XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Rear wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wheel alignment

I hate to eat up everyone's time with my silly questions, but you guys are so saavy and smart about my impossibly Britishly engineered car I can't help myself!

I have major toe-out on my rear wheels. Since it doesn't seem possible to adjust rear wheel toe in/out, am I correct in assuming something is probably bent? FYI, the car was hit in the right rear quarter panel, if that can matter (repair by previous owner).
Thanks!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 AM

Front and rear can be aligned on the XJS. The rear suspension is adjustable for camber.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by matjohns
I hate to eat up everyone's time with my silly questions, but you guys are so saavy and smart about my impossibly Britishly engineered car I can't help myself!

I have major toe-out on my rear wheels. Since it doesn't seem possible to adjust rear wheel toe in/out, am I correct in assuming something is probably bent? FYI, the car was hit in the right rear quarter panel, if that can matter (repair by previous owner).
Thanks!

Yes, no toe adjustment on rear wheels, Yes, probably something bent. Or perhaps some badly worn or loose control arm and/or fulcrum bearings allowing the wheels to splay out?

Cheers
DD

PS- there is nothing "impossibly engineered" on a Jaguar. Anything that has the appearance of being poorly or impossibly engineered is actually an "interesting design feature" that you simply haven't yet learned to appreciate.

Owning an old Jag requires a philosophic frame of mind :-)

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Michael Hop (07-23-2019), rgp (09-30-2017)
Old 02-11-2011, 04:13 PM

Doug, once again you are the man. I'll check my bearings and bushings. They're all pretty worn.

My apologies. I amend; my fascinatingly engineered Jag

Originally Posted by Doug
Yes, no toe adjustment on rear wheels, Yes, probably something bent. Or perhaps some badly worn or loose control arm and/or fulcrum bearings allowing the wheels to splay out?

Cheers
DD

PS- there is nothing "impossibly engineered" on a Jaguar. Anything that has the appearance of being poorly or impossibly engineered is actually an "interesting design feature" that you simply haven't yet learned to appreciate.

Owning an old Jag requires a philosophic frame of mind :-)

Old 02-11-2011, 04:26 PM

I actually had my rear wheel bearings replaced. I removed the hub assemblies myself, and I'm close to certain that I put the correct hubs back on the correct side. But if I somehow reversed them, put driv on pass side and vise versa, could that cause them to be splayed, or are they not specific to a side?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

The hubs are the same, left vs. right.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 PM

Thanks Doug ~

Old 07-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wheels going bald on inside.

Originally Posted by matjohns

Thanks!
i had the arnott coil spring conversion kit fitted front and rear but suffering from really bad tyre wear on inside of rears. can it be adjusted or is something worn?

Old 07-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,082 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Originally Posted by chay
i had the arnott coil spring conversion kit fitted front and rear but suffering from really bad tyre wear on inside of rears. can it be adjusted or is something worn?
Bad inside tyre wear on the rears is either:
- far too much negative camber, or
- massively unaligned rears that are toe-ing OUT [correction] miles out of spec.

Camber can be adjusted; toe OUT miles out of spec = something bent or very badly worn or dangerously loose. Non OEM springs never a good idea IMO, but unless the ride height they give is miles out of spec should not in themselves give tyre wear; unless this "conversion kit" is something more than just replacement springs.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 07-14-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

When you did the hubs did you check end float, this is set with a spacer in the back of the inside bearing, if this is not correct there will be excessive play in the bearing. If you are checking on the ground with a string line then wheels will tend to toe out as the car is moved forward.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Bad inside tyre wear on the rears is either:
- far too much negative camber, or
- massively unaligned rears that are toe-ing OUT [correction] miles out of spec.

Camber can be adjusted; toe OUT miles out of spec = something bent or very badly worn or dangerously loose. Non OEM springs never a good idea IMO, but unless the ride height they give is miles out of spec should not in themselves give tyre wear; unless this "conversion kit" is something more than just replacement springs.
Greg
mine is the xj6 2006 model. I had the trouble some air suspension removed and arnott coil spring conversion kit fitted. thanks man it probably is the camber too negative as you cant adjust the rear wheel alignment on most jags. thanks pal

Old 07-14-2017, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,082 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Originally Posted by chay
mine is the xj6 2006 model. I had the trouble some air suspension removed and arnott coil spring conversion kit fitted. thanks man it probably is the camber too negative as you cant adjust the rear wheel alignment on most jags. thanks pal
You are in the wrong forum. I thought your car was an XJS. best to repost in the correct one!
Greg

Old 09-29-2017, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
You are in the wrong forum. I thought your car was an XJS. best to repost in the correct one!
Greg
i also noticed this was quite an old thread so maybe time to wrap it up! however I'm thinking it could be tracking rod that's my problem but not sure yet my pal is going to jack it up and have a good look next week