XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Rear cage drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Rear cage drop

Evening all, in the not too distant future i am going to drop the rear cage down on my 4.0 inboard disc. 1991.i need to adjust the handbrake calipers and was hoping i could lower it low enough to gain acess through the cut outs in the top of the cage without taking it completely from the car.if it is possible to do this, does anyone have a list of things to disconect and in which order. Thanks in advance for any help

Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by brinny
Evening all, in the not too distant future i am going to drop the rear cage down on my 4.0 inboard disc. 1991.i need to adjust the handbrake calipers and was hoping i could lower it low enough to gain acess through the cut outs in the top of the cage without taking it completely from the car.if it is possible to do this, does anyone have a list of things to disconect and in which order. Thanks in advance for any help
They should be self adjusting. Are you sure pads are still in place and serviceable?
I can understand dropping the cage for a full service of all the parts of the rear end but for a simple handbrake service I would be inclined to do it in place.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

I'm assuming the handbrakes don't work?

As mentioned they're self adjusting.....IF the mechanism hasn't seized up from gunk and lack of use. In my experience the only fix is to remove the handbrake calipers for a full strip down, cleaning, and lubricating. Common issue.

It takes some patience but they can be removed with the cage in place. After removing the bolts (which are like long pins, really, with a threaded section) and the cable, the calipers are rolled aft and dropped out thru the bottom of the cage. The tie plate must be removed.

Reinstallation is reverse of the above....but getting the pins in the holes and the spreader fingers in place might drive a man to drink. But, it's certainly doable.

If they pads are missing or broken there's a good archived article about modifying them to make future failure less likely.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the help. I should have explained i have had the cage out in the past and had everything refurbed or replaced. I made the mistake of not adjusting the calipers up close enough to the discs and now everything works but the handbrake is weak. As its a manual car i need to be effective.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Brinny, if you want to do a really good job, this may help. The handbrake is at best, not up to much OEM, mainly because the attachment of the handbrake pad to its backing plate is pathetic. Leaving the car in gear is a wise precaution... a bit like Park in an automatic (but I expect you knew that!). It is a bit of effort, but the difference is truly amazing.
Greg

Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by Greg in France; 02-01-2017 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Thanks for the help. I should have explained i have had the cage out in the past and had everything refurbed or replaced. I made the mistake of not adjusting the calipers up close enough to the discs and now everything works but the handbrake is weak. As its a manual car i need to be effective.
In that case exercising the handbrake caliper arms through their entire arc of movement should close up the excess clearance. It may help if you disengage the cable and the return springs from those arms to do it.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

By exercising them , if I release the cable and springs do I then just squeeze them together by hand? And can this be done with the cage in place?

Thanks to all for their help by the way

Old 02-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

By exercising them , if I release the cable and springs do I then just squeeze them together by hand? And can this be done with the cage in place?

Thanks to all for their help by the way

Yes.

It'll be like operating a ratchet, sort of.

But.......

I would leave the cable connected. It's been a few years....others with a better memory will chime in.... but as I recall if you adjust the calipers with the cable removed you'll have hell to pay getting it reattached. I think I made that mistake once !

In few days I'll be at this crossroads myself so a memory refresher (before making another mistake) would be welcomed

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 02-01-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

So will i be able to get my hand in and just ratchet them up? Sorry for sounding thick but if you dont know you dont know! I thought i might have to take the split pin out.? Hope not

Old 02-01-2017, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

So will i be able to get my hand in and just ratchet them up?

That's it ! You'll be able so sense when the adjustment is taken up; don't be tempted to go any further

Sorry for sounding thick but if you dont know you dont know! I thought i might have to take the split pin out.? Hope not

Nope, no need to remove the split pin.

But, let's wait till other chime in. As I said, it's been many years since I last did any of this.....I don't want my old memory cells to lead you down the garden path

Cheers
DD

Old 02-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Well i hope your right doug.that would save a lot of needless work. Love this forum the help is incredible. Been away from the cars on holiday for a couple of weeks and when i walked in the unit thought immediately yes its all worth it. Ive sold my 3.6 to a very lucky irishman in dublin but still with me for another couple of months.if i had the room id have 20 xjs a couple of xk8 6 xkrs and then some of the newer stuff lol

Old 02-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Just to confirm, if I leave the cable on do I remove the return springs and can I ratchet each individually? Also is the longest part of the Caliper I move and how will I know to stop? Cheers