XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Salisbury 3.54:1 Power Lock Diff Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Salisbury 3.54:1 Power Lock Diff Wanted

Hi I am looking for a replacement differential for my mid renovation 1982 XJS V12. I need to locate a Salisbury 3.54:1 Power Lock Diff. This is part of the bare metal restoration on my Lister variant Jag that I am also converting to a manual 5 speed Getrag. Tried endless searches and all the usual lines of enquiry so any leads will be much appreciated. thanks

Old 04-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Can you not "hybrid" one?

All V12s in the UK (at least HE on) had the PowrLok diff. But they were 2.88:1. The 3.54:1 was IIRC fitted to the 3.6l but rarely had a PowrLok.

As the units themselves are the same, you should be able to adapt them together. It would probably be enough just to change the crownwheel and pinion... The rest is the same (apart from PowrLok/non-PowrLok).

Old 04-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

There was one listed here not that long ago, within the last month. It was the full IRS.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...brakes-177231/

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
Daim (04-05-2017), ronbros (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 11:14 AM

Problem solved managed to get one from a breaker quotes enquiry.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:42 AM

Hi thanks for the reply I have got a 3.54 sorted. I wanted the 3.54 as I have the original 1986 Lister price and one of the many stage modifications was to replace the 2.88 with the 3.54. Mine had some modifications made in 1986 but I am retro fitting some more of the price list options as part of my restoration. Gallery can be seen here https://goo.gl/photos/rXGnBu56Vg3iQyGX9

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

this has been posted many times on this site!

buy a DANA matched ring & pinion gear set, with new ring bolts(with sleeve inserts).

i use a GM drivshaft yoke, and single piece ALUM. shaft 3.73 ratio(simply order 3.54) mated to a GM trans 700R4.

Attached Thumbnails Salisbury 3.54:1 Power Lock Diff Wanted-jag-under-shaft-trans-010.jpg  
Old 04-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dana gears in a 2.88 diff

"this has been posted many times on this forum!"

No it has...many times its mentioned "buy some dana gears and some bushings" ZERO part numbers and actual parts list of what all is required to convert a 2.88 rear end to 3.54 or 3.73 gears. I have even posted a NEW thread and got no actual parts list. If you've been there done that post the part numbers, not blanket statements like "put some dana gears in it and been done" that helps NO ONE! Yes for use NEW Jaguar XJS owners we understand some Dana 44 gears might work. What is the carrier good for? Ive been told you need to change it for 3.54 or 3.73 if you have 2.88. We need to know for USA and Non USA V12 cars.

Helpful replies much appreciated...smart *** BS replies I will ask my kids for.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Dana gears are not so easily available in the UK, which is where the OP is from.

I briefly looking into using Dana parts when I was doing my differential rebuild, and decided there was too many unknowns, plus it isn't a drop in. The drive shaft needs to be modified, and I didn't want to do that.

You're correct, the 2.88 carrier can only be used for 2.88 gears. The other carrier is for 3.07 and numerically larger gear ratios. The difference in offset is about 1/4". I looked into using a spacer, and there are none available; and the practice is highly discouraged.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
You're correct, the 2.88 carrier can only be used for 2.88 gears. The other carrier is for 3.07 and numerically larger gear ratios. The difference in offset is about 1/4". I looked into using a spacer, and there are none available; and the practice is highly discouraged.
There are a couple of XJS race cars here in Aus that run 3.54 gears on a 2.88 hemisphere with a spacer, neither of these cars has broken a diff.

I was originally going to do this but lucked on a 3.58 LSD from an XJ40.

If you do use a spacer then it needs to be machined correctly with an interface fit on the hemisphere.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Default Drawing

can someone supply the exact parts needed? What Dana gears part number for 3.54 and 3.73. A drawing of the spacer to use with 2.88 carrier and bushing drawing. I have a buddy who can machine parts but I need drawings. What needs to be done to yoke?

Old 04-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

it sounds like you should send the pumpkin unit out ,to a professional differential rebuilder!

you want me to look up part numbers for you, on something i did 22 years ago, com'on get real!

