XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Unboxing a Bygone

Old 03-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default Unboxing a Bygone

Today I picked up this Bygone at a 'Yard Sale' for the Princely sum of £1-50

This was a Wipac Reversa-Lite (as spelled on the box)

But what is it?

Is it an under Front Bumper/Fender light as fitted to the XJS ?

Or is it a Reversing Light ?

I never bothered to open the Box when I bought it, I just took a 'Punt'

The Photos were taken as I unboxed it, so you are seeing what I saw for the very first time

I do have a bit of a feeling that it could be worth a bit more than £1-50!

As it was Brand New and in its Original Box with Original Packing and in that little sealed envelope are a couple of spade connectors

Wipac Reversa-Lite (Brand New and still in the Box)

First Time Unboxing, maybe I should have put the 'white gloves on'

Looking good so far but is it a Reversing Light or an under Bumper/Fender Front light as fitted to a model of an XJS

All Stainless Steel and a nice piece of kit but was this exactly the same as fitted to an XJS?

They don't make em like this anymore or maybe they do?

Built like a 'Brick Outhouse' and Solid as a Rock!

I wonder how much of a Bargain that was, I only paid £1-50!

Old 03-16-2018, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,744 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Looks like a reversing light to me.

Add-on reversing lights are popular now....as they were 'back in the day' before all cars had them as standard issue. From the packaging i'm guessing 60s-70s vintage?

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

It is an aftermarket reversing light. back in the 1960s and early 1970s, most cars did not have them, so you could add one with a dashboard switch if you wanted to have one. I clearly remember them...

Old 03-16-2018, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Doug and Greg

As my XJS's are tucked up for the Winter until the end of March, as what with the bad Weather it wouldn't be worth Taxing them till then

I bought the Wipac Light 'on spec' as it looked like a Front Spotlight for an XJS but no doubt you are right it's for reversing

Old 03-16-2018, 04:45 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Doug and Greg

As my XJS's are tucked up for the Winter until the end of March, as what with the bad Weather it wouldn't be worth Taxing them till then

I bought the Wipac Light 'on spec' as it looked like a Front Spotlight for an XJS but no doubt you are right it's for reversing
I think the clues in the name. lol
I think that's one fitted to my mini in 1979

Attached Thumbnails Unboxing a Bygone-img009.jpg  

Last edited by rgp; 03-16-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member

Another Bygone Bargain?

Maybe this will be more useful to fit on my XJS?

Its already showing a discharge and I haven't even Wired it up yet

Brand New and Still in the Box any ideas on the era?

Not sure how you would wire this up even though there is only one Wire

Old 03-16-2018, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom

Not sure how you would wire this up even though there is only one Wire
Another aftermarket scoop OB. By the by, I think that the wipac could be worth something, as lolts of people want period stuff for rebuilds etc.

An ammeter, says I anyway, is far more useful than a voltmeter. The reason they are almost never fitted these days is because to measure the amps, the entire current load from the main battery cable has to go through the ammeter; which makes wiring it into the dash both costly and even dangerous. The wire you see is the illumination; there should be two screw terminals for the main current load.
I am open to correction on this, but I would have thought it would be possible these days to have something digital in the main cable with a sender only to the dash, as knowing the amps is far more useful than a voltmeter.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France

An ammeter, says I anyway, is far more useful than a voltmeter. The reason they are almost never fitted these days is because to measure the amps, the entire current load from the main battery cable has to go through the ammeter; which makes wiring it into the dash both costly and even dangerous.
I've worked on a number of older cars with burned ammeter wiring. Mostly old Chrysler products but others as well. Not good!

A lot of older USA cars had a 'shunt' circuit ammeter. Only a sampling of current, not the full electrical load, passed through the the instrument.

As for usefulness, I have no preference....but voltmeters are certainly easier to contend with in terms of wiring, IMO

Cheers
DD

Old 03-16-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

The last car I had that included an ammeter was a 66 Ford Mustang. I miss them.

And, way back in 46, my first car, a 23 Ford T only had one instrument on the dash, an ammeter.

Odd uses early on:

1. My friend Billy lost the key to his T. Well, the ignition switch was always on. So, Billy a smart gu7y in many ways merely killed the engine with the choke or against a curb. Then if needed, cranked the engine just a tad til the meter showed O. Points open, no discharge!!!

2. Early old cars had no accessory position on the ignition switch. So, if any of us got lucky and found a gal to park with, we wanted music from the car radio. OK, just bump til the ammeter was 0. Key on, have fun. Extra caution, park on a hill. Early radios ate amps! Might need a start from coast Gals not favorably impressed with having to push.

