XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Road Trip 2014: Sacramento, CA to Chicago, IL in a 1987 XJ-SC

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Road Trip 2014: Sacramento, CA to Chicago, IL in a 1987 XJ-SC

So as some of you know from previous threads, I purchased a 1987 XJ-SC from the original owner a little while back. I will finally be going to pick it up during the last week of May in Sacramento and will be driving it home to Chicago, assuming it's road worthy. Long post, bare with me...

----------------------------------------

The Car: She's black-on-magnolia leather, and has just over 60,000 miles on the clock. She's been regularly driven and serviced her entire life, first at the dealer and then by British Car Service in Sacramento for the last few years or so after the Jag dealer closed down. Recent work includes, most notably, a new master cylinder and brake job, new tires, new hoses (will look into this more closely when I arrive) and the cooling system has been flushed.

I plan on having her inspected by British Car Service in advance of my departure, and having any work required to make her road worthy completed. I will also have a "clear bra" applied to help guard against rock chips and such.

My hope is , since the car has never sat for extended periods of time and has been religiously serviced, that she will be in fair enough condition that no major work is required before setting out.

The Trip: I plan to traverse the western half of this great nation in 4 days, with 3 legs. I'll be going at this solo. See below for the route.

Day 1, May 19th: One-way flight from Chicago to Sacramento, through Phoenix. Have the car inspected and any work completed prior to departure. Hopefully, nothing major will be needed and no parts will need to be ordered (since it just underwent a major service last month). Will stay the night in Sacramento.

Day 2 May 20th: 649mi. 10 hours. Depart Sacramento, CA destined for Salt Lake City, UT, with a midday break in Elko, NV. I imagine this will be the most trying leg for the car, and hope temperatures remain modest through the desert. Here's hoping the A/C works

Day 3 May 21st: 673mi. 11 hours. Depart Salt Lake City, UT destined for Rapid City, SD, with a midday break in Casper, WY. The mountains could make this leg interesting, as well.

Day 4 May 22nd: 855mi. 14 hours. Depart Rapid City, SD destined for Bull Valley, IL (my house) with 2 breaks: Sioux Falls, SD and LaCrosse, WI.

Total: 2,177mi and 32 hours of drive time, with a 1 hour break each day.

Packing List: Any advice here would be appreciated. One minor annoyance: the car is fitted with Dayton Wires right now, but has an alloy spare. Thus in the event of a flat, I'll need to have a knock off hammer as well as a lug wrench...

Fire extinguisher
4 gallons of water (for myself and the car)
5 gallons of fuel
Jack/tire changing equipment
New spare (current one is from 1987..)
First aid
Fuel for the driver...
Road maps
Portable CB
Hagerty roadside assistance (125mi flatbed towing)
Basic tools (suggestions, please).
Spare parts? (more suggestions, please)
flash light
flares
blanket
clothes/toiletries for the driver...
laptop/phone(GPS)/chargers
battery charger
Suggestions, please!

One more note: the issue on shipping vs. driving has already been debated:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...advice-117089/

Any comments/advice/suggestions related to any part of the trip would be greatly appreciated. Also, any members located along my route that would be willing to help in the event of a breakdown, feel free to PM me. Or, any of those not on my route that are willing to provide technical assistance, feel free to chime in too!

I'll be updating this thread along the way with my location, pictures, any issues, etc. so stay tuned!

Attached Thumbnails Road Trip 2014: Sacramento, CA to Chicago, IL in a 1987 XJ-SC-3_4-2.jpeg   Road Trip 2014: Sacramento, CA to Chicago, IL in a 1987 XJ-SC-interior-2.jpeg   Road Trip 2014: Sacramento, CA to Chicago, IL in a 1987 XJ-SC-road-trip-route.png  

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 05-11-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Basic tools (suggestions, please).
Spare parts? (more suggestions, please)

Tools: Socket set, open ended spanners, pliers, screwdrivers, jump leads.

Spares: Wire, connectors and crimp tool, hoses, gaffer tape for emergency hose repairs, ECU water temp sensor, insulation tape, current tester, Ignition amplifier, V belt set, length of fuel hose.

That's what I always have in my car, good job the boot is large. If you have them you will not need them!

Enjoy the trip, I envy you,
Greg

The following users liked this post:
01Silverstone (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

Your plan sounds good and just make sure you install all new belts before departure... ATF change? Synthetic motor oil change? Maybe take some antifreeze. Otherwise, it sounds like you have it under control. You plan on doing this by yourself?

