XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Radio wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio wiring harness

Hello folks,
This is my first post in this forum where I enjoyed to read.
But now I do have a real problem with my radio. I bought a OEM radio to replace a bad aftermarket one in my new 1988 XJ-SC, so far so good, but the "new" radio arrived with cut connector and I can't find the right wire colors to make a new connector.
For some help or hint, I would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-24-2019, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

The wires you show look like they come from the old radio. The car harness, at least for a 1985 is as follows (yours may be the same or may be different!). If you find the car harness (ie the wires/plug that the old radio's wires actually plugged into or joined up to) then this should help you connect up properly:
Radio wiring:Red/white (thinner of the two) = ignition switch live in
Red/white (thicker of the two) = feed to aerial relay
Purple = permanent live for radio memory (comes from the cigar lighter power circuit)
Grey/red = illumination with sidelights

Speakers
Looking at the car loom as it pulls out from the dash, speaker wires starting at RHS of the domino plug as you look at the domino plug in the radio hole:
RHS to LHS of plug:
Rear RHS speaker
Front RHS speaker
Front LHS speakerRear LHS speaker (these have little brown collars on the wires to distinguish them from the rear RHS wires)
The stripe on the car loom speaker wires goes to the positive terminal of the speakers (bigger terminal). NOTE that on the DIN plug short loom the striped is for the negative speaker terminal. SO at the domino plug the DIN loom striped speaker wires connect to the loom plain wires.

Your new radio may have a DIN connector, if so you need to buy a connector to fit into it, and wire it up to the car loom. Something like this:

This is the DIN pinouts so you know what to connect to what (using the Jaguar radio colours shown above):

Last edited by Greg in France; 02-24-2019 at 02:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Dopplebocker (08-08-2020), orangeblossom (02-24-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 01:37 PM

Thanks a lot for the answer and I apologise for my late response, since I'm currently only weekends home.
I double checked the wire colors, but Ican't find the mentioned color coding on the Jaguar radio. I do have the standard colors on the aftermarket, but what are those on the Jaguar ones?
I would like the test it beforehand and I'm somewhat scared to connect the wrong cables to power and blow the radio.
Thanks for anyone help.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

The colour coding will be on the loom that the old radio plugged into/was joined to, not on the wires coming out of the old radio. If your car has different loom colours - which I mentioned above is quite possible - then post what the colours are and someone else may be able to help.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:19 AM

Hello folks, thanks for all the help given and I would like to give also somthig back to the community.
After many hours of searching e-plans, posts and vehicle, since I was in the bad situation that some pre-owner cut every connection and put many splices in. Additionally, I got a radio from the junk yard also just cut-out, so for everyone who's looking for the right connection, I found the following coding on my 1987 XJS radio AJ8700

On the radio harness
B - Black --> Ground (31)
U - blUe --> Illumination
Y - Yellow --> Battery plus (30)
R - Red --> Ignition (15)
W - White --> Antenna
The rest eight wires are the four loudspeakers pairs where the solid color should be the positive pole and the same color coded white wire is the negative for the pair.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:38 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

I installing a 1 din KIA Altima radio in my xjs, but could find no schematic for the radio. As a result there was no way to trace the wires coming out of the rear radio plug connection I found later that the plug that was in the Kia radio was from a different car with a plug that's color code was different than the Kia! I went to a radio store that specialized in auto radios and was able to find the function of each pin on the Kia There are three power sources on the 1993 Jag Coupe radio harness blue and white that goes to the 10 amp fuse #7 and a heavy purple wire that carries 12vts and a red and white wire that goes to the battery. I tied those together and used them as a power source to the radio. One of those wires is the code wire and is hot all the time, but the only time i get power to the radio is when the ignition is on!!! Typing this, I think the 5 amp code line fuse is blown. On the Jag and the Kia plugs there is one wire for lights that baffles me.
If your going to substitute a non jag radio I think you will have to cut into the harness to match the pins on the newmodel jags and the face lift models.
I find the easiest way to make the harness is to draw the plugs out on a piece of paper and draw the connections with the proper colors and function's. i find it is a lot easier to erase than re solder!

Old 06-27-2020, 11:00 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

I gave up on the Kia radio. It became too much of a hassle. When I plug the CD player into it the input cable became warm and a couple of connector wire also got warm. I am going to go back to the Jag radio and rehook it. I have the proper radio plug and the color coded wire are visible. The wires to connect to are a few inches into the dash and their coding is also visible. To insure proper speaker location I will use a 9vt battery and leads to touch to the + and - speaker wires. This test also confirms the speaker polarity. (if you can see the cone) I also solder all wire splices and use heat shrink tubing to cover splices. I have found that black plastic insulation tape unravels after a period of time in a car.