XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Stupid question...how do I assemble the battery box? (aka sorting out my boot)

Old 03-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Stupid question...how do I assemble the battery box? (aka sorting out my boot)

I have both halves of the plastic box that covers the battery and sump tank but I can't for the life of me figure out how they are supposed to go together, and close, and cover all the stuff. I even looked at pictures of well-sorted cars on eBay and stuff. I assume one half has to slide underneath the sump tank, the other half sits on top and the half-turn plastic screws pass through both plastic halves into the two holes in the battery tray? Or no?

And while I'm on the subject, what holds the carpeting covering the fuel tank? It looks like crap just hanging there all wrinkly and flaccid. I thought about at least spray-gluing it to some cardboard or something.

And is there a piece of carpet that sits under the spare tire (in the recess where the drain holes / plugs are)? I may be missing that piece if there is supposed to be one there.

I finally got my boot lights and my power antenna fixed (not long after pulling my gas tank 3 times) so now I want to get this boot area looking nice and sorted out.

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

i could tell you how it goes together if i was in front of it, as i have changed the battery on a 90 XJS rouge. but my 85 doesnt have any of this mess, and trying to explain it from memory would be difficult. sorry.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,076 Likes on 5,344 Posts

Originally Posted by Darel
I have both halves of the plastic box that covers the battery and sump tank but I can't for the life of me figure out how they are supposed to go together, and close, and cover all the stuff. I even looked at pictures of well-sorted cars on eBay and stuff. I assume one half has to slide underneath the sump tank, the other half sits on top and the half-turn plastic screws pass through both plastic halves into the two holes in the battery tray? Or no?

And while I'm on the subject, what holds the carpeting covering the fuel tank? It looks like crap just hanging there all wrinkly and flaccid. I thought about at least spray-gluing it to some cardboard or something.

And is there a piece of carpet that sits under the spare tire (in the recess where the drain holes / plugs are)? I may be missing that piece if there is supposed to be one there.
Darel

A couple of pics I hope will help. Bolt in the metal structure that covers the sump tank first, not too easy to get on the lower bolts. Then the plastic cover goes into the obvious holes on the metal structure.

As original, on my '85, there was no carpet under the spare wheel.

The carpet covering the tank was just fixed at the top by a few dabs of glue originally. When I redid mine, I spray glued it at the top and a little down the sides. But you need to make sure you can get to the filter to change it though. In my case, the carpet has a large square cut out hidden behind the spare. The fuel sender and the filter are all accessible that way.

Greg

Old 03-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Greg,
Thanks, I now see I'm missing that metal plate. And here I was trying to line it up with the bolt holes, as well as trying to put the two halves on top of one another (I can see in your pics they are offset and the top one rides over the wheelwell). I'll have to look around and see if I can dig up that metal plate somewhere.

Thanks!
D