I wonder if I have an old ammeter in my of stuff....

Carl

Old 03-16-2018, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
The last car I had that included an ammeter was a 66 Ford Mustang. I miss them.

I owned a '66 Mustang as well...and still work on them all the time, including just this week, in fact! They had the shunt-type ammeters; rarely operational these days unless they've been replaced.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-16-2018, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg@Doug

In that case it won't be going in my XJS!

But maybe I could wire it into my petrol generator to measure Current draw, or something like that?

Old 03-16-2018, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Trunk mounted it would be informative but less risky and difficult.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

All current measuring devices are SHUNT even the highend reference multimeters. They read the voltage across a resistor, accuracy is dependent on the quality of the resistor. Simple ohms law I=E/R.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Doug (03-16-2018), orangeblossom (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Carl

That's an interesting Story but don't think I'll be trying that in my XJS!

Old 03-16-2018, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Jig Jag

Maybe I'll just give that one a miss, although all the Bygone stuff I bought might be better suited to my MGB

Old 03-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
All current measuring devices are SHUNT even the highend reference multimeters. They read the voltage across a resistor, accuracy is dependent on the quality of the resistor. Simple ohms law I=E/R.

Thanks for the correction; I've obviously confused the terminology. But, whatever it's called, a lot of the old ammeters didn't carry the full electrical load but just a portion of it...or something like that?

Cheers
DD

Old 03-16-2018, 07:30 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Now your mucking about in my neck of the woods. Yes these old ammeters have to "see" all of the aux current to and from the battery. Yes there's a shunt, it's just built into the case of the meter. So on your old Mustang, 30 amps was it, so a 10 guage wire from the battery, to the ammeter, out to the junction of the power to the fuse box and the alternator.
Now 30 amps won't even run the radiator fan.
Most meter movements are 50 MilliAmps full scale and then bump the resistance of the shunt around depending on how many amps the meter reads at full scale.

Long winded, sorry.

Steve aka 71 MKIV
91 Jaguar XJS convertible classic edition
71 Triumph Spitfire
"never underestimate the perversity of an inanimate object"

Old 03-16-2018, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 71 MKIV
Now your mucking about in my neck of the woods. Yes these old ammeters have to "see" all of the aux current to and from the battery. Yes there's a shunt, it's just built into the case of the meter. So on your old Mustang, 30 amps was it, so a 10 guage wire from the battery, to the ammeter, out to the junction of the power to the fuse box and the alternator.

No, they were wired with light gauge wire....maybe 16 gauge?

Here's a cut-n-paste explaining the Mustang ammeter wiring for your review and comment.....surely better than my bollixed up effort !

"If they are talking about the ammeter wiring for the '66, then the wires can be left open. Some of the discussion on the other forum is correct, in that an ammeter is normally wired in series with the load in order to measure the current. However, what the ammeter on the '66 is not a simple series circuit. The current that is being measured is the current through the black/yellow wire that ties the output of the alternator to the battery via the starter relay terminal. If you look at the wiring diagram and trace the pair of wires that go to the ammeter, one side is connected to the alternator output and the other to the starter relay/battery post. However, those two points are ALSO tied together with the black/yellow wire. If you assume that the black/yellow wire is a perfect conductor, then there would never be any current flowing through the ammeter wires. That wire is NOT a perfect conductor, there is some resistance in the wire, just as there is some resistance in the ammeter coil. What is created is a parallel circuit where the ammeter coil is in parallel with the resistance of the black/yellow wire between the alternator output and the battery. The reason that the ammeter is wired in this way is that there can be significant current flowing between the alternator and the battery, 70 or more amps, and it would not be desireable to run a pair of heavy wires all the way from the alternator, through a dash mounted ammeter (that could directly read 70+ amps) and back to the battery. So what they have done is to shunt a small, proportional amount of current through a cheap low current ammeter to give an indication of the magnitude and direction of the current flowing in the black/yellow wire."

I think "...proportional current..." is what i was trying to express in saying a "sampling" of current.

I think some other American cars used a similar method. Chrysler products, though, ran the full system amperage right through the ammeter for many many years.

Interestingly, and new to me, is that 1965 Mustangs used an 'inductive loop' ammeter....no wiring connections at all. Apparently the wire just an along the backside of the instrument case and the needle reacts to a magnetic field!

Oh well, getting way off topic....but my curiosity got the better of me !

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
orangeblossom (03-17-2018), warrjon (03-17-2018)