These cars are made for long road trips, so a long drive like this will be good for it... Congrats on your purchase.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Tools:
Telescoping magnetic pickup tool
Box cutter/knife
Multimeter
Car power inverter (make sure your lighter works!)
Tire pressure gauge
Mechanics gloves

If your AC isn't working or quits on you, an emergency cabin cooler can be assembled for under $20 from stock items found in Target/Home Depot etc. Just let me know if you think you will have the need.

Last edited by inertian; 05-12-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Received 6,249 Likes on 5,449 Posts

Originally Posted by inertian

If your AC isn't working or quits on you, an emergency cabin cooler can be assembled for under $20 from stock items found in Target/Home Depot etc. Just let me know if you think you will have the need.
You can't leave us hanging like that!

Old 05-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I live between Sac and Reno. If you think you may need help between these points, pm me for my phone #.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Just a thought.
If we drive 12's, 6's or"lumps", we are all here because we love these cars. We are a family. "Ya, we bicker just like one!".
I have read the entire board and have read about many planned long trips and how to prepare.
My thought is, if a member is wanting to make a long trip, and posts it soon enough "as Silverstone has", other members along the way can contact them and give them an idea of where they can get help along the way.
As Silverstone said, he"Im asumming". Is going solo. All the tools and supplys recomended are suggested, but instead of having to worry about "getting back to Chicago", if members chime in, he just needs to get from point A to point B and know he has backup from people who KNOW and love these cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by 1800doogie:
01Silverstone (05-12-2014), Norri (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,943 Likes on 5,291 Posts

It's a Very pretty car, Matthew, I hope it serves you well for many years.

Unless you're flying Really low, you'll be hard pressed to make it from Sac to SLC in less than 14 hours. Been there, done that -- more than once. Those pesky little breaks take more time than you might realize.

When I traveled that road there was basically no speed limit through Nevada but that may have changed since my last trip when I averaged about 80. You'll know for certain before very long though. You'll be traveling mid week so traffic shouldn't be horrific, although I've never seen it exactly light. But then, I never traveled so early in May either.

You'll have the hardest time in mid afternoon. Everyone gets tired by then and maybe more than a little bored. If you're unaccustomed to very long drives, it helps to find little games to keep your attention focused. The Interstate system is by its very nature incredibly boring, especially I-80, but at least you won't be driving into the setting sun. The rising sun is much easier to deal with and I don't know why.

I've never been East of Rapid City so I can't help you there. You're on the home stretch by then anyway, and by far the longest leg, but that's when people usually get into the most trouble. Because they're so close to home they let their guard down, their attention lapses, they miss a que from traffic and something awful happens. The closer you get to home the more tired you'll be too and that will work against you.

Do take care, Matthew, if you arrive a day late, it's better than arriving in a box.
(';')

Old 05-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
It's a Very pretty car, Matthew, I hope it serves you well for many years.

Unless you're flying Really low, you'll be hard pressed to make it from Sac to SLC in less than 14 hours. Been there, done that -- more than once. Those pesky little breaks take more time than you might realize.

When I traveled that road there was basically no speed limit through Nevada but that may have changed since my last trip when I averaged about 80. You'll know for certain before very long though. You'll be traveling mid week so traffic shouldn't be horrific, although I've never seen it exactly light. But then, I never traveled so early in May either.

You'll have the hardest time in mid afternoon. Everyone gets tired by then and maybe more than a little bored. If you're unaccustomed to very long drives, it helps to find little games to keep your attention focused. The Interstate system is by its very nature incredibly boring, especially I-80, but at least you won't be driving into the setting sun. The rising sun is much easier to deal with and I don't know why.

I've never been East of Rapid City so I can't help you there. You're on the home stretch by then anyway, and by far the longest leg, but that's when people usually get into the most trouble. Because they're so close to home they let their guard down, their attention lapses, they miss a que from traffic and something awful happens. The closer you get to home the more tired you'll be too and that will work against you.

Do take care, Matthew, if you arrive a day late, it's better than arriving in a box.
(';')
Thanks for your concern. I planned to have the whole week available, the 19th-25th, in the event of longer-than-anticipated travel times or other unforeseen issues. So, if need be, I can break up a leg into 2 days. I'll just take it as it comes!

LnrB (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 03:52 PM

Did the NY-Chicago run many times, always found that taking a break every three to four hours kept me alert and motivated. Even just stopping to stretch your legs, get a drink, buy a postcard, etc., gives your brain some relief from watching the white lines go by...

Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

What a beautiful car - interior looks practically new! Don't forget a credit card with a few $k free. And chewing gum - helps one stay alert.

That is one helluva trip. Keep us posted, and good luck!

