XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Is There Any Justifiable Reason For Owning More Than One XJS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

She's a lovely Color Mark

You can't have too many XJS's

So I'm really looking forward to seeing your new photos

Old 06-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Yes... YES

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member

What made you do it Mark, what pushed you over the edge?

Did you go looking for Her or did She find you?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
What made you do it Mark, what pushed you over the edge?

Did you go looking for Her or did She find you?
I am always on the lookout for XJS cars and parts so I keep an eye on Craigslist and I also place ads looking for anything related to the XJS.

In this case I had seen the car for sale on Craigslist and it looked interesting but it was not running and the seller was asking too much money for it so I did not respond to his ad.

A few days later the seller contacted me through one of my "wanted" ads and asked if I was interested in his car. I told him that it looked nice but was out of my price range.

He told me that he did not want to spend anymore time or money on repairs and his wife was tired of looking at it. He was open to offers.

So I went and looked at it and saw that it was in very good condition, most of the original parts were still in place and it had not been modified too much. The engine would only run for a short time before it would stall but it was long enough to hear that the engine was sound.

I told him that I was taking a big chance on a car that I could not test drive and that what I could offer him was half of what he was asking. He talked to his wife and we made the deal.

So now its in my shop. I have determined that the problem with the engine is ignition related so I have ordered the part and hope to have it running by this weekend or maybe next.

The paint is not great but I have an idea to cover a lot of it with a Jaguar Racing livery until I am ready to paint it.

What do you think of this? (please forgive the marginal PhotoShop skills)

Mark

orangeblossom (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes there are many reasons to own more then one XJS.

One day last year when wewere in Tokyo, and my new grand daughter Annie was maybe 2 or 3 weeks old, my son-in-law Justin was working late, grandson was a sleep,my wife was in bed sick since noon, and my daughter looked like the walking dead soI told Amber to give me Annie and try for a couple hours of sleep. What couldgo wrong in a couple of hours? The first30 minutes we bonded, and she just looked at my mustache. Then she started tofuss, and over the next 30 minutes she went from fussing to crying. Not greatbut I can handle this. Well apparentlyshe had not been really crying, because over the next 30 minutes the volumeapproached a jet fighter engine with full after burners!

Using all the techniquesavailable to grandparents, I tried to find things on the internet which wouldmake her happy, or at least back down to a low scream. Getting desperate I went with all out briberyto see if it would work, and guess what? At a picture of a red Jaguar XJS convertible her volume lowered tosomewhere around the 90db level. I have been married for 40 years so I knewthat I could work with this, and I mentioned that I would buy her the car if she would just stop cryinguntil Amber woke up for feeding time. Yeah we all saw this coming, and she immediatelybacked down to large air gulps, then hiccups, then soft murmurings. My rightindex finger was on her chest, and when I asked her if it was a deal, she kindof smiled and held my finger with her right and shook once and went to sleep.Yes that’s my story, and I am sticking to it!

Annie now has a ’94 Signal Red XJS4.0l 2+2 conv., and since they have moved back to USA and there is no place in Brooklyn to store it, I as hergrandpa, will take on the added responsibility to store, maintain, andoccasionally drive as necessary to keep it in shape for when she is old enoughto drive. Since they are starting tobecome scarce, I thought of spare parts, and justified buying a spare XJS! This one is British racing green, and I donot intend to give it to Annie.

What are the odds of a low miles '94 Flamenco red XJS 4.0l 5 speed showing up on Craig's list only 90 miles from my home, sooooo...

Ofcourse my loving wife has invoke a grandma rule that whenever I drive the jag weneed to stop at an ice cream shop. It isamazing what I do for love.

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg Reed:
orangeblossom (06-03-2015), ronbros (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Mark

As soon as I saw that Photo, I thought that was your Car!

So you are much better at Photoshop than you think and although I'm really not over keen on using Decals myself, I do have to say that looking like that, She really does have the 'Wow Factor'

Green is one of my favorite Colors on a Jag although the closest I have come was a 'Fern Green' XJS, which happened to be the first XJS that I've owned but unfortunately She turned out to be a bit of a Basket Case, so had to go.

BRG is the real deal for me and although I've never had one, I just cannot wait to see what you have bought, She sounds like a bit of a bargain from what you've been saying.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-03-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg Reed
Yes there are many reasons to own more then one XJS.

One day last year when wewere in Tokyo, and my new grand daughter Annie was maybe 2 or 3 weeks old, my son-in-law Justin was working late, grandson was a sleep,my wife was in bed sick since noon, and my daughter looked like the walking dead soI told Amber to give me Annie and try for a couple hours of sleep. What couldgo wrong in a couple of hours? The first30 minutes we bonded, and she just looked at my mustache. Then she started tofuss, and over the next 30 minutes she went from fussing to crying. Not greatbut I can handle this. Well apparentlyshe had not been really crying, because over the next 30 minutes the volumeapproached a jet fighter engine with full after burners!

Using all the techniquesavailable to grandparents, I tried to find things on the internet which wouldmake her happy, or at least back down to a low scream. Getting desperate I went with all out briberyto see if it would work, and guess what? At a picture of a red Jaguar XJS convertible her volume lowered tosomewhere around the 90db level. I have been married for 40 years so I knewthat I could work with this, and I mentioned that I would buy her the car if she would just stop cryinguntil Amber woke up for feeding time. Yeah we all saw this coming, and she immediatelybacked down to large air gulps, then hiccups, then soft murmurings. My rightindex finger was on her chest, and when I asked her if it was a deal, she kindof smiled and held my finger with her right and shook once and went to sleep.Yes that’s my story, and I am sticking to it!

