XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Tips on stereo repalcement

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tips on stereo repalcement

Can anyone tell me if there is any tricks for installing an aftermarket sound system? ie size, power requirements, speaker size and speaker replacement tricks etc.

My car is an 86 XJS

The stock cassette system is ok but the sound quality is not great. I am not sure if this is the fault of the stereo or the speakers to be honest. My first thopught is to try a set of old 100W 6.6" Pioneer speakers I have laying around.

I am not looking for an external amped system or anything high end...just a CD player with its on internal amp (assuming that the deck is not very good if I upgrade the speakers)

Thanks guys

Thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

OK, since you've stated that you're not interested on anything serious, I'll just keep it to saying that I replaced the two front and the two rear speakers with Infinity Reference Series, 60wrms (180w peak) with swiveling center tweeters. They're 6 1/2" and a cinch to replace once you pull the door trim. That would be where the most sound quality difference is made.

However, that still doesn't come close to the wholeness of the sound that having better response for the low and ultra low frequencies and for the high frequencies and their stereo separation capability if coupled to dedicated (and properly aimed) tweeter drivers.

The head unit (HU) shouldn't make that much difference, sound wise, provided that you update the speakers. The only reason I've changed the HU's on both of my Jags is because of expandability and being able to play MP3 files and movie storage (hard drive) etc.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:24 PM

Did you need to do any cuttong on these speakers?

Also, how the hell do you get the back speakers out?

Thanks for the help

Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Man, it's been a while, but I'd say no cutting; the OEM speaker is also a 6 1/2" driver. I've also kept the OEM grille (snapped on) on both, my XJS and my XJR; that pretty much proves that the diameters are identical.
Mine is a '94 convertible, so the rear speakers are very accessible by just removing the trim piece that holds them. I believe one or two screws and a plastic snap.

Wouldn't know about pre-facelift, or coupes.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an older Alpine player with green parts that accentuates the wood on the dash. Check this out re speakers:

http://www.goflyrc.com/projects/XJS/xjsspeakers.htm

Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the link. Now just need to figure out the back speaker removal

Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Rear Speakers Removal

-The unanticipated problem I ran into AFTER I had removed/replaced the drivers (left) side rear speaker in my '89 XJS convertible, was the fact the Power Top power pack & hoses were obviously installed after the rear speaker was factory installed, and I was NOT going to remove this Hydraulic Unit to replace the speaker. Removing three of the original speaker mounting nut-to-studs was easy, but the bottom one down in the wheelwell area was simply not to be accessed by my fat fingers.
-Purists please cover your eyes for the next sentence, but I actually used a thin, long cold chisel, held by visegrips, lined it up carefully, and two hammer whacks later the speaker came out in my hand. The factory hole in the inside wood storage was already 6.5", and the new 6.5" Pioneer speaker slid down in the hole nicely, and was held in place with three self-tapping wood screws. I did cut the outside metal/carpeted panel to match the new 6" grills, and this was done with pairs (R&L) of good quality Aviation snips, following the pattern of the inside of the Pioneer grills. These were held in place with the supplied clips and screws.
-The front door speakers were a breeze to install once the inside door panels were carefully removed(tape and label the mirror wiring connectors).

Old 07-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
OK, since you've stated that you're not interested on anything serious, I'll just keep it to saying that I replaced the two front and the two rear speakers with Infinity Reference Series, 60wrms (180w peak) with swiveling center tweeters. They're 6 1/2" and a cinch to replace once you pull the door trim. That would be where the most sound quality difference is made.

However, that still doesn't come close to the wholeness of the sound that having better response for the low and ultra low frequencies and for the high frequencies and their stereo separation capability if coupled to dedicated (and properly aimed) tweeter drivers.

The head unit (HU) shouldn't make that much difference, sound wise, provided that you update the speakers. The only reason I've changed the HU's on both of my Jags is because of expandability and being able to play MP3 files and movie storage (hard drive) etc.
Movie storage? You watch movies in your car?