Old 05-12-2014, 11:49 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Hi Matthew,
Very impressed with the condition of your new to you 1987 XJS. I do not remember seeing that color combination on a 1987 before and I really like the interior colors. You will be still checking out the interior as you pull into Winnemucca so the first 6 hours or so will go by very quickly. It is 75 mph now once you get east of Reno so you will be able to enjoy that V12 the way it was meant to be enjoyed. I live up in the Boise, Idaho area so if you have any issues around the Winnemucca area you can always contact me if no one lives closer and I would be happy to help. Only thing is I am about 5 hours from Winnemucca but in the event you had to be towed to a safe place I would be happy to assist. PM me if you would like and I can get you my contact info just in case. I would leave out of Sacramento as early in the morning as you can when you depart because the most climbing you will be doing I believe for the whole trip will be heading out of Sacramento over to Reno. Once you get over Donner summit it will be down hill from there. I think they still have part of Harrah's car museum set up for viewing in Reno so if you can make that stop would be worth your while. I do know they have a very good car museum in Reno so worth a google check to see if either Harrah's or the other one that I cannot think of the name of would be worth your time to check out. It has been years since I went through it but seemed like it was well worth the stop. Hopefully others will chime in on this if they have had a more recent experience. From Sacramento to Reno on I-84 is about 2.5 to 3 hours and from Reno it is about 2.5 hours to Winnemucca and then I am not sure how far to Salt Lake from Winnemucca as I always go north from Winnemucca to Boise. You might also consider going highway 50 from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe as that is a worth while place to see if you have not been there before. Oh and something worth seeing in Sacramento if you have time before you leave is the train museum in old Sac. if you are into that sort of stuff-one of the nicer train museums in the country.

Any way wish you well and hope you are able to take an extra day to check out Lake Tahoe and car museum in Reno if you can. One suggestion I would highly recommend to carry with you on your drive is a product like JB weld 2 part compound for sealing fluid leaks like coolant. Last year I was coming back from Portland, Or. and the older car I was in developed a crack in one of the coolant fittings. Was able to mend the crack with the JB weld compound used for fluid leaks and not only made it home with no problem but lasted until had the time to fix the leak with a new fitting. Had never thought about carrying this on a long road trip before but out on the side of the road with not access to parts, this experience made me a see how valuable this stuff can be. I am sure the belts have been kept up on the car you are getting so if they check out as I am sure they will I would just carry an extra set just in case. I would not switch them out right before you leave unless warranted because sometimes you can create a issue by replacing a belt like over tightening and taking out a bearing or mis aligning a pulley etc. Just my 2 cents on that type of stuff so be careful not to cause a problem by doing something that was not needed right before you leave but may not show up until after several hours of driving.

01Silverstone (05-13-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

Well, folks, I have some news. Good or bad depends on which side of the camp you're in.

Due to complications at work, I was no longer able to take the week off. I had 1 day to get this done. So she will be shipped via enclosed trailer with Intercity Lines.

Much more rushed than I was hoping for

So, I caught a 5AM to Sacramento that connected through Phoenix, getting me on the ground in CA at 9:15AM local time. My departure flight was at 4:15 PM the same day, getting me back to Chicago just after midnight central time.

Fortunately, when I arrived, the car was pretty much everything I was hoping for.

The Bad:

1. HVAC inoperable. Believe this is a bad fuse/relay as the whole system was working a week ago and now there was nothing (no fans, no heat, no a/c).
2. Wipers inoperable. Hopefully not the motor, but we'll see. Again they were working a week ago so most likely not the case.
3. Rear caliper leaking. This will be warranty work for the shop since they were recently replaced.
4. Horn inoperable. Again, warranty work for the shop.
5. Oil leaking from cam cover gaskets. Shop said it would be $1200 due to labor. Going to hold off on this and reevaluate when it arrives.
6. Minor electrical gremlins. Some interior/puddle lights and fogs not working. Power side mirror inop, etc.
7. Fuel gauge inop.
8. Hood insulator missing.

The Good:

1. Cosmetically, she's fantastic. Paint is great, no fading on the top, chrome Daytons were excellent. No cracks/rips in the leather. Headliner not sagging, veneer not cracked, etc. Includes hard and soft tops, bags for targa tops, original floor mats, etc. All to be expected of a 1-owner CA car kept in a garage it's whole life.
2. Completely new front and rear brakes, including lines and calipers.
3. New tires
4. Compression check performed, no issues.
5. Runs cool, just below the center of the gauge.
6. All new rubber and fuel lines
7. Cooling system gone through/flushed and working properly.
8. New shocks/bearings. Suspension all gone through.