Annie now has a ’94 Signal Red XJS4.0l 2+2 conv., and since they have moved back to USA and there is no place in Brooklyn to store it, I as hergrandpa, will take on the added responsibility to store, maintain, andoccasionally drive as necessary to keep it in shape for when she is old enoughto drive. Since they are starting tobecome scarce, I thought of spare parts, and justified buying a spare XJS! This one is British racing green, and I donot intend to give it to Annie.

What are the odds of a low miles '94 Flamenco red XJS 4.0l 5 speed showing up on Craig's list only 90 miles from my home, sooooo...

Ofcourse my loving wife has invoke a grandma rule that whenever I drive the jag weneed to stop at an ice cream shop. It isamazing what I do for love.
Hi Greg

I can't say that I blame you for buying another one, though what I find so Amazing, is the way that an XJS can really mess with your mind.

ronbros (06-03-2015)
Old 08-23-2017, 03:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Safari
So my insanity continues.....I bought my third convertible today.

Color: HEN - Jaguar Racing Green
Trim: AFW - Barley

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pics. I will take better ones once the car can leave the shop under its own power.

The PO was not able to make the engine run properly. I could tell that he hated to sell it but his wife was tired of looking at a non-running XJS sitting in the backyard.

The car is in really good condition and most of it is original. I'm pretty sure I can get it running. It just needs a through going over.

Don't tell my wife!

Mark
you have a rare type 89 model ver less was produced. Can you tell the last 4 digits VIN because I have one from may 1988 What was deliverd in NY 1988
I tried to figure out what is the earlest model and las on from model 89 before modification to 90

Old 08-24-2017, 06:15 PM
Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

If I had some extra spending money, I would fill the garage with xjs`s. Unfortunately, I currently only have one and find great pleasure with the ride. Just don`t ask me to change the plugs . I spent two days modifying spark plug sockets to remove and replace the front two by the air con. I never want to lose that socket.

The following 2 users liked this post by chriskindbooks:
orangeblossom (08-25-2017), v1rok (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 12:18 AM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

For parts.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by chriskindbooks
If I had some extra spending money, I would fill the garage with xjs`s. Unfortunately, I currently only have one and find great pleasure with the ride. Just don`t ask me to change the plugs . I spent two days modifying spark plug sockets to remove and replace the front two by the air con. I never want to lose that socket.
For that first two bougies I have made a tool see pic change plugs under 20 min by a Jaguar XJS or XJ V12 and you do not need to remove the AC pump with this tools

take a normal socket 16 mm make the hole biger in center that it will fit the bougie rest make like pic and you have super tool

secon tool is for the rest of bougies. with this tool the bougies will not breack like the oem version. I take a old socket from a lanmower what was laying around the rest I bought by car part shop weldit up and job done

The following 3 users liked this post by Shellton:
chriskindbooks (08-25-2017), Greg in France (08-26-2017), orangeblossom (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 05:35 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I own 3, a green 88 that I want to put a V8 in, a red 89 that burnt and I keep saying I'll make it a mad max car and just got a 92 that I'm trying to get all the bugs worked out of

Old 08-26-2017, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
After I bought my first one, I got hopelessly addicted but when I finally kicked the habit, I sold the bad ones off.

And one day I'll be wishing I had kept them but (120 cylinders) was maybe a bit too much.
I don't think 120 cylinders is too much... That's why I have 128...

Old 08-26-2017, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by kmarajh
I own 3, a green 88 that I want to put a V8 in, a red 89 that burnt and I keep saying I'll make it a mad max car and just got a 92 that I'm trying to get all the bugs worked out of
I would not make an v8 conversion because you render the car in value to
$ 0,00 as these cars are very hard climing in price at the moment like Porsches a good car convertible in europe cost from $ 19k to $25k an in vergood condtion from $25k to $50k so considor what you want. I imported 3 jags and boy I sold them like a hot dog so fast.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:03 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I can see having a coupe and a convertible but there's so many cool cars out there, no need to have a bunch of the same cars. Plus it's a pain in the ***... I haven't even insured my Porsche this year cause I learned the quick way these jaguars are not happy when they're not in top form!

Old 08-26-2017, 03:26 PM

they like a real cat if you take good care they wil love you and please you
But if you do not do that and you rub them against them fur they will hurt you

Old 08-28-2017, 07:44 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shellton
I would not make an v8 conversion because you render the car in value to
$ 0,00 as these cars are very hard climing in price at the moment like Porsches a good car convertible in europe cost from $ 19k to $25k an in vergood condtion from $25k to $50k so considor what you want. I imported 3 jags and boy I sold them like a hot dog so fast.
The V8 conversion is for me to drive and enjoy relatively worry free. I love the looks of the cars but have never been in love with the drive train, parts are becoming harder to find and more expensive than its worth. Well converted cars are selling as there is comfort in knowing that if something goes wrong with a SBC or LS powered car while on a road trip, any parts store or junkyard can get you back on the road. Too many early conversions were *******ized or done without much attention to detail. We've owned over a dozen jags in the family and 6 have been XJS V12s of various vintage. I agree with that mint condition cars are selling for in the 19-25k range but considering what these cars costed when new, that's not something to brag about in my books. In my years of messing with these I've learned that near perfect cars have a very limited audience and the neglected ones can barely find buyers. I'm one of the few idiots that keep buying the neglected ones trying to save the species. My cars aren't perfect or anywhere near, they all have battle scars and rust and electrical gremlins hence the reason I could afford them. Actually looking at yet another one right now that hasn't seen daylight in years but not sure I want my neighbors to hate me