XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Waking up my Jag

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Waking up my Jag

I've already had a thread or two, received some advice, some help and found some parts, now I figured I should start a thread because I seem to be running into some expected and some unexpected issues.

the background is that I have always wanted an XJS, I've had and have MGs, but wanted a big cat. I've also owned and worked on other European cars so with my experience I figured I had it made. While casually browsing Craigslist I found a pair of almost-barn find Jags. I call them almost-barn finds because they were next to a barn, not it it. I ended up with one of them on a flatbed coming home with me.

I started on the "so you have an HE" steps and replaced the old fuel pump. I then discovered that the car would start but immediately die, like it was running out of gas. Back to the document. I then discovered that I only had fuel pressure when it was starting, as soon as the key went to "run" it would sputter and die out. After trying everything that I could think of I came here. After a few tries we discovered that jumpering the fuel pump relay would let the car run. This led to a replacement ECU. Now the engine runs and sounds great.

The nexe issue. Now that the engine runs for more than 3 seconds I have found something that I have never seen before. There is raw fuel dripping from a junction on the left side exhaust! In addition to the dripping fuel there is white smoke puring from the left side exhaust, so bad that I couldn't see my other car 5 feet behind the Jag. My only thought is an injector that is stuck open. I can't find any sign of a leak outside of the engine.

So that's the story this far. I'll update as I fix things and as I find new issues to resolve. I'll post some pictures too.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by bran3b
. My only thought is an injector that is stuck open. I can't find any sign of a leak outside of the engine.
A very plausible explanation.

The injector harness is known for problems. The insulation cracks, the wires ground out, and cause one or more injectors to stay open.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-04-2018, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

Does the car shake or make any concerning noises while doing this white smoke thing? also that is a massive fire hazard if you've got fuel dumping into the exhaust. Fire extinguishers should be mandatory for cars with CATs still fitted.

It is fairly easy to remove the injectors and inspect the ends to see if one is jammed open, or otherwise physically compromised. They could probably use a few rounds of Techron concentrate (walmart) it's the strongest fuel sys cleaner that isn't special order. I had a link saved on how to electrify and test them individually to but I can't seem to find it atm.

The following users liked this post:
Rick25 (03-06-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 06:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The car doesn’t shake that I have noticed. I will be checking the harness for any bare wires or suspected grounding issues. I will probably also pull the injectors to clean them anyway.

Point taken on the extinguisher. I keep one in the garage and will have one in the Jag to be safe. I am not running the car other than to check this issue, it is now my top priority on the car.

Thank you.