XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Project FAT CAT

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Project FAT CAT

Hey everyone I thought I'd start a build thread on the xjs rather than starting numerous new topics for single questions.

First off, I am the second owner of this jag. It is a 77 with original paint. It came from somewhere in southern states and of course never winter driven.

This project will take numerous years, as for one I just had our first child, and it will take a long time to transform it into what I'm invisioning for this.

So for the details, I just tried to get it safetied, failed of course but not with a tons of work needed.

it failed for
-old tires
-wipers
-bulb
-oil leak (pump he said)
-steering column not locking
-emergency brake not working
-power steering leak
-transmission mount (says clunks when putting into gear)

That's about it, which to me isn't bad. I was expecting some body bodybuilding holes to be filled, brakes, tie rods or something of the like. I have fixed the bulbs and wipers, the easy part. I went to move onto the steering column but I couldn't figure out how it tightens. There is a big black piece in which I thought would tighten to lock it but it won't for me. Is this the problem or is it something else to tighten the steering column?

I also checked the ebrake, jacked it up and put it in neutral. Pulled the ebrake and it feels to me like the right side held fine, and the left side I could spin. Is there a simple adjustment with these or will it require taking the brakes off to inspect?

lastly is tires. I didn't want to buy new tires for the 15" rims when I knew they wouldn't stay on. So I bought some 18x8 and 18x9 jaguar xk8 hydra wheels. I will need new tires for the back as they are bald. He had 255/45r18 on them. I test fitted the rears, they are close but fit. The left side rubbed the exhaust a tough, but I think I can "persuade it" to work. The fronts however don't fit and I will be needing spacers.

The leaks I am hoping for it to pass I can simply clean it with some degreaser, make it look pretty for it to pass then address it later on. I'm hoping I can get it on the road before snow flies as I live in Canada.

I am also having a hard time to keep it running. I have a battery charger and it will start fine. After that it will die. On my test drive when I bought it I made it a couple blocks and it quit, and wouldn't budge to restart. I'm wondering if it's a battery or alternator issue. I know a bigger amp alternator would be ideal and I will probably rebuild this one for more juice, but I'm not sure if a new battery is needed.

any help on the matters above will be appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (08-26-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 12:53 AM
Pud
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Dope car man. Good luck on the resto!

Old 08-21-2017, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Park brake - I would put the car on ramps/stands and inspect the pads on the park brake calipers

The pads are on the arms in this pic

You can just see the arms through the holes in the top of the cage

orangeblossom (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member

The steering wheel reach is adjusted by loosening the big collar in your picture tightening it locks the wheel and prevents it moving in and out.

If it does not lock there is a collet assembly inside that locks the inner column you will need dismantle it and check for wear/damage and/or missing parts.

I don't have pics of this

Old 08-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

Good luck with the build and welcome!

Old 08-25-2017, 07:45 PM

So I finally got to work on the jaguar again today. I got the steering column issue figured out, ordered some hubcentric spacers for the front and started degreasing the under side. They called out a leak so I'm hoping if I clean it up it will pass, or if it fails I should know where it is coming from now.

I will probably have a look at the emergency brakes next.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Keep us appraised of your situation. Good luck on your project. Love a red car, mines red too. Sometimes we XJS owners just need a kind word.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_cat
I just had our first child, and it will take a long time to transform it into what I'm invisioning.
Hmmm. Congratulations. Most new fathers suffer delusions. OTOH, you sound spot on!

Originally Posted by Rivguy
Sometimes we XJS owners just need a kind word.
Or our own bank . . . or shrink . . . or highway cop with seeing-eye dog. Mostly, after all the love we pour into our Jaguars, we just wannabe loved back! Good to see you landed the special "high performance" model . . . RED !!! Ours is pre-HE in metallic BRG . . . great, but not RED !!!

Seriously though, welcome to the fold. We will follow your progress with great interest and reward pics by pitching in when you need help. Huge pool of sharing going on here and some great gurus on the XJ-S/XJS. Pssst; we only let them out of the pens late at night!

Cheers,

Ken

Old 09-03-2017, 03:42 PM

Well today has been a good day so far, F1 race in the morning, my Canadian did pretty good I think considering the big names infront of him.

