XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Upgraded radio now heat not blowing

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 06:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Upgraded radio now heat not blowing

Hey guys 1988 jaguar xjs as you all know theres not much room for a new radio much deeper than the original.....well i put one in and now the blower is not engaging.....before i take on the task of removing the radio. Do you guys have any clue for what i should look for ?

Old 02-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Have you checked the fuses?

If the fuses are OK I'd pull the radio and look for any wires that may have been disturbed

Cheers
DD

Old 02-20-2016, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Have you checked the fuses?

If the fuses are OK I'd pull the radio and look for any wires that may have been disturbed

Cheers
DD
Thanks doug will do, went through all the inside fuses they all look good. Will pull radio tomorrow. When i turn dial to low, med, auto or high (NOTHING) just when things were going good....... 😄

Old 02-20-2016, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Qgregg
Thanks doug will do, went through all the inside fuses they all look good. Will pull radio tomorrow. When i turn dial to low, med, auto or high (NOTHING) just when things were going good....... 😄
Maybe you have dislodged an electrical connection or earth. You can get a pretty good look at what's going on under there by removing the forward console extensions, it's only two screws each side.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by baxtor
Maybe you have dislodged an electrical connection or earth. You can get a pretty good look at what's going on under there byw removing the forward console extensions, it's only two screws each side.

Well checked all fuses, pulled stereo out checked any connections i could get to. when i turn dial to low, med, auto or defrost you can hear a click or like something opens but no blowing.......of air.....

Old 02-21-2016, 11:44 AM

Well checked all fuses, pulled stereo out checked any connections i could get to. when i turn dial to low, med, auto or defrost you can hear a click or like something opens but no blowing.......of air.....
Just remembered i also pulled instrument cluster and changed bulbs is there anything behind the cluster that could be causing the blower not working ???

Old 02-21-2016, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks doug will do, went through all the inside fuses they all look good.

There are four fuse for the system; one is an in-line fuse....behind the RH console extension panel as I recall. Did you find and check all four fuses?

Cheers
DD

Old 02-21-2016, 12:14 PM

There are four fuse for the system; one is an in-line fuse....behind the RH console extension panel as I recall.

Did you find and check all four fuses?
Checked any and all under steering colum, checked any and all under glove box. Not sure if this is the correct inline fuse or not but found on passenger side about where ones left knee would be. Think it was a brown wire.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Default Reply

Not sure why my reply did that

Old 02-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

QUOTE]

Not sure if this is the correct inline fuse or not but found on passenger side about where ones left knee would be. Think it was a brown wire.

That sounds like the one, yes

Cheers
DD

Old 02-21-2016, 12:45 PM

That sounds like the one, yes

Cheers
DD
The inline fuse looks to be ok, did you see where i pulled instrument cluster around same time as stereo, could that be a cause? Everything behind stereo looks in tact.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

The inline fuse looks to be ok, did you see where i pulled instrument cluster around same time as stereo, could that be a cause? Everything behind stereo looks in tact.

OK, here's an idea.....

On one of the inlet pipes to the heater core there's a temp sensor with two wires. Are both wires attached? If not, the blowers cannot operate.

One of them might've become dislodged during the instrument cluster adventure. They sensor is in the same neighborhood, roughly, as the cluster.....

Cheers
DD

Old 02-21-2016, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Just so you have a rough idea of what to look for the switch is #3 in this pic.

Air Conditioning Components - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

It's mounted on a little tab on the pipe going into the heater core

Cheers
DD

Old 02-21-2016, 01:42 PM

Just so you have a rough idea of what to look for the switch is #3 in this pic.

Air Conditioning Components - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

It's mounted on a little tab on the pipe going into the heater core

Cheers
DD
Well i was hoping for the best but , the two wire are connected. the instrument panel is out.......everythings pulled out no air movement and ive got a huge mess.....any other ideas...thanks

Old 02-21-2016, 02:02 PM

[QUOTE=Qgregg;1407637]Well i was hoping for the best but , the two wire are connected. the instrument panel is out.......everythings pulled out no air movement and ive got a huge mess.....any other ideas...thanks[/QUOTE

Just thinking of anything else i could add i remember after i had installed stereo i cut the heat on and it seemed to struggle a little, after that seems as if i worked once or twice afterward. Also hear lately been having to pull battery cable everytime time im not driving because of battery drain, but that never interfered with blower not working after battery cable hooked back up to drive.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

[QUOTE=Qgregg;1407651]
Well i was hoping for the best but , the two wire are connected. the instrument panel is out.......everythings pulled out no air movement and ive got a huge mess.....any other ideas...thanks[/QUOTE

Just thinking of anything else i could add i remember after i had installed stereo i cut the heat on and it seemed to struggle a little, after that seems as if i worked once or twice afterward. Also hear lately been having to pull battery cable everytime time im not driving because of battery drain, but that never interfered with blower not working after battery cable hooked back up to drive.
For what it's worth l would check the unit is powering up. Ignition on, DMM positive probe to pin #1 (very top) neg. Probe to good ground, be very careful around pin #1.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=baxtor;1407703]

For what it's worth l would check the unit is powering up. Ignition on, DMM positive probe to pin #1 (very top) neg. Probe to good ground, be very careful around pin #1.
ill have to get my hands on a multi meter this week if possible and check pin one, an i correct that the test pins are on the passenger side up around where the inline fuse is except higher up small white rectangle with lots of tiny pins

Old 02-21-2016, 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=Qgregg;1407720]
Originally Posted by baxtor

ill have to get my hands on a multi meter this week if possible and check pin one, an i correct that the test pins are on the passenger side up around where the inline fuse is except higher up small white rectangle with lots of tiny pins
Will i not have to remove glove box for this ? Because if i am looking at this correctly the strip of pins go up pretty high and i guess pin one is at the top?

Old 02-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Qgregg;1407651]
Also hear lately been having to pull battery cable everytime time im not driving because of battery drain, but that never interfered with blower not working after battery cable hooked back up to drive.
Stretching a bit for a cause and cure, but.....

It's somewhat common for the blower circuit to malfunction and stay hot even after the key is turned 'off' causing a heavy battery drain. Of course, in this most typical of failure modes, you'd hear the blower motor/motors continue to hum. This is due to degradation of the diodes/relay/circuit board in one or both blowers.

http://www.jag-lovers.net/xj-s/book/acblower.htm

Cheers
DD

Old 02-21-2016, 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=Doug;1407766]

Stretching a bit for a cause and cure, but.....

It's somewhat common for the blower circuit to malfunction and stay hot even after the key is turned 'off' causing a heavy battery drain. Of course, in this most typical of failure modes, you'd hear the blower motor/motors continue to hum. This is due to degradation of the diodes/relay/circuit board in one or both blowers.

Air conditioning blower control

Cheers
DD
Wow what a job.....i did pull the glove box and tested pin one to ground and have power. This week ill run through all the test. And write down the results....Bad news for a split second pins 44 and 45 touched via probe end i can only pray no damage was done

Last edited by Qgregg; 02-21-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Wrong word

Quick Reply: Upgraded radio now heat not blowing