XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Questions

My ride is an 89 XJS TRW convertible V12.
My questions have probably been answered previously but I can't seem to find where !! I have some sense left at 71 and a bunch of tools that I occasionally remember how to use. I have previously restore several Exotic cars in my younger years and was looking for a Jag that I found on Ebay.
So..... My current questions are:

Where do I start to find out why the driver's power window no longer will operate ??
Where might I find the metal clips for the top down cover to fit into the top... Need 5 of these creatures or must I make my own ??
Need a cap for the windshield washer fluid fill in the engine compartment.
Need a single P600 225/55 r16Pirelli tire to replace the one I blew out at high speed last week when I brought my ride home. Seems like 15" were the standards and I cannot find out why the previous owner changed to 16" rims... Are 16" better than 15"??
Heard there is a dash kit that allows for beverage holders rather than ask trays... Where ??

Before long, I should be able to help out others, but for now, need some guidance.
Thanks,
Ken in wild and wonderful West Virginia.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

The 15" tyres are hard to find so many people change to the later 16" size for a better tyre choice.
I have 16" MWS SS wires on my XJS which means that l have 5 stock 15" lattice wheels to sell. 1 spare wheel with unused tyre, 2 with ok tread and 2 not so good tread. ...(but, they are in the UK.........)
Drink holder British Autowood | Dashboard and Woodwork Restoration or some have somehow used the ones out of the XK8

for parts try Genuine Jaguar Parts and Jaguar Accessories for Classic Jaguars from Jaguar Classic Parts UK or www.google.com

Malc

The following users liked this post:
kenatofc (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by kenatofc
Where do I start to find out why the driver's power window no longer will operate ??
This will almost certainly be the switches, they come apart easily clean the pins and rocker inside with alcohol (don't use the good Chivas Regal) Isopropyl will do. The switch will be full of grease I do not like using grease as it gathers dust in the switch.

Originally Posted by kenatofc
Are 16" better than 15"??
Heard there is a dash kit that allows for beverage holders rather than ask trays....
As the rim diameter increases the tyre profile decreases to retain the same outside diameter. So going lower profile will improve steering response and cornering grip, at the expense of some ride comfort. In Australia 16’s are easier to get than 15’s in our size.

There is a kit that replaces the Ski Slope and has cup holder instead of ashtrays. I am not sure how effective they would be as I think the holders would be too small and shallow. I have seen them on eBay,

kenatofc (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another note on the window switches: If the passenger side one works, it's pretty easy to just temporarily swap the plugs to see if it will open the driver's side. If it does, then you could open up the switch and clean it and see if that works, or you could be lazy (like I was) and grab one off of Amazon for like 8 bucks. I did that and went ahead and put two new switches in since they were so cheap, and worked just fine.

This is the one that fits my 86 XJS; not sure if it will fit the 89.
URO Parts 35258 Window/Sunroof Switch : Amazon.com : Automotive URO Parts 35258 Window/Sunroof Switch : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 09-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Went through all of the regular diagnostics, even bench tested the motor while in the car.... nothing.... finally removed the motor and lift assembly and bench tested... works great. re-installed and now see that the window must be sticking in the window rails.... Will get back to that this winter while in the garage during hibernation.
Still not locating the metal clips that keep the cover that goes over the convertible top (when down) from blowing around. Currently using some plastic ties to do the job.....
As for the tires, the 16s are pretty much worn so I opted for a set of Michelin's and a 5th chrome rim in 16" for the spare. Will sell my single 15" rim and tire on ebay.
Found a dash kit in wood but very expensive.... I know, this hobby is expensive..... But I might opt to fix something up myself using the current ski slope. Anyone found reasonable ski slopes with cup holders ??
While I have the slope pulled, might try to figure why the Alpine radio is not directly connected to the battery as it looses power and memory when switch is off. Perhaps wired incorrectly at the ignition switch ??
Noticed some thick yellow heavy liquid on the floor and sort of center engine. I don't think it would be trans in yellow ?? Could be synthetic oil but would seem that oil would burn coming from the engine ?? Not a big spot but will have to investigate before it becomes one.....
Thanks for all the help so far !!
Ken in wild and wonderful West Virginia.....

Old 09-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Could be Trans/Power Steering fluid. The one I use is yellow, Check the low pressure PS hose and cooler. These become hard and leak.

There is a removable channel in the rear of the door that the window runs in (convertible has 2, 1 infront and behind). These get bent and cause the window to be very tight in the channel. Also check the bailey channel for condition this could cause jamming as well.

kenatofc (10-01-2013)