XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

The Plan: Hopefully not biting off too much

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The Plan: Hopefully not biting off too much

Ok, Saturday I plan to pull the XJS into the bay and begin the service I've been planning. Here's what's on the Menu:

1. Oil Change
2. Replace the Cam Cover gaskets (including spark plug rings and half moons).
3. Replace the power steering pump.
4. Bleed the brake system
5. Swap all the bushings on the rear suspension that are perished (ie all of them).
6. Radiator drain and refill.

I've about decided to wait till the next oil change (Octoberish) to do the ATF and rear diff fluids. I've got new hoses and belts that I can put on sometime soon too.

So for a fairly new wrench turner, does it sound like I need to split this out over more days?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  19.3 KB

decent sized list there Cad.....hope all goes to plan and looking forward to the write up

Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Sounds like a long, hard weekend's worth of work. Better research what tools you might need to change all the rear suspension bushings. I think that will be your toughest task.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Better stock up on the beer oh I mean coffee....

When changing the plugs be sure to clean out the junk form around the plug so I does not fall into the cylinder. edit - Before you pull them out

I would probably break it up over a couple of weekends, dropping the rear cage can be a PIA - I am about to tackle mine just bought the new Bilsteins. May as well totally dismantle it clean it up and give it a coat of paint while I am in there.

Being 94 your would have outboard disks but I would check Diff seals etc and renew the fluid while you have it out.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You can do it, but you might want to allow yourself some extra time. I'd spread it out over a couple of weekends, as suggested. Sometimes things like this can run you into waiting for parts if something doesn't go right, or you might find that you don't have a tool you need.

It's best to take your time, and make sure you have plenty of it so you can relax and do it properly.

These things aren't difficult, but as warrjon has suggested, take the time to refresh the parts you remove as you do the job.

For the rear suspension, it's best to have a lift or rent one. These things can be done without one, but it's not ideal, and requires some inventiveness with the jack stands and a lot of frustration. I'm shuffling six tall stands around under the Rover right now, and it isn't fun.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

I would the rear bushings as its own project. Everything else is doable in a day. I have a '95 and did the same thing during the spring time. I do need to change the diff fluid fairly soon. On the P/S pump; do yourself a favor and buy a rebuild with the adapter mounted to it - saves much heartburn. Coventry West sells them.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Roger95
I would the rear bushings as its own project. Everything else is doable in a day. I have a '95 and did the same thing during the spring time. I do need to change the diff fluid fairly soon. On the P/S pump; do yourself a favor and buy a rebuild with the adapter mounted to it - saves much heartburn. Coventry West sells them.
Yep, after looking into rebuild/seal kits I ended up with the very same Coventry West rebuilt one you reference. Since I'm waiting for a tool to aid me in the cam cover project, the P/S pump may end up being the first project.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:04 AM
Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the same ride in green. !

I second the emotion to do the rear bushings on its own day. I would also add the radiator flush to that same day.

How do you plan on bleeding the brake system. I've been trying to bleed mine for an embarassingly long time now. Seems like no matter what I do there is always air int he lines. Lately Ive been pumping the fluid out with a hand pump from the auto store. I've guessing there i a leak somewhere on my system unless I am doing it wrong.

I do this sequence, rear right, rear left, front right, front left. When I do the rear I leave the ignition on, since that is what I was told.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
Yep, after looking into rebuild/seal kits I ended up with the very same Coventry West rebuilt one you reference. Since I'm waiting for a tool to aid me in the cam cover project, the P/S pump may end up being the first project.
The P/S pump is a GM unit. At least on my 89 sorry I don't have the later 4.0L books

If yours is like mine and down underneath everything I would look at a later GM unit with remote reservoir to aid ease of fluid replacement. I have to add fluid with a hose on the end of a funnel.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member

Just thought I would add that I am waiting for a new set of Bilstiens hopefully hear next week. Then out with the rear cage and a full overhaul. If anyone is interested I can take photos and upload.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by warrjon
Just thought I would add that I am waiting for a new set of Bilstiens hopefully hear next week. Then out with the rear cage and a full overhaul. If anyone is interested I can take photos and upload.
That would be very helpful.