XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

OBD 2 diagnostic tool for 1996 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default OBD 2 diagnostic tool for 1996 XJS

I been having an ongoing problem ( high idle)with cleaning my throttle because of high idle and having to reset my ECU/ECM values by the local jag dealiship.

I would need a recommendation for a OBD 2 reader that has codes and particular for the 1996 jag xjs.

I do not own a lap top but do own a APPLE IPhone and IPAD. Have there been developed a iOS APP that will provide appropriate solution for older 1996 cars.

If not, is there a self contained reader that you can recommend I should purchase.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Robert,

I would suggest that a very cheap way of doing it is to buy DashCommand for your iPhone. Remember that the locked-down nature of the iPhone bluetooth capability means that you'll need to buy an ELM327 Wifi OBDII connector, not a bluetooth one. This setup will work fine on the XJS.

Good luck

Paul

Old 11-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

No, there is nothing for Apple that will help resolve your problem.

i have a Mongoose clone and even that cannot reset my adaptations. It can do everything else, including resetting the throttle for a new Potentiometer.

Buying an Elm27 device and buying an app will only get you a standard OBD2 code reading device with perhaps the ability to monitor data live.

I use Yhasi Movi for my Apple laptop. You can check that out.

It does nothing Jaguar specific, such as read ABS codes, but I canmonotor and graph things like throttle position, coolant temp, intake air temp, O2 readings, etc.

It does read and clear "P" codes as well.

The following users liked this post:
tompullizzi (12-19-2022)
Old 11-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

Note also that the V12 only supports OBD1 and no standard readers read it. All codes are jaguar specific. If yours is the 6cyl, then you can read obdII. You could get a cheap android tablet and elm327 Bluetooth and use the torque app. Then the apple device can stay inside and just look cool. There are many elm327 devices and not all work or some may have reduced functions. You can get them for<$10 and tablets for $50.

Last edited by dsetter; 11-29-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

I had success with my faltering idle by replacing all the old engine control devices such as plugs and coils, CPS and IAC valve. Last was the CPS which smoothed the idle to 600 rpm perfectly. I have purchased a TPS but haven't had to install it. A fast idle developed and was fixed by a new EGR valve. At present the engine idles at 600 rpm with no misses. I have not used a PDU or OBD device on the car. Quite pleasant to drive like this.

I have had no shop, dealer or independent look at the car, thus saving quite a sum of money. I cringe when I read posts of how expensive this idle problem had become for some of our members.
Cheers, RagJag

The following users liked this post:
tompullizzi (12-19-2022)
Old 11-29-2014, 11:52 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Can you describe your "faltering" idle problem?

Old 11-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

Robert,

If I understood your post correctly, you wanted something for reading engine OBDII codes rather than resetting throttle etc. As I said, DashCommand works fine on an iPhone with a Wifi ELM327 plug-in on your 96 4.0 XJS. Total cost £10.

Of course if you want to get into much more functionality, you are probably looking at Mongoose cable equivalent.

Paul

Old 11-29-2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Vee
No, there is nothing for Apple that will help resolve your problem.

i have a Mongoose clone and even that cannot reset my adaptations. It can do everything else, including resetting the throttle for a new Potentiometer.

Buying an Elm27 device and buying an app will only get you a standard OBD2 code reading device with perhaps the ability to monitor data live.

I use Yhasi Movi for my Apple laptop. You can check that out.

It does nothing Jaguar specific, such as read ABS codes, but I canmonotor and graph things like throttle position, coolant temp, intake air temp, O2 readings, etc.

It does read and clear "P" codes as well.
VEE......

THANKS ALL.
After I purchased the xjs I had a high idle. It was uncontrollable, went from 1200rpm to 3000 rom and back when I turned off engine to temp reset.

A friend was able to get me an appointment at local JAG dealer for very low cost.

The car had the throttle cleaned and all parameters and adaptations reset.
Car after that service stay at 600 rpm, until now.