Old 04-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Default Helpful posts

I do not "expect" you to look up anything you did 22years ago. I just simply state if you don't know...and you do not...there's no need to post un helpful smart assed replies. In your case...if you must reply to a post you have no helpful data to contribute you might say next time "I did my car 22 years ago and can't recall the part numbers. I did use a Dana something ring and pinion and do recall bolt bushing and maybe a spacer is needed to uses the "Dana" ring and pinion gears. I do also recall having to have the front yoke modified. But it's been so long ago I'm afraid I'm can't be of any real help other than, yes it can be done. Wish I could help more. Good luck!" That is a pleasant message of all the data you have to offer on this topic. (Or all I can see you have from the !!!! And short tempered messages you have so far given)

sorry to be a forum police...but these "I've done it, don't remember anything other than I've done it" type posts do nothing but to clog up the thread with useless posts with no real help to someone trying to do it today. If I wanted to do it all with my own trial and error...like you had to do 22 years ago before the great thing of Internet forums...I'd simply do just that. I want to find someone who has the data they can share and post it so it takes the searching and mystery and part questioning out of the swap. If no one has it...so be it. But no one needs anymore "take it professional!!!!!!" "Look at me, I did it 22 years ago!" BS posts to search while trying to find actual useful data.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotahp1
sorry to be a forum police...

No apology needed. I'm sure nobody here views you that way.

DD

Old 04-06-2017, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

The part numbers and method of converting to using Dana 44 gear sets
in an early hemisphere are fully documented in at least two places on
the interwebs. All the different possible combinations are listed in a
chart on one of those pages with the necessary adjustments in part
numbers.

Am I going to invest the time to do someone else's homework?

Ummm ... no. Finding those pages was incidental to using my existing
Jaguar gearset with an Auburn LSD.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:44 AM

I had no idea I was suppose to do "homework" or "pay my dues" before asking for actual data. I guess I assumed a forum for people interested in the same thing was suppose to be a knowledge sharing source for both old time enthusiasts and new enthusiasts of a given interest. I was unaware it was simply a place to say "I'm not telling you anything...it's out there somewhere...I either found it when I was doing it or I just blazed my own path...it is not acceptable to ask "how" or with exactly "what" I did with what part numbers or dimensions etc. you should be pleased I am here to tell you to go find it yourself! It's on the internet (don't mistake that as me having any clue as to where you might find this info or mistake that for I have any idea what I'm talking about, it just pisses me off when people ask for part numbers and data to accomplish a task when I didn't have that info when I did MINE. Come back when you can tell the next guy wanting to do it..."yeap it's been done, here see my pic, now do your HOMEWORK and figure it out yourself! Instead of asking how on a forum...what do you think a forum on car maintenance is for? Learning how to do something???? Nooooo it's to brag you did it without reading any instructions or asking anyone else that has already done it!"

Anyway, since ZERO links to the info I actually requested is being given...very nice of the last guy to state it is indeed out there and again, post a reply stating "I'm not doing your homework for you!!!!!" I take it as either no one actually knows the information needed and no one actually knows where or if this has been listed before (although I found many threads basically asking for this info and the topic of gear changes brought up, none I found...during my "homework" before posting a thread asking if someone knew this data or could give a link to where it was... I assume I know as much as the rest and simply put only know it can be done with a Dana 44 gear set and lots of other modifications.

Real helpful guys! Learned a lot!

Old 04-06-2017, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

People share part numbers and tech data very often around here....when they have such info close at hand. Sometimes it isn't. I've enjoyed many car projects over the years. I don't keep a folder full of invoices next to my computer just in case someone needs a part number for something I bought a year ago or ten years ago.

You're acting as though people are intentionally holding back information just to torment you in some way. They aren't.

DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Daim (04-07-2017), plums (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Some of the participants here are the same people who have posted
pieces of information that allowed me to pull on threads that brought me
to other pages that allowed me to pull on more threads and so forth until
I could see the whole picture.

To those people ... THANKS!

Maybe someday I will actually get around to installing the whole thing

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
Daim (04-07-2017), ronbros (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

This is off topic re the diff but...
Has somebody started putting something in the water in the last couple of days.
Some out there need a chill pill or two and a good lie down.
(Not only this thread involved)

The following users liked this post:
Daim (04-07-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Maybe people are being 'triggered' and need a 'safe-place'??????

ME, I'm just sarcastic and cranky most of the time. (Stay out of the left lane and use your turn signals!!!!!)

bob

Old 04-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lotahp1, I was digging into this subject to. This thread has some discussion about the matter and, while it's not a complete answer, it might help you out:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-gears-73547/

Maybe you can message some posters in that thread and they'll have ideas?