XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Power Steering Repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Power Steering Repair

Thanks to all of the posts regarding the difficult replacement of the power steering hose because of where it attaches to the steering rack. Unfortunately, I've used 3 big bottles of the Lucas stop leak without any noticeable reduction of the leak. So I decided this winter's project would be a replacement of the hose. After doing all of the stuff (removing the power steering cooler) taking the hoses off of the pump, cleaning the area up, I just can't seem to bring myself to either raise the engine or drop the steering rack to access the hose connection that, in itself is difficult and a real PITA. Plus, I might not have enough booze. So I am trying a different repair to see if it might work. I've decided to (and have) cut the hose about two inches back of the tubing that goes to the connection at the rack. I will cut the replacement hose (as soon as it's delivered) and insert about a two inch stainless pipe into both ends and using hose clamps, put it back together. BTW, I am also using muffler tape over the hoses to protect them from the manifold and engine heat. Since the Power Steering system is not under any significant amount of pressure, this should (hopefully) work. I will post the outcome when all back together and working or not !!

Ken is wild and wonderful West Virginia

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,760 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Originally Posted by kenatofc
Thanks to all of the posts regarding the difficult replacement of the power steering hose because of where it attaches to the steering rack. Unfortunately, I've used 3 big bottles of the Lucas stop leak without any noticeable reduction of the leak. So I decided this winter's project would be a replacement of the hose. After doing all of the stuff (removing the power steering cooler) taking the hoses off of the pump, cleaning the area up, I just can't seem to bring myself to either raise the engine or drop the steering rack to access the hose connection that, in itself is difficult and a real PITA. Plus, I might not have enough booze. So I am trying a different repair to see if it might work. I've decided to (and have) cut the hose about two inches back of the tubing that goes to the connection at the rack. I will cut the replacement hose (as soon as it's delivered) and insert about a two inch stainless pipe into both ends and using hose clamps, put it back together. BTW, I am also using muffler tape over the hoses to protect them from the manifold and engine heat. Since the Power Steering system is not under any significant amount of pressure, this should (hopefully) work. I will post the outcome when all back together and working or not !!

Ken is wild and wonderful West Virginia
Have a look at this:

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (06-06-2015), jomo (12-17-2014)
Old 06-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Kenatofc, how did this solution work out?

Old 06-06-2015, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,134 Likes on 5,375 Posts

Originally Posted by kenatofc
So I am trying a different repair to see if it might work. I've decided to (and have) cut the hose about two inches back of the tubing that goes to the connection at the rack. I will cut the replacement hose (as soon as it's delivered) and insert about a two inch stainless pipe into both ends and using hose clamps, put it back together.
I think it will work OK, but may I suggest you use a barbed hose joiner, rather than a straight pipe to make the repair? This sort of thing:
Brass or Steel Metal Hose Joiners Equal & Reducing Menders
Also, two clamps each side is a good plan if the leak is on the high pressure side hose.

I repaired a leaking return hose in this way where I had a failing rubber section on quite a new OEM hose, and it is fine.

Greg

Old 06-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

@$%&$...... My response went away when I was posting a picture !!!!

Anyway, I ended up dropping the steering rack to get to the hose connections. Also replaced the PS pump with a rebuilt from ebay and since I had to remove the water fill tank to get to stuff, sandblasted and repainted. Put heat sleeves over the new PS hoses to protect against manifold heat. Had to cut some length off an open end wrench to have room to get to the nuts on the hoses. Everything was less than $250.00. (not including the bourbon after each session) Probably took me almost a month of fussing around here and there. No problem in my garage, I have a lift and plenty of room. No leaks and works great.... Hopefully my cat will purr for a while without giving me a hard time.... lol.... famous last words !!!
Ken in wild and wonderful West Virginia.....