XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

squeak from wheels after driving 30 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 06:35 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default squeak from wheels after driving 30 minutes

Hi all: I am getting a squeak from the wheels - not 100% sure where it is coming from - back or front. It starts after about 20-30 minutes of driving. It relates to the wheel rotations because the frequency increases as the speed increases. When I apply the brakes, it immediately stops. When I release the brakes it usually starts again. It varies in loudness - sometimes soft, sometimes a very loud high pitched sound. The brakes feel fine - not spongy or ineffective.
I pulled off the wheels and could not see anything that looks strange - the pads have plenty of wear to go, and nothing appeared to be rubbing on the wheel or rotors.
It is clear that this must somehow relate to things warming up during the drive. I have read about special grease than goes on the brake pads. Could it relate to this?
Bill

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by billmgeo
Hi all: I am getting a squeak from the wheels - not 100% sure where it is coming from - back or front. It starts after about 20-30 minutes of driving. It relates to the wheel rotations because the frequency increases as the speed increases. When I apply the brakes, it immediately stops. When I release the brakes it usually starts again. It varies in loudness - sometimes soft, sometimes a very loud high pitched sound. The brakes feel fine - not spongy or ineffective.
I pulled off the wheels and could not see anything that looks strange - the pads have plenty of wear to go, and nothing appeared to be rubbing on the wheel or rotors.
It is clear that this must somehow relate to things warming up during the drive. I have read about special grease than goes on the brake pads. Could it relate to this?
Bill
Hi Bill

It could be that the Brake Pads are sticking on the Retaining Pins in the Caliper, especially if the pins are a bit rusty.

If not that then the Brake Pads might be jamming in the Caliper, so when you put the brakes on, they don't always completely come off.

So the first thing I'd do is to check that, to make sure they're not getting jammed.

I've had the same problem myself and a little bit of cleaning up may well do the trick.

If you remove the brake pads do not lever them back into the Caliper, to either take them out or put them back, without having the bleed screws on the Caliper
open, or you can do serious damage to the Valve Block, with even a microscopic amount of contaminated brake fluid, being forced back the wrong way up the system.

If that doesn't cure the problem, then it could be a sticking Caliper, which can be far more dangerous than you might think, as sooner or later the

friction against the Roter, could make the Brake Fluid boil and within a few seconds you could then loose all the Brakes.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 07-21-2015 at 02:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (07-25-2015)