XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Removing Fuel Injector clips and Rail

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Removing Fuel Injector clips and Rail

On my 96 xjs, 4.0 I am having the hardest time pulling the clip pin holding the fuel injectors to the rail. Is there a method to this, special tools, or even removing the valve cover ? ? ? No to mention that the one I did pull off when flying and it now needs to be replaced. I am all ears. and Thanks in advance.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,760 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Hi HapPann

Your in luck! I've just done this job myself on my 95 4.0L XJS

First do the Job outside in the Open with the Battery disconnected (just to be on the safe side) because before you start you need to relieve the Fuel Pressure in the Fuel Rail

Ideally you could have removed the Fuse for the Fuel Pump, then Started her up and then let her run out of gas, although in your case you seem to have passed the point of no return

So you now need to disconnect the Fuel Inlet Pipe that goes into the Fuel Rail (The Rubber one) and then disconnect the FPR Fuel Pressure Regulator from the Fuel Rail at the other end

Petrol should come shooting out under Pressure, so wrap some rag around it to contain it and then chuck that into a bucket

When you disconnect these Pipes always counter Torque them with 2 Spanners, so you don't break anything off

Next get a Number 8 Socket, on a 1/4in ratchet, which will be the only tool you'll need apart from a Magnetic Pick-up Tool which will make removing the Bolts about 10 times easier

Then (and you'll have to lean right over the engine to see this) you will see where the Injectors go into the Rail, they are held in place with little Spring Clips, which you have to unclip and put somewhere safe, where you won't lose them

After that look at the Electric Plugs that Clip on the Injectors to supply power to the Injectors, these plugs need to come off and so in order to do that, you squeeze these Clips with your Finger Tips, while at the same time lifting each plug off in turn

Easypeasy Lemonsqueezy, So far!

Then take your Number 8 Socket in the 1/4 ratchet and then undo the 4 Bolts that Clamp the Rail to the Engine

This is where the Magnetic Pick-up Tool comes in, to lift the Bolts out, or you are almost Certain to drop them on the ground and have a real job to find them after that

Next Using the Same Number 8 Socket and ratchet, undo the 3 Bolts that Clamp the Electric Plug Rail to the Engine, again with the Aid of the Magnetic Pick-up Tool

That's it Job done!

Now all you have to do is Carefully Pull the Fuel Rail off the Injectors, where some of them may come out with the Rail and others may part company with the Fuel Rail and stay in the Engine

Not a problem either way, as on their own they are easy to pull out, then just 'Rinse and Repeat' when you put it all back but don't go crazy and over tighten anything, or you may strip the Thread in the Engine and you don't want to do that!

Also don't throw the Rubber Seals away, off your Old Injectors as you may find you have to reuse them, if the New Ones do not seal them properly and they start leaking

So when you Start her up again, leave the Bonnet/Hood open and have a Powder Fire Extinguisher standing by, just in case they do leak and then start spraying Gas all over the Engine

Ask me how I know, or rather don't!

Here is how I replaced the Injectors on my 1995 XJS 4.0L with AJ16 Engine, with other Stuff on how to get her started if She won't go

How I replaced the Injectors on my 1995 4.0L XJS plus almost every trick in the Book to get her Started when She wouldn't Go plus How to Replace the In-Tank Fuel Pump Testing the Spark Plugs and doing a Compression Test as well as lots of other Stuff that someone may find useful

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (11-07-2018), HapPann (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 09:07 PM

Thanks so much, your response was exactly what the "doctor ordered". Your response also showed me where the "Thanks" icon is located, so Thanks again for everything.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member

Hi HapPann

Glad your getting her sorted, these little jobs can sometimes turn into a Nightmare!

Old 11-07-2018, 02:24 PM

Thanks for checking back, I am still in need of more prospective! I have the clips off, the fuel line disconnected, screws are out of the rail. I lift the rail approx 1 1/2 inches (wire harness has me limited). The injectors are still in the engine. Question was I suppose to remove the rail with the clips attached to the injectors ? ?

The following users liked this post:
Softball60 (01-09-2022)
Old 11-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hi HapPann

Don't pull out the Injectors with the Loom Plugs or the Loom Rail still attached to the Injectors

Each of those Loom Plugs has a silver spring clip on the back of the Plug, just squeeze those spring clips from behind with your finger tips and then you can unplug those Loom Plugs one at a time

You can see the Loom Plugs in this Photo and the Spring Clip on the Loom Plugs is the Same as the Spring Clip on the Plug on the Left in the Photo

Once the Loom Plugs have been disconnected and the Loom Rail unbolted, then you can carefully push the Loom Rail back to give you a little bit more room to work

Is that what you meant?

Last edited by orangeblossom; 11-07-2018 at 05:01 PM.