XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Under Bonnet/Hood Insulation

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Under Bonnet/Hood Insulation

G'Day Friends
I am going to get some pressed bonnet/hood vents put into my bonnet/hood, these will be located towards the rear of bonnet and on either side, they will be faced backwards and are simply a cooling vent, but more a cosmetic thing. To have these pressed in the bonnet it will need to be bare steel so any under bonnet insulation will need to be removed prior and of course the paint will need to be removed where the vents are to be added.
My question is will this insulation have to be replaced, its not in the best of shape now and all I can see happening is it will just fall apart after removal, so it will be scraped. I realise heat is an issue but with the vents will this solve the problem? Or will I still need insulation on the non vented areas?
If this is purely a sound issue I an do without it altogether, I prefer to listen to the music under the hood then a music in the car.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

My sound deadener is missing and I guess has been for some time. The paint on my hood was completely faded with the clear lifting from the colour and was told the cause was excessive heat. I plan to find a replacement to keep this from happening to the new paint.
With your new vents it may not be a problem for you though.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I purchased some high-temp neoprene foam insulation, I think 1/4" thick, and it has held up nicely. There's a special spray adhesive that is to be used with this type of material, and again, that has held up nicely as well.

My previous '96 had fading/crazed paint on the hood, mostly in the center area, that I always suspected was from the sagging hood liner. The foam has performed well so far. It can be trimmed easily, so you can insulate as much or as little as you like.

The following users liked this post:
Gunner01 (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

it deadens sound mostly, but it also serves to protect the paint and panel itself. I would recover it mostly to reduce noise.

just cut out the part you need and if any extra needs to come down glue it back in place with a GOOD quality glue and make sure the area is prepped

Old 04-25-2014, 07:42 PM

Thanks Everyone
As I was suspecting heat could be the major player in this game, the cars due for a respray and I would hate to see the bonnet crack up prematurely.
I found this Jaguar XJS XJ Series 1 2 3 Under Bonnet Insulation | eBay
could be worth the money and simply cut around the vents as said, should be fine then.
Thanks again!

The following users liked this post:
Gunner01 (04-28-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 08:39 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Can't tell what it is, but you might want to make sure you have this on hand in case the peel and stick doesn't quite stick...

3M Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive: spray aerosol adhesives, adhesive aerosols, aerosol spray adhesives product information, 3M U.S.: 3M

Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

You need one of Gonzo's hoodliners, but he's been sick of late and may have run out. It would be easy to trim for your vents.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...dliner-101298/

Last edited by aholbro1; 04-26-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

I installed Gonzo's bonnet liner and it looks very nice and is staying on. Be sure to use the adhesive spray he recommended.
RagJag

Old 04-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Katoh
G'Day Friends
I am going to get some pressed bonnet/hood vents put into my bonnet/hood, these will be located towards the rear of bonnet and on either side, they will be faced backwards and are simply a cooling vent, but more a cosmetic thing. To have these pressed in the bonnet it will need to be bare steel so any under bonnet insulation will need to be removed prior...
With regard to the vents themselves:

I've thought about having this done but worry about water getting into the electrics, running down the cats, etc. I don't take my XJ-S out in the rain but sometimes the rain finds me anyway, so...

1. What, if anything, are you doing about any water that might come in through the vents?

2. Will you post photos when you're done?

Thanks.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
You need one of Gonzo's hoodliners, but he's been sick of late and may have run out. It would be easy to trim for your vents.
I will look at that.

With regard to the vents themselves:

I've thought about having this done but worry about water getting into the electrics, running down the cats, etc. I don't take my XJ-S out in the rain but sometimes the rain finds me anyway, so...

1. What, if anything, are you doing about any water that might come in through the vents?

2. Will you post photos when you're done?
The vents will backward, shark-gill type, as where they fall they should be over I assume the back 1/3 of inlet manifolds, I don't think there is much wiring there, and if there is it should all be new as I have rebuilt the harness. As for water on the cats, I don't have any, no cats where ever installed on my car. The other thing is hopefully if it goes to plan all that hot air should be flowing through those vents in the opposite direction to what the water wants to get in, should help?
If a bit of water does get in where it is I don't see it being an issue, wow famous last words there. LOL
I will post pics after its done, wont be pretty for a while as the paint has to be removed to press the vents in, until the whole car gets re-sprayed it will simply be a patched paintwork job, but my paintwork is pretty woeful at the moment anyway.