XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Power seat and convertible top gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power seat and convertible top gremlins

I took the 92 XJS convertible out for a long highway trip yesterday. Car ran well but after the trip I put on the parking brake to put the top back up and the top seems not to recognize the brake is on. Brake handle makes normal engaging and disengaging sounds and the dash light shows its engaged, but the motor for the top doesn't start with it engaged. It worked fine to put it down in the morning.

On top of that I decided to see if the parking brake needed adjustment and moved the driver's side seat all the way forward to get to the adjustment behind the seat. Now the seat won't move back. The other buttons on the power seat work, the back rest moves, it moves forward, etc but it wont move back. The passenger seat is fine. Again, moving the seat backward was working earlier that same day as well. Any thoughts on what's going on and these two issues be at all connected?

Thanks

Old 11-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Twee Twee,

I would think it very unlikely that the 2 issues are connected.

Just as a suggestion, try pulling on the handbrake one more notch. Those handbrake switches can be temperamental and are the usual cause of hood problems. The other possibility is the hood switch itself. Try operating it back and forward a few times. If not, VERY carefully remove it (the switch plinth can break easily) and swap it over with a window switch.

You can obviously raise the roof manually but that won't get the windows up. You'd have to do that applying power to the output side of the UP windows relays.

Re the seat: Have you tried "helping" it a bit manually as you press the switch in case it has got stuck at the end of its travel?

Good luck

Paul

The following users liked this post:
TweeTwee (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 10:56 AM

Paul,

Thanks so much. I went through pulling the handbrake notch by notch twice and eventually found a position where the top decided to work. I am planning to have the rear brakes serviced soon, is there something I can do or check on the parking brake to stop it from being so temperamental? I am not sure how the hookup from the handbrake to the top is set up.

The seat is still stuck. when I press the switch I can hear the click of the relay under the dash. but the motor in the seat never gets the signal. Since the other seat movement directions all work and they are all on the same fuse I assume the fuse is good. I'd be interested if anyone knows what can fail between the fuse and the seat?

thanks again

Old 11-09-2015, 07:49 AM

Does anyone know what I should check for the seat? Thanks

Old 11-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

TweeTwee,

The handbrake switch position that enables the hood to operate is not dependent on how well the handbrake is adjusted for the brakes, but merely to do with the position of the lever vis a vis the contact switch which is mounted in the on the lever mechanism. So just check the handbrake and switch positions plus the wiring integrity.

As regards the seat, have you tried pushing it forward as you press the switch to "help" it if it's got stuck at the end of travel? The motor could have failed, but is less likely.

Good luck

Paul

TweeTwee (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 03:41 PM

Thanks so much, I'll check the switch. As to the seat, trying to help it doesn't seem to do anything. I was going to pull the seat to try to check connections to the ECU today but the seat is stuck so far forward I can't get to the screws. I don't believe the motor has failed since moving the other direction works. I appreciate all the help.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

TweeTwee,

there are 2 fuses for the passenger seat and 2 fuses for the drivers seat. Look through your handbook for the fuse numbers and locations, and also through the electrical diagram in your Jaguar workshop manual. This may be where lies your problem.

Paul

TweeTwee (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 11:43 PM

I checked the fuses and they were good. Since I couldn't remove the seat I decided instead just to start moving wires I could reach under the seat around. I don't know what exactly I moved to make it work, but it works now. Since I can now move the seat I'll take it out and check the connections, obviously something is loose. Thanks again for the help