XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Water pump bolt locations - I'm an idiot :-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump bolt locations - I'm an idiot :-)

I believe I introduced myself at signup as an '87 XJS V12 coupe owner. The car has 50k miles and sat for 10 years prior to me purchasing last year.

Please don't haze me here (even though I deserve it) but I decided to take on replacing the water pump (bearing turned out to be smoked). My plan was to do it all in one day so I would remember the bolt locations, etc. but life got in the way. I'm back at it today...a few months later...and forgot where some of the bolts go. I have the following correctly installed when looking from the front of the engine:

2 fan housing studs (C8137)
1 pozidrive screw (SF505101J)
1 pivot stud (C36196)

I guessed at most of the 7 water pump plate bolts (BH505111J) but could use a sanity check here too.

So...I'm left with two long bolts, one long bolt a bit shorter than the two long bolts, a medium size bolt (maybe 1/2 the length of the long bolts) and then 7 short plate bolts.

My other question is that my new pump replacement does not have the recess so the pozidrive screw mounts flush. Instead I have a bolt hole that is the same as the other holes. Should I replace the pozidrive screw with a BH505111 bolt or just screw the pozidrive screw in as far as it goes?

I did read the repair manual but it's not specific on bolt location and the parts catalog is pretty vague...

Can someone please kindly send details on where all the remaining bolts go...a picture of the bolt location where someone was smarter than me and taped the bolts to a cardboard drawing or something would be awesome.

Also, a quick answer on the pozidrive screw question above would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a ton in advance for the help!!!

Attached Thumbnails Water pump bolt locations - I'm an idiot :-)-jaguar-xjs-water-pump-diagram.png  
Old 01-02-2017, 02:27 PM

should have made this easier...

2 fan housing studs (C8137) are #15 on the diagram
1 pozidrive screw (SF505101J) is #10 on the diagram
1 pivot stud (C36196) is #14 on the diagram

Old 01-02-2017, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Just so you know your post isn't being ignored.....

I can't help; my memory isn't good enough, sorry

Cheers
DD

Old 01-03-2017, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

I cannot understand your post, could you post a photo or a marked up diagram of the bolts you CAN and CANNOT find the right place for?
Greg

Old 01-03-2017, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
I cannot understand your post, could you post a photo or a marked up diagram of the bolts you CAN and CANNOT find the right place for?
Greg
I have installed these bolts so far from the diagram I posted in my 2nd post. Sorry for the confusion.

2 fan housing studs (C8137) are #15 on the diagram
1 pozidrive screw (SF505101J) is #10 on the diagram
1 pivot stud (C36196) is #14 on the diagram

Old 01-03-2017, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Just been though this...

Aight... you should have a couple of long screws, a couple not as long and then some short ones.

Around the pump impellor should be only short screws, except for on on the top of the water spout. That one is a middle length.

The long ones go on the opposite side of the studs.

At least as far as I can remember. You can do it via Trias and error. Screw in, if too short wrong. If too long wrong.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Whew, if that is idiocy, then a word that fits what I did doesn't exist. Even a superlative falls short.

When "lumping" my car, I decided to install a new "distributor". An odd device found only on the last generation of the iron SBC's. A great idea, but with flaws. Known as
the Optilite. Ugh, remove the crank dampener. That went well, my puller supply had one to fit. Next the water pump. here came the "#%$&*%##%". Missed a bolt some how, but the thing was quite loose. Pried at it. It came free OK. But, alas it busted a drive for the water pump to the gear drive off the cam shaft. Replacing it a "monster" task.

Thought I might be done for. Then some kid soul saved me. A Mezzierre electric water pump. Elegant, but $'s solution.

To the point(s).

1. Why a Pozi??? Would not a hex head do just fine ? An access issue maybe?

2. Use a short rod or screw driver to "plumb" the holes for depth. Logic. Short bolts in shallow holes. Long bolts in deep holes. As long as the holes have bottoms, there should be no risk of jamming internal stuff.

Naah, you are far from idiocy, merely, a bump in the road. Me, oh yeah and more

Carl

Old 01-03-2017, 12:32 PM

Probe idea is smart and something I'll try. When I removed the old pump I did not realize there was that bottom Posidriv screw...luckily I figured it out not too far after banging on the pump with a rubber mallot. 😳