XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Is it okay to use starting fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:07 PM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Is it okay to use starting fluid

Before I start taking things off, is it okay to squirt some starter fluid in the driver side butterfly to see if it starts ? If it does not try to start then I will know it is electrical problem, fuel pump, filter, etc.
I already know passenger bank is dead

Old 09-07-2017, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I don't see a problem with starting fluid but don't run it for long with a dead bank!

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
macdoesit (09-09-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

All that's going to tell you if if you're getting a spark and compression in at least some of the banks cylinders.

I'd put a spark tester on it and spin it over. Same info, but with a dead bank I wouldn't want it to run. Unless you're thinking compression is an issue.

What's wrong with the other bank?

Old 09-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Never, ever, use it for anything.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

I wouldn't recommend it, as it could wipe the Oil off the Bores.

Much better to get the Engine set up and then She will Start on the Button.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
I wouldn't recommend it, as it could wipe the Oil off the Bores.

How?

Cheers
DD

macdoesit (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NorthCat
Never, ever, use it for anything.

"Never" is one of those really problematic words.

Cheers
DD

macdoesit (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Starting fluid is merely Ether. Lower flammability than gasoline. That is why reluctant engines will fire on it.

As it vaporizes quickly, I think it is less likely to "wash the bores" than an engine "flooded" on gasoline.

I don't recall using it on my Jaguar or Jeep.

I have used it on my "lawn" engines. So far, no harm?

But, yes, my picky son is revolted by it. He is a pretty smart guy on IC engines. Many of various genre in his "fleet'. Including a WWII vintage
Dodge Weapons Carrier turned heavy duty fork lift!!!

Carl

macdoesit (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Any product can be misused

I've heard strong admonitions against using ether on diesel engines...and there are probably others...but I've frankly never heard of it causing a problems on oldies as we're discussing here.

If an otherwise non-starting engine will fire for a couple moments following a shot of starting fluid you at least know the ignition system is fundamentally operational, the engine has something more than zero compression, and the cylinders are getting some air.

A much less convenient alternative is to dram the cylinders: remove the the spark plugs a dribble in a few drops of gasoline. Same thing; if the engine runs for a couple seconds you know you have all the fundamentals.... except fuel.

OTOH, if a quick shot of ether makes no difference then you're probably missing one of the other elements of internal combustion.

After determining what fundamental you're missing you can begin the journey of setting up your engine to start on the button

Cheers
DD

macdoesit (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,147 Likes on 671 Posts

I agree with Doug as any product can be misused. A couple quick squirts won't hurt a thing and gives the indication if all other systems are functioning as others have said. So don't squirt a half can of ether in it as that could cause it to wash the oil off the cylinder walls and won't help a thing.
The problem with using either on some, or actually most all diesels from the modern era is the fact they have some type of heating system, a heater grid in the intake or, a glo plug in the cylinder, to help light off the diesel when it is squirted into the engine, since ether is so much more flammable then diesel, the instant it sees a glo plug, or heater grid in the intake it goes KABOOOOMMMMMM!!!! Very violently and can easily do mechanical damage. Most usually it simply blows the air cleaner housing and tubes all apart. Kind of depends on how much ether you got in before it went bang!

macdoesit (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi Doug

What could be gained from trying to start an engine that has one bank dead in favor of getting it set up correctly and testing each part of the system as its worked through.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Doug

What could be gained from trying to start an engine that has one bank dead in favor of getting it set up correctly and testing each part of the system as its worked through.

There's no pretense or implication that using ether replaces testing each part of the system. Using ether is, itself, a test.

If ether is used on the 'good' bank and the engine starts, we know that that bank has air, spark, and compression ...and is lacking fuel.

If either is used on the dead bank, and the engine starts, then we know that the dead bank has air, spark and compression... and is lacking fuel.

If ether makes no difference on either bank then we probably don't have a fuel problem and probably are lacking air, spark, or compression.

In reality, air and compression are seldom the problem. It's usually spark or fuel. Pick which will be you're stepping off point . On a fuel injected car I usually begin by checking for spark.....but that's just me.

There's no way to provide substitute spark. However, ether easily replaces gasoline for testing purposes. If you determine, from using ether, that you have a fueling problem you then proceed in a methodical manner to diagnose and repair the actual fault.

Or..... you can check for spark first. If no spark then you proceed in a methodical manner to diagnose and repair the fault.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
89 Jacobra (09-09-2017), macdoesit (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doug
Any product can be misused

I've heard strong admonitions against using ether on diesel engines...and there are probably others...but I've frankly never heard of it causing a problems on oldies as we're discussing here.

If an otherwise non-starting engine will fire for a couple moments following a shot of starting fluid you at least know the ignition system is fundamentally operational, the engine has something more than zero compression, and the cylinders are getting some air.

A much less convenient alternative is to dram the cylinders: remove the the spark plugs a dribble in a few drops of gasoline. Same thing; if the engine runs for a couple seconds you know you have all the fundamentals.... except fuel.

OTOH, if a quick shot of ether makes no difference then you're probably missing one of the other elements of internal combustion.

After determining what fundamental you're missing you can begin the journey of setting up your engine to start on the button

Cheers
DD
Thank you Doug,
You explained exactly, my intentions with the starting fluid.

Last edited by macdoesit; 09-09-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 AM
Banned

Used the starter fluid on both banks, no sign of life. Next I will pull a plug wire each bank if no spark will pull each coil wire if no spark replace coils if still no start then cap and rotor if still no start then set on fire collect insurance. LOL

89 Jacobra (09-14-2017)