Old 05-07-2015, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,597 Posts
Default Silicone Radiator Hoses or OEM Rubber which is best? XJS V12

Silicone or Rubber Radiator Hoses

Which is best and more durable?

Old 05-07-2015, 04:41 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

I installed silicon hoses. The good point is that they never become hard, and I believe it will be a benefit when servicing in such a tight engine bay in the future.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,914 Likes on 1,665 Posts

I heard that silicone ones don't leak, they just go bang when they let go so you get no warning at all.
Stick to OEM.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve M:
orangeblossom (05-07-2015), ptjs1 (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
I heard that silicone ones don't leak, they just go bang when they let go so you get no warning at all.
Stick to OEM.
Agreed. You will safely get 5 years out of a decent set of conventional ones. And they are tough and do not have to have special clips, etc etc.

Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
orangeblossom (05-07-2015), ptjs1 (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

As you see there are already differing views. So my opinion is worth no more than anyone else's. But here it is anyway!

Silicon hoses were touted as the future when manufacturing costs reduced such that they became a cost-effective practicality. They are supple, resistant to contamination etc etc BUT there are some downsides.

As Steve has alluded, there seems to be something in their inherent composition, that IF they do fail through manufacturing problems, excess pressure or whatever, they don't start to leak as a traditional rubber hose might do at its joints, but they fail instantly usually splitting completely along their length. I have seen one or two that have failed and you'll realise that if it happens, you lose all the coolant immediately. Herein lies the problem for an XJS owner.

On some engines, you can overheat them, perhaps blowing a head gasket and then you can fix it. However, on a Jaguar V12, you just can't overheat the engine, as you know. You will blow the head gaskets and you WILL warp the heads. Very, very expensive.

So, whilst many will have fitted silicon hoses on a V12 and had absolutely no problems at all, you have to make the decision. My personal view would be, on a Jaguar V12, fit a good quality set of OEM hoses, change the coolant every 2 years and change the hoses every 5 years.

Having stoked the fire, I'll now retire to a safe place....

Paul

Last edited by ptjs1; 05-07-2015 at 10:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (05-07-2015), orangeblossom (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The internet is full of sad stories regarding silicone hoses.

Problem with silicone hoses is that, many years ago, they became sort of a fad. They were very popular with the boy racer crowd. Everyone just had to have 'em.

Next thing you know everyone and his brother has gone into the silicone hose business. More competition means lower prices...which, often as not, means questionable quality. What used to be an 'upgrade' can now be a cool sounding downgrade.

I'd stick with conventional hoses unless you have good reason to believe the manufacturer of the silicone type is selling a high grade product.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Interesting. The trans plant "kit" from the donor, 94 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, came with one or two "green" hoses, purported to be superior to just rubber. well they didn't fit and my car got conventional black rubber hoses. So far, just fine.

Carl

Old 05-07-2015, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

For many years (and perhaps still) GM sold green silicone hoses for the RWD Impalas/Caprices. Those hoses were originally used on the police car applications. High grade stuff.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Doug:

from other sources, that is what I heard. The Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham was indeed, a GM, top of the line.

Carl

Old 05-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Japthug
I installed silicon hoses. The good point is that they never become hard, and I believe it will be a benefit when servicing in such a tight engine bay in the future.
Hi Ikuma

As there seems to be a downside to these Silicon Hoses, I think I'll play safe and stay with OEM.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
Stick to OEM.
Hi Steve

Cheers!

I'll stick to OEM.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Agreed. You will safely get 5 years out of a decent set of conventional ones. And they are tough and do not have to have special clips, etc etc.

Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks!

I'll order some OEM hoses and was going to use some Mikalor Stainless Steel Super Clamps to put them on with.

Please give me the heads up, if that's not a good idea.

SUPRA - Hose Clamp

Old 05-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

As you see there are already differing views. So my opinion is worth no more than anyone else's. But here it is anyway!

Silicon hoses were touted as the future when manufacturing costs reduced such that they became a cost-effective practicality. They are supple, resistant to contamination etc etc BUT there are some downsides.

