XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Stalled after 15 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stalled after 15 miles.

I have been working on it for several months. New to me and no idea on the history. Finally got title issue taken care of and plated. Took it for a longer run. Drove about 15 miles and stalled. Pulled to the side. Started it up and ran for about another 15 and started sputtering. Felt like no fuel and then stalled again. Was able to get it started after several attempts. Feathered the pedal and it was able to move slowly. Stalled again. Cranked it a few times and it started. Limped home with very little power. Feels like a fuel issue. Gas tank had pressure and air released. I've noticed it before. Are the two related? Is the fuel getting too hot? Fuel filter issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Almost certainly a fuel feed issue. It could be that the fuel tank breather mechanism is blocked. If so, you gradually create a vacuum in the tank until the fuel system is starved. It can seem like pressure when you open the filler cap, but really it is air rushing in. Some people drill a 2mm hole though the cap, but ideally fix the venting system. Worth trying some sort of home made vent/drill a hole to see if this is the problem. Some other points:
  • Have you cleaned out the sump tank beneath the battery and changed its interior filter sock?
  • Have you changed the fuel filter (behind the spare wheel)?
If not, do these two anyway. It sounds like your car is gradually starving itself of fuel, and these are classic symptoms of the sump tank/filter being blocked, as well as the tank vent being blocked. When chnaging the filter it is also worth disconnecting the fuel line from the front RHS of the engine, before the pressure regulator, and blowing it through from the filter outlet with some compressed air.

The Great Palm's book is very good on this problem, well worth a read. Welcome to XJS land, you will never be free again!

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 04-05-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

+1 on Greg's advice

Cheers
DD

Old 04-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

i had a very similar issue to this, i even narrowed it down to how i was driving , and the fix ( for me ) proved to be right

firstly , the car would loose power for no apparent reason , i got it down to a fuelling issue, but the pump was good as were the pressure regulators

then , i discovered that it only happen on long smooth journeys, and not twisty winding roads...?

conclusion

the swirl pot under the battery would settle the debris agains the pickup pipe gauze on long smooth roads, and then begin to starve the engine of fuel ,

on twisty roads the fuel moved around more in the swirl pot preventing the debris from settling

removal resulted in about half a teaspoon of black sand like debris that would clog the fine brass gauze pickup ,

never had a problem since cleaning it out

worth a shot for zero cost repair ??

BB

Old 04-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it's not from venting the fuel tank. Drilled a hole in cap and problem still exists. Next step is the sump and fuel filter. I need a new fuel sender so it looks like draining the fuel and having a go at all of it.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might be worth a shot to check the supply line from the main tank down to the fuel pump pickup tank. Mine had been sitting for awhile so the rust/crud/whoknowswhat was all settling in the main tank and blocking the flow to the smaller tank under the battery. It would stall after running the small tank out of gas. i could pull over, blow out the supply line back up into the main tank and it would run again until it stopped up. inevitably, the rust would make to the sump tank and it would need cleaned. I also removed the main tank and cleaned it and coated it.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw the other thread you have going on. Glad you got it worked out. Sorry for the double post.