XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Thinking about getting a XJS...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a XJS...

So, I've always liked the XJS style and the idea of a V12. In about a month I'll have some money put away and I've been thinking about looking for an XJS. What should I look for? Are there certain years to stay away from? Certain spots that like to rust? I'm on the fence about this. I LOVE my X-type, it was one of my attainable dream cars, so I think a XJS would complement it well. I'm just not sure if its a good idea or not. Convince me haha

Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm selling my 95 coupe it's in amazing shape.
any xjs you will love.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:54 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...234#post796234

Your question comes up about once a month. Spend a few hours searching this forum and you should get a good feel for what's involved. The answers from the forum are always the same.

Buy the best one you can afford, don't go cheap.

Check for maintenance records.

If purchasing a 5.3L v12, ask when the fuel lines were last replaced. If they don't know what you're talking about, leave.

Check to make sure engine temp is pegged at N on a thorough test drive, including city driving.

And then you'll see the the threads degrade into V12s versus I6's, facelift versus non-facelift, coupe versus convertibles, growlers versus leapers.

It makes for a good read at first, but you'll probably don it very repetitive, which is a good thing for you. It should help reinforce your decision.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision!!!!

(I would seriously consider that 95 you were just offered, not that I know anything about it, but I'm a fan of the facelift models)

Old 08-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Received 10,296 Likes on 6,814 Posts

As already said, plus my experience in VERY brief form.

The V12 will always be a V12. It has its oddities, and maintenance issues that many never ever get kept up with.

The HE (about '82 to '88) is a good solid unit, although ageing well now and can be a "catch up" nightmare.

The HE (89 on) in 5.3ltr form was commonly known as the Marelli cars, and has its own little frustrations.

The "Update" (92ish to end of production) were all 6ltr, and still Marelli. Well sorted, and got the 4 speed TH400 transmission.

MY opinion:

The V12 is a must for any serious (or half serious) Jaguar person. You should own at least ONE in a lifetime. I had 4, greedy I am.

The fuel lines (already mentioned) is a MUST.

The EFI loom in the bottom of the "V" is very close second.

Cooling system cleanliness, inside and outside. Overheat a V12 and the $$ will exit your wallet real fast. So if the car you look at has no sign of recent radiator out and clean, walk away.

The list goes on. When I hear "up to date Dealer service records", I move on. The dealers want nothing to do with these old cars now (down here at least), so its either an untruth, or something similar. Enthusiast/independent serviced and maintained, got my attention.

No matter, there will be a LOT of "catch up" items. Some will annoy the hell out of you, some will plain scare the hell out you.

Our '85 Coupe (owned since 1995) took us all the way around Australia via the coast road, or lack of roads sometimes, twice. Google it, its a loooooong way.

We averaged 11.2L/100kms economy, and the only hiccup was an oil light switch that began leaking. Only one readily available was a Toyota unit, still in it today.

So what I am getting at, is that these are awesome cars, once set up as designed, all that catch up done and sorted, with some sensible upgrades, and will serve you well. If you plan on maintaining it yourself, even easier. If you want someone else to do the dirty work, good luck, I have seen this fall in a heap so many times.

My apologies if some of what I have said is taken the wrong way, but the facts is the facts, and glossing it up is not what I do, ever.

You rarely see a post about how good the car is etc etc. It only appears when its broke, or breaking.

Drive as many versions as you can find. You will know when the right one is in your hands, its something I cannot put into words, its just that warm and fuzzy feeling when its right.

The following users liked this post:
gkazimir (08-24-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for the replies. If I get one, it will for sure have a V12...the V12 is more than half the reason I want a XJS. I also do work on any and all cars I've ever had, mostly because I don't trust most shops and am too cheap to pay someone to do something I could do. Its also a good way to learn more. I'll start reading more and if I end up getting one I'll let you guys know for sure. Thanks again.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm also in Tampa Bay (north of Tampa).
Contact me off forum and I can give you some advice as well