As Steve has alluded, there seems to be something in their inherent composition, that IF they do fail through manufacturing problems, excess pressure or whatever, they don't start to leak as a traditional rubber hose might do at its joints, but they fail instantly usually splitting completely along their length. I have seen one or two that have failed and you'll realise that if it happens, you lose all the coolant immediately. Herein lies the problem for an XJS owner.

On some engines, you can overheat them, perhaps blowing a head gasket and then you can fix it. However, on a Jaguar V12, you just can't overheat the engine, as you know. You will blow the head gaskets and you WILL warp the heads. Very, very expensive.

So, whilst many will have fitted silicon hoses on a V12 and had absolutely no problems at all, you have to make the decision. My personal view would be, on a Jaguar V12, fit a good quality set of OEM hoses, change the coolant every 2 years and change the hoses every 5 years.

Having stoked the fire, I'll now retire to a safe place....

Paul
Hi Paul

Many Thanks for your reply and reminding me about the overheating problems on the XJS.

So I will be staying with OEM hoses.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
The internet is full of sad stories regarding silicone hoses.

Problem with silicone hoses is that, many years ago, they became sort of a fad. They were very popular with the boy racer crowd. Everyone just had to have 'em.

Next thing you know everyone and his brother has gone into the silicone hose business. More competition means lower prices...which, often as not, means questionable quality. What used to be an 'upgrade' can now be a cool sounding downgrade.

I'd stick with conventional hoses unless you have good reason to believe the manufacturer of the silicone type is selling a high grade product.

Cheers
DD
Doug

You are absolutely right, Quality is everything so I am not rolling the dice and so I will be staying with OEM.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
For many years (and perhaps still) GM sold green silicone hoses for the RWD Impalas/Caprices. Those hoses were originally used on the police car applications. High grade stuff.

Cheers
DD
Hi Doug

Since quality cannot be guaranteed with various brands of Silicone Hoses, I will play safe and stay with OEM.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Interesting. The trans plant "kit" from the donor, 94 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, came with one or two "green" hoses, purported to be superior to just rubber. well they didn't fit and my car got conventional black rubber hoses. So far, just fine.

Carl
I'm with you on that now Carl, I will get some OEM rubber ones.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Idk what they are on about, I've never had a rubber hose "leak" instead of exploding, if they are compromised, they are going to basically blow up.

That is the thing, the silicone doesn't wear, dry, oxidize, etc etc anywhere near as bad as traditional rubber does. They are also reinforced just like rubber, so it is what it is. Just stay away from the gawdy red and blue hose sets and stick with good ol black

If you are worried about quality, go with a known brand.

BTW URO brand rubber hoses are noticeable thinner than oem

Last edited by sidescrollin; 05-07-2015 at 07:57 PM.
orangeblossom (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Idk what they are on about, I've never had a rubber hose "leak" instead of exploding, if they are compromised, they are going to basically blow up.

That is the thing, the silicone doesn't wear, dry, oxidize, etc etc anywhere near as bad as traditional rubber does. They are also reinforced just like rubber, so it is what it is. Just stay away from the gawdy red and blue hose sets and stick with good ol black

If you are worried about quality, go with a known brand.

BTW URO brand rubber hoses are noticeable thinner than oem
Hi Sidescrollin

I won't compromise on the hoses, I'm going for OEM, as Ive no previous experience of using the Silicone ones, so I am going 'Old School'

Old 05-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I mean, like everyone said, they will last for years so you really don't need to worry. I was just trying to weigh in on the silicone a bit since everyone seems to be sort of hating on them.

With some of the things that are a pain to replace on the XJS, 5 years can fly by. Some I would have no issue with. For example I put new struts on the hood when I got the car, wouldn't complain if they died on me now. New brake pads would feel sudden to me, even though it has been a long time (but nowhere near enough miles).
The only issue I had with the thinner URO hoses was with the driver side balance pipe, which collapsed under vacuum.

Have fun with the heat hoses, razor blades are your friend when removing old hoses

Old 05-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

I use a braided stainless steel hoses. Hi quality and the look great.

Quick Reply: Silicone Radiator Hoses or OEM Rubber which is best? XJS V12