I had my Dad come over to work on the car and figure out what's going on. Bad news I need parts, good news they are diagnosed and moving forward.

the emergency brake situation left the right rear tire locking and working, while the left rear would still move. We took a cover off from the trunk to see the left brake pad is missing all together

Old 09-03-2017, 03:56 PM

It's a lot harder uploading on a phone than computer.

we also figured out (basically looked) that the bushing for the transmission mount is pooched. Is there a website to just replace the orange bushing, or do I have to buy the mount kit? Car is 77 xjs for those just tuning in.

once I get part numbers I'll order the emergency brake pad and transmission mount. I also received my wheel spacers from ezaccessory which are hubcentric 1 1/4" wheel spacers. Unfortunately they still won't work without machining the inside to clear the hub. I need 2 rear tires to order as well and this jag will hopefully be on the road just in time for the snow to fly here in ontario.

​​​​​​​

Old 09-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

fat_cat,

Congrats on the purchase! A 1977 XJS is a terrific rare car and it seems in astonishingy good bodywork condition! Yesterday I considered the auction purchase of an early Manual car which needed a fair bit of tidying - paint cracked and rust blistering on wheel arches, valances, sill ends, lower wings. I was prepared to pay £10,000 but it made £38,800!!

It's naturally your car to do as you see fit, but I'd love to see it all original with the marvellous Kent Alloy wheels.

Jaguar have loaded up the parts catalogue for the early models which may help you. You can find it here:

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...r-vehicle-info

Good luck

Paul

Greg in France (09-06-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Have a read through Bernards site, he did write ups for a lot of the mods he did and the transmission mount is one of them. Very good source of mod info.

Bernard Embden's Jaguar Website

Old 09-05-2017, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

I purchased a poly trans bush and rubber spring seat from Welch that was well made and has proved durable. You'll need to stop any oil leaks if you replace any rubber bushes with poly bushes. They don't get along with oil.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

In case it is useful, here is a note on how to make the handbrake really effective. It is a known weak spot on all inboard braked Jaguar rear axles. As you will find it best get the axle out of the car to fix all the other things needed, doing the handbrake mods will involve a bit of fettling and fiddling, but it is worth it, I believe. The handbrake pads available now are not strong made enough to work reliably, and just fall off their backing plates if used in anger.
Greg

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Handbrake improvement final.pdf (1.12 MB, 105 views)
1 of 19 (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 07:40 PM

Great article Greg. I don't think I will be going in depth for the emergency brake. Once it's on the road I won't be using it.

anyone know where I can get just the bushing for the transmission mount?

Old 09-07-2017, 06:16 PM

Is this what our emergency brakes look like? I see 2 different kinds. If these will then ill order them tonight. Thanks everyone

​​​​​​​

Old 09-07-2017, 06:33 PM

​​double post

Last edited by fat_cat; 09-07-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:44 PM

And this for the tranny mount? It is listed for 6.0L xjs. Does it differ from early models?

or is it this one listed? No pic available on the website but maybe someone can confirm the part number.

​​​​​​​

Old 09-08-2017, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Is this what our emergency brakes look like? I see 2 different kinds. If these will then ill order them tonight. Thanks everyone

That's what they look like, yes.

Might be too late but see if you can find a different brand than URO. The URO stuff can be a bit iffy in terms of quality. Some good, some bad.

Aside: I'd hard pressed to classify this design as an "emergency brake" as there just isn't enough there to serve that purpose in any meaningful way. However, if set up right, they'll grip fiercely as a parking brake. I'm one of those last-of-the-Mahican-old timers (I guess) who still believes in using the parking brake every time. Hold the weight of the car with the parking brake and then shift to "P".

Cheers
DD

Old 09-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

And this for the tranny mount? It is listed for 6.0L xjs. Does it differ from early models?

The CAC3227 looks correct, off hand, but your '77 might have the BW12 trans rather than the TH400. If so, I'm wondering if a different part was used? Might be worth looking into.

I'm always a bit wary of parts listings that show such a huge range of applications. Sometimes there *are* differences.

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: Project FAT CAT