It started the other day to begin an increase in idle speed all over again
It is at 1500 rpm at start of engine.
It will then set my idle speed up to 3000rpm while driving car. It causes the speed to be at app 23 mph without me pressing accelerator.
When I come to a light it sometimes reverts back to 1500 rpm or I must turn off engine to stop high idle.
I have cleaned the throttle again, it was full of grime again, with no changes in the idle.

My car was one that was recalled in 1996, the EGR was changed, ECM had proms installed and a new throttle spring was installed. This all was done to clear up idle control problems.

I had hoped that I would be able to purchase a reader and perform the appropriate resets and changes to my xjs to lower the idle memory stored in my ECU.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:42 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

You will not be able to.

I would strongly recommend you replace your TPS. Buy it from JDHT. It'll be an OEM device and then you can install it and pay the Jag dealer $150 to reset the parameters.

Some people seem to have fixed the problem with the TPS replacement, although most seem to need to parameter reset at the dealer.

The Mongoose I have cost me $150 and can reset the TPS settings, but you might need the parameters reset. If that's the case, there is nothing 3rd party that can do that for you.

I recommend buying the TPS and moving from there.

How long did your idle remain stable at 600? It's odd that it moved back, which is why I think your TPS is bad.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Vee
You will not be able to.

I would strongly recommend you replace your TPS. Buy it from JDHT. It'll be an OEM device and then you can install it and pay the Jag dealer $150 to reset the parameters.

Some people seem to have fixed the problem with the TPS replacement, although most seem to need to parameter reset at the dealer.

The Mongoose I have cost me $150 and can reset the TPS settings, but you might need the parameters reset. If that's the case, there is nothing 3rd party that can do that for you.

I recommend buying the TPS and moving from there.

How long did your idle remain stable at 600? It's odd that it moved back, which is why I think your TPS is bad.
I have found this, are these the codes I need Generic and Jaguar specific OBD-II Diagnostic Trouble Codes

I am still trying to locate a OBD2 reader for 1996 jaguar xjs

Last edited by RobertL; 11-30-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 11-30-2014, 10:24 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

Here are your options:

1. Buy a standard code reader. It'll run you anywhere from about $16 and up. It'll read all the P codes and it plugs right in, so no software, laptop or smartphone needed. It will not pull any Jaguar specific codes, such as ABS codes. But the P codes do cover most everything.

2. Buy the Mongoose. They make clones, which are cheaper, but service and help is spotty.

3. Buy Enginuity. This one is about $1,000. I believe this will pull all Jaguar specific codes.

What is it that you are looking to do exactly?

There is NOTHING for your smartphone or Apple laptop out there that will read Jaguar specific codes.

Old 11-25-2021, 12:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Can U share with me the solution to your issue with high idle?
I am having the same exact problem.
Thxs

Old 11-25-2021, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

vmaxie,

As you can see, RobertL last posted on his forum over 6.5 years ago. So, sadly, is unlikely to reply to you.

Perhaps start a new thread with your exact symptoms etc which may elicit hep from other forum members.

Cheers

Paul

Old 05-07-2022, 08:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RagJag
I had success with my faltering idle by replacing all the old engine control devices such as plugs and coils, CPS and IAC valve. Last was the CPS which smoothed the idle to 600 rpm perfectly. I have purchased a TPS but haven't had to install it. A fast idle developed and was fixed by a new EGR valve. At present the engine idles at 600 rpm with no misses. I have not used a PDU or OBD device on the car. Quite pleasant to drive like this.

I have had no shop, dealer or independent look at the car, thus saving quite a sum of money. I cringe when I read posts of how expensive this idle problem had become for some of our members.
Cheers, RagJag

The 1996 XJS I purchased is the same car that belonged to this member above "RagJag" (there was one other owner for 1 year in between I believe) I'm not sure what happened to RagJag? I can't reach him though a direct message. What I can say is the idle problem was present when I acquired the vehicle.