I plan to start a punch list when she arrives (hopefully next week) so I'm sure you'll be seeing more of me here...

I have one pic from when I picked her up at the shop. Was in an industrial area, so that's why I didn't bother with more. Will take some when she arrives.

Second pic is the plates I picked out today. "EA" is "Expanded Antique," which in IL is for any car over 25yrs. The "expanded" part means the car can be daily driven April-Oct, whereas regular Antique plate cars can only be driven to/from shows.

Lastly, a plug for British Car Service of Sacramento. Stand up guys, very knowledgeable. Had about 4 XJSs, 3 E-Types, some XKs, a Bentley from the 50s, MGs, etc. Cool place.

Attached Thumbnails Road Trip 2014: Sacramento, CA to Chicago, IL in a 1987 XJ-SC-xjsc-picked-up.jpg   Road Trip 2014: Sacramento, CA to Chicago, IL in a 1987 XJ-SC-plates-xjsc.png  

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 05-23-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Flint Ironstag (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Too bad you didn't get to make the road trip, but at least you still got the car. Keep us posted!

Old 05-23-2014, 08:16 AM

The "Bad" looks to be minor/warranty covered stuff, and the "Good" seems very good, so I think you made out quite well. Too bad you couldn't do the drive, but without AC it would have been quite unpleasant. Enjoy her, she's a beauty!

Old 05-23-2014, 09:04 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

No A/C would have certainly be a dealbreaker for me.

No windshield wipers, that would have been a bigger problem than anticipated.

Without those two items, you weren't going to make it.

Looks like your job saved you without even knowing it!

Old 05-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

I agree, no A/C and wipers would have made for an... Interesting trip to say the least.

Quick update.. It is the motor for the wipers. I've noticed quite a few threads on here so I'll either try to repair or replace it when it arrives.

Shop got the fans working for the air con (just cleaned up some connectors) but no cold air. So will also have to investigate further at home.

Leaking caliper and horn are good to go.

It's too bad I couldn't do the drive, but it just means I'll have to plan another trip later on! (With working A/C and wipers...)

Old 05-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@Matthew

Thats a beautiful car. I also have an all CA XJS and the body is perfect (Everything else wasn't when I bought it, but thats another story)

My wife and I actually just drove from Dallas back to San Jose in my latest insanity purchase (see signature..... hint, it's not a Jaguar). We did 1700 miles in 2 days. The car arrived back here filthy, covered in dead bugs, had a dead bird or something in the front air scoop, but I think it was the most fun I'd had in years. Next day the car got $200 valet and it looked just like it did when we bought it.

Just one word of caution on "covered" transport. I paid around $1700 to get an '06 XJ shipped from Maryland to San Jose a few years ago. Open wagon was around $1000, so you really were paying a premium for "covered" transport. The blurb on the shippers website had the usual stuff, ie we will take great care of your treasured car..... it will arrive dust free, etc, etc.

Well, when the car actually arrived (4 days late) the wagon it was on was a curtain sided wagon. It was a double decker and my car was on the bottom, so as the truck was going along, all kinds of dirt and muck got thrown up into the trailer through the gaps between the curtain sides and the trailer itself. The car was an absolute mess when I got it. If possible, I would ask the shipping company exactly what kind of wagon they are going to ship the car in....... it would also be good to know if it's a single deck or a double deck. As well as being filthy, my car had fuel and oil on it which had dripped off the old ford model A something that was occupying the top deck above it. I was really, really excited to get my car and was imagining it rolling off the truck looking super shiny (The dealer I bought it from had it valeted before they handed it over and it was spotless)...... you can imagine the sinking feeling when it rolled off filthy :-(

Old 05-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sarc
@Matthew

My wife and I actually just drove from Dallas back to San Jose in my latest insanity purchase (see signature..... hint, it's not a Jaguar).

Just one word of caution on "covered" transport.
I know this is a Jag forum, but Aston is close enough.. are there pics anywhere on here!? Must have been an amazing trip.

And thanks for the cautionary tale. Intercity does use double deck trailers, but they're all hard sided. They also have drip pans under all cars above to prevent anything from landing on the cars below.

Jay Leno, F40 Motorsports, and several other big names use them, so all should be good.. I hope!

Attached Thumbnails Road Trip 2014: Sacramento, CA to Chicago, IL in a 1987 XJ-SC-car-hauler-intercity.jpeg  
Old 05-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,943 Likes on 5,291 Posts

I wish you success, Matthew.
(';')

Quick Reply: Road Trip 2014: Sacramento, CA to Chicago, IL in a 1987 XJ-SC