XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

V12 Problems

Old 02-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The posters on this thread have left me flabbergasted! Thanks for yoru knowledge and for your willingness to share it!

I think you've given me the incentive and a starting point for returning to a problem with a 1991 XJS that I have attempted to address several times since I bought the car in December, 1998.

It has been in inside storage since that time, and a few people have attempted, unsuccessfully, to solve the problems for me.

I believe I now have gotten the incentive to solve my problem and get my Jag back on the road. After doing some more research on these pages, I will return and tell you more about my problem.

I'm sure that I have found the people who can give me some direction and help me solve a long standing problem. Thanks for all that you have taught me in just one short evening!

Old 02-15-2015, 01:24 AM
Received 10,285 Likes on 6,806 Posts

Originally Posted by GaJag
The posters on this thread have left me flabbergasted! Thanks for yoru knowledge and for your willingness to share it!

I think you've given me the incentive and a starting point for returning to a problem with a 1991 XJS that I have attempted to address several times since I bought the car in December, 1998.

It has been in inside storage since that time, and a few people have attempted, unsuccessfully, to solve the problems for me.

I believe I now have gotten the incentive to solve my problem and get my Jag back on the road. After doing some more research on these pages, I will return and tell you more about my problem.

I'm sure that I have found the people who can give me some direction and help me solve a long standing problem. Thanks for all that you have taught me in just one short evening!
We try, or are trying, depending on teh angle af the dangle I suppose.

When you do get the urge I suggest starting a NEW thread, as this one is 4 years old at re-activation, and your questions just might get missed.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by stevereno
and BTW the line from engine compartment to trunk is clogged ! good catch

Have you unclogged it? This is 100% surely a major part of the problem!

Greg

Old 02-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks Grant and Greg. No, I haven't unclogged it yet. In the past I've had others working on it. At this point, I intend to attempt to handle it. I assume you're referring to the gas lines. I will begin with that, including the filter.

About three years ago, the last mechanic had it running. He let it run for about thirty minutes, and apparently it got the catalytic converter too hot. It burned some grass where it was parked while letting it run. According to the mechanic, he then changed a sensor underneath that was burned.

He got it running, but not good. That's where I am now. I'm ready to attempt the repair on my own. Obviously, I have too many projects or I would have been driving it long since! Thanks for your help! As suggested, I will start a new thread soon and see if I can contact these terrific People who're so willing to give a helping hand. Cheers to all.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by GaJag
Thanks Grant and Greg. No, I haven't unclogged it yet. In the past I've had others working on it. At this point, I intend to attempt to handle it. I assume you're referring to the gas lines. I will begin with that, including the filter.

NO I was referring to the Op's problem with the ECU vac line

About three years ago, the last mechanic had it running. He let it run for about thirty minutes, and apparently it got the catalytic converter too hot. It burned some grass where it was parked while letting it run. According to the mechanic, he then changed a sensor underneath that was burned.

If you have a Marelli ignition car (good plan to put the model on your signature line) this is THE classic sign of an ignition failure on one bank. the spark is not there, the fuel still get injected, and it burns in the cat and melts everything. Down load Kirbert Palm's book from Jaglovers and read up about it. This is a MUST DO thing. Also, a search on this site about Marelli failure will turn up loads.

Greg

Old 02-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Default Will do!

Thanks Greg! I'm beginning the search which you suggested. I really appreciate it. The weather here in Georgia has been setting some record lows recently, so I've not been able to do anything on the XJS.

I apologize for not responding to your reply earlier. My next step is downloading the book by Kirbert Palm and doing a search on the marelli issue as you suggested. Mine does have the marelli ignition. Thanks for all of the guidance and support. It's extremely generous and a real goldmine!

Old 02-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Received 6,241 Likes on 5,442 Posts

GaJag I've copied your posts and the responses from the other thread to avoid confusion.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

The Marelli meltdown doesn't occur if it isn't hot. If one side isn't firing at all, and the car does happen to start, it will just load the exhaust up with fuel, but I doubt seriously it would superheat the cat, because there is no heat. On the other hand, if the cat is stopped up, and the car is firing, the the cat will glow trying to burn the exhaust that can't get out.