garage tech; Instruct him to fit new plugs, HT leads, dizzy cap, rotor, hoses and belts. Believe me, you will find these words coming back to haunt you if you do not. This is maintenance catchup, and once done you will be fine. Madame will NOT be pleased if a hose lets go one summer evening! Also, once the backlog of maintenance is done, these cars are not particularly ruinous to maintain, neither are the bits expensive .
One other thing I forgot: the fuel filter should be changed.
Your point about the cat is very well made. It should be obvious if a new one was fitted at the time as it will look new compared with the rest of the exhaust. If not, then a new one should definitely be, as it will be solidified a molten mass inside. The point of the ignition system renewal items listed is to prevent a recurrence of this very problem.
Greg

Spend a little on the front end now will save you LOTS later.
If in doubt about the Cat's change them both. Original equipment had two on each side. You can replace with one only on each side. Aftermarket is fine. Any decent muffler guy can do the job. Show him though, don't ask him. Nothing special just because its a Jag. It's just an exhaust part.

The following 2 users liked this post by BradsCat:
Greg in France (02-20-2017), orangeblossom (02-11-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by atrab1
should I consder modifying the ignition system?
Thaks
​​​​​​​
No, the Marelli ignition system is far better than the Lucas (duck for cover). Porsche and Ferrari used it, infact the Jaguar Marelli rotor will fit the Ferrari 400i and neither of these cars had ignition failures.

Anyway the infamous Marelli failure is IMO caused by lack of maintenance, primarily not replacing the front 4 spark plugs. I've had my car for 8 years and done 10000's miles and no issue with the ignition.

If the rotor and cap are genuine Marelli and in good condition DO NOT replace them, they are better quality than the aftermarket replacements, I have a set of both. The aftermarket caps have aluminium posts where the genuine have brass posts.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Grant Francis (02-11-2017), orangeblossom (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
No, the Marelli ignition system is far better than the Lucas
+1

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-11-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 06:06 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

if you are looking for tires and rims, I have 5 great 16" tires Michelin and chrome matching rims as I replaced them for 15" stock so I could show the car for points.
I'm in Charleston WV