XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

upper vents cold, floor and back blowing hot....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upper vents cold, floor and back blowing hot....

95 XJS went in for new radio. Left shop and now the ac blows cold out of the dash but blows HOT out of feet vents and console rear vent. System was running fine when pulled into the shop. I figure some wire or hose or whatnot got pulled off, disconnected..who knows.

Any ideas of what to look for? I want to take it back to their shop but if it is an easy "The hose above the radio is disconnected" Then I can save the time. Or any advice I could give the installer to repair this might help. Like where, or what, to look for. Really hoping he didn't break anything. 100 degrees and no a/c is not an option....

Thanks in advance

WR

Old 07-18-2015, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

I would suspect one or more vacuum lines have been dislodged. Not sure where on a 95' but earlier lines are accessible by removing the footwell vent trim panel.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

WR,

The centre dash vents do not blow hot air on your model. If you read your drivers manual, you may find that the system is working as intended.

Good luck

Paul

Old 07-18-2015, 06:35 AM

Paul,

When my A/C is turned on it now blows cold air out the front vents and hot air out of the feet and rear vent....at the same time.

They are fighting each other and the heat is winning. lol

The rear console vent use to, before install, blow so cold I set my drink in front of it to keep it cool.

Sorry if I was not clear in my description.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

WR,

Can you give us a bit more info? When it is doing as you describe, what have you got the main temp dial set to, and what have you got the centre dash differential temp set to? (Remember that centre dash control is not a temp setting, but just a slight differential).

As mentioned, check the handbook. The rear vents will deliver air as per the footwell vents.

If you set the main temp control on cold (and A/C on) what does it do then? Does it blow cold in footwell and at rear?

Once running cold, if you then turn the temp right up to hot (and put the centre differential temp at hot) does the dash centre vent suddenly warm up a bit before levelling off at ambient?

Paul

Old 07-18-2015, 07:46 AM

Main temp set to 65c. A/C on and red light too. Top slider to cold. When I move either to hot the temp at dash vents gets warmer. Move it back and gets cooler.

When I turn the fan full clockwise to defrost my main vents now blow hot air while they use to shut off prior.

I have had the car for 4 years. Everything was fine until the moment they put the new radio in.

Driving around with cold air in the face and hot air blowing on feet is crazy.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

When you say "dash vents", do you mean just the centre vents? What are the dash end vents doing? They operate quite differently to the centre vents and will always blow as per selected temp unless closed manually.

When you say "main vents" do you mean "footwell vents only"? Do the rear vents close when you turn fan speed to Defrost?

If I understand your description of the symptoms, it sounds like you've got three problems:

- If temp is set to Cold on main temp control (65 in US cars?), if your footwell vents blow hot then you've got a temp control problem.

- If the dash centre vents blow hot for more than a minute, when you select a Hot temp on main temp control, then you've got a dash centre vent flap control problem. The dash centre vents should never continuously blow hot air.

- If the front footwell vents and rear vents blow Hot when you select Demist, then you've got a footwell vent flap control problem.

If you put the system in Defrost and Cold, do you get cold air to the windscreen vents? If not, it could be that the radio fitters have damaged the connectors on the Main Temp control whilst they had it out.

If the footwell vents aren't shutting when Defrost is selected, it could be that the radio fitters have damaged the connector on the fan speed control and it isn't really moving to Defrost. Are the other fan speeds working as expected? (Make sure that you have selected the "Manual" button to ensure that it overrides the automatic temperature and fan speed control.)

Paul

Old 07-18-2015, 10:20 AM

Problem Solved.

Took back to audio shop and waited for them to just open. They got it working correctly. Installer said "There is 3 small wires connected to the temp switch and one of them had came loose"

Now it blows cold from main vents(all 4 on upper dash, rear console vent and lower foot vents too. As it always had before.

Thank you two immensely for your assistance.

Last edited by Windrider; 07-18-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

WR,

Really pleased that you got it sorted! It just goes to show how one small problem can disrupt these complex beasts. And how sophisticated are our Jaguars. I well remember my old Triumph Vitesse where the only hot or cold distribution I could get was reminiscent of an asthmatic old man hiding behind the dash and coughing gently when I turned on what purported to be a fan!

Paul