XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Suggestions for installing aftermarket seat heaters.....

Old 12-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Suggestions for installing aftermarket seat heaters.....

.......but making them work with the original switch.

My car did not come with seat heaters, and I don't think I want to buy a whole bunch of used OEM parts that are over 20 years old. The only thing I would like is to power and ground them thru the power supply intended for the factory seats and operate them from the factory switch, so it all "looks stock", so all I would have to buy is the aftermarket heaters and seat controls that come with the heater buttons

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Old 12-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
.......but making them work with the original switch.

My car did not come with seat heaters, and I don't think I want to buy a whole bunch of used OEM parts that are over 20 years old. The only thing I would like is to power and ground them thru the power supply intended for the factory seats and operate them from the factory switch, so it all "looks stock", so all I would have to buy is the aftermarket heaters and seat controls that come with the heater buttons

Has anyone done this?

Thanks
If the seat heaters you buy do not come with relays then you will need to add them. The switches alone are not capable of the current needed to run the heaters.

It should be a simple installation. Everything will connect to the relays; 12V, switches and heater.

The other thing to consider is a timer. You might be able to find a timer/relay combination. That way the heaters will automatically turn off at a set number of minutes.

Its probably best to buy a complete heater kit that includes the relays, switches and wiring. Then you can just substitute the Jag switches for the ones that come with the kit.

Mark

Last edited by Safari; 12-28-2014 at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Spikepaga (12-29-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

question; how much current does each seat use?

would a higher output alternator be required?

Old 12-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Safari
If the seat heaters you buy do not come with relays then you will need to add them. The switches alone are not capable of the current needed to run the heaters.

It should be a simple installation. Everything will connect to the relays; 12V, switches and heater.

The other thing to consider is a timer. You might be able to find a timer/relay combination. That way the heaters will automatically turn off at a set number of minutes.

Its probably best to buy a complete heater kit that includes the relays, switches and wiring. Then you can just substitute the Jag switches for the ones that come with the kit.

Mark
Thanks Mark

Well I would like to use all the original wiring, relays and fuses. And just use the aftermarket heating elements if possible.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Thanks Mark

Well I would like to use all the original wiring, relays and fuses. And just use the aftermarket heating elements if possible.
Well then comes the question if your car has the needed wiring. You said your car did not come with heated seats so I don't know if Jaguar used a different harness for those cars.

If you do have the wiring then you should be able to plug in the factory relays, fuses, switches and heater pads.

If you don't have the factory wiring then your better off to just get a complete kit and wire it in according to their instructions.

Mark