XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Found Lister pictures!

Old 04-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,905 Likes on 1,661 Posts
Default Found Lister pictures!

After many years of looking, found them by accident.
Car long gone now, but fun whilst it lasted. Various visual changes through the years.
The last one is outside the Salalah Hilton in Oman.

Attached Thumbnails Found Lister pictures!-1.jpg   Found Lister pictures!-2.jpg   Found Lister pictures!-3.jpg   Found Lister pictures!-4.jpg   Found Lister pictures!-5.jpg  

Found Lister pictures!-6.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (04-27-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 10:30 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Good looking XJS. I like the Lister package overall and the darker colors really compliment the car in my opinion. What was the HP rating on that car? Was it faster then your current XJS? Did it have beefed up suspension add ons?

Old 04-26-2014, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

I was never really sure of the hp output as it was a 5.3 but with fast road cams in it; it was definitely quicker than my current XJR-s but it was largely irrelevant as it expired after a year so ended up having another 2 lumps put in it and then gave up.
Suspension seemed firmer and the inside was black with contrasting black so it was a pretty moody place to be.
Sounded awesome with the centre boxes taken out too.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts
Unhappy

When you say it expired did it over heat or what was the failure? How many miles were on it and how had it been taken care of? Just wondering as you never know if a Lister or Lister type XJS might come up in ones future. When it did expire did you just lump another 5.3 into the car or something else? Do you ever see any Lister's around anymore in your area being driven or at shows etc.? Is rust a big concern from what you have seen on the older XJS' in the UK?
Thanks in advance as it is nice to get feed back from different areas of how many XJS' are seen being driven around and at shows etc. and how they are holding up in different conditions. I was looking at some of the KWE restorations the other day and I must say I was a bit taken back at the level of rust some of the XJS' are getting in the UK. Even the last year ones were seeing some incredible levels of rust which was a bit of a shock to me. From what I was seeing, I have to think that if a older car was driven daily in the UK it must have rusted out pretty much within 10-15 years with the lack of anti corrosion materials used back in the day. I have often wondered if the rust is somewhat area specific in the UK or pretty much all over as here in the USA we see areas using salt on the roads in the winter or areas that get heavy amounts of rain. I got both of my '95s out of southern California and have not seen any rust at all on either car which is a big relief especially after seeing the level of rust on the facelift restorations on KWE.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

The XJS looks hyper aggressive all murdered out.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

LuvmyXJS: I can't remember what went wrong with the original engine, it was years ago. I strongly suspect that I was ripped off by the person doing it as I am sure that the heads would have been worth some money as a resale.
I also can't remember what went wrong with the engine that was put in to replace it or the one after that and then a hole developed in the roof and then I just cried and gave up. Sold it for a pittance. Brilliant fun the 5% of the time that it all worked together though.
I haven't seen a Lister on the roads for years but did see one at a dealers a couple of years ago when I was looking for a cabriolet.
Spookily enough the guy who has just taken my XJR-s away for some remedial work (see my other thread 'Brown Lace' if you want to know about rust!) is actually restoring a Mark III which is a huge job (hence the price for the finished article).
Alders Classics - Lister XJS Widebody version
I was disappointed with the amount of rust on the sub frame of the XJR-s because the rest of it is pretty good; never mind, it is being treated now and hopefully the subframe will be going back in tomorrow and that will be one thing off the elastic list.