XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Wet feet!!

Old 08-19-2015, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet feet!!

Assuming its a seal or a rubber somewhere, but wondering if anybody else has had this happen....Every time it rains or the car is washed, water dribbles in, enough to get the carpets reasonably soaked, and seemingly inside the glove box as well. I'm concerned because now the air conditioning, which is working fine, spits out any residual water that didn't drip out, through the foot vents.
Suggestions or fixes? Common?

Thanks!
86 XJS HE 12

Old 08-19-2015, 11:17 PM
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I had similar and it was the seal around the windscreen. I took the chrome trim off and injected windscreen sealer under seal by cutting the tip at an angle and using a plastic sptaula as a guide to slightly ift the seal and then squeezing the sealer in underneath. I went around the outside of the seal (join between seal and body) and the inside (join between windscreen and seal), also check that the drain channels are free and not plugged up if your car is a coupe need will check one set of channels by taking the chrome off anyways. Kirbys book is a very good guide.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

jvickers,

If you're very, very lucky, it might be the windscreen seal. But sadly, it's far more likely to be corrosion in the windscreen frame which, if left unchecked, can move to the plenum chamber, deck panel and even inner wing.

Carefully remove the windscreen chromes and check. But be prepared!

Good luck

Paul

Old 08-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,904 Likes on 1,660 Posts

It could be the drain tubes from the wiper motor recess that are blocked.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:05 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

Worst case under the screen side trim, I have seen mainly on facelifts but its a jag thing

Attached Thumbnails Wet feet!!-485.jpg  
Old 09-13-2015, 02:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 96 XJS the air conditioner would send a stream of water onto your feet when it was running once in a while. I don't remember where I found it on this forum but there is a drain port under the car for the AC system - and apparently it gets clogged with bits and pieces over time. My garage easily found it and blew some compressed air up the drain from below and cleared it out. I'd bet money it was that.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

I am having the same issue and think it is getting on my fuse box. I get a lot of blown fuses when it rains. I will check the aforementioned things here.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the tube running from the resovoir under the wipers clogged. It runs along the inside right fender wall in engine compartment and is easily disconnected to flush.

Last edited by tvholden; 09-13-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default unclog ac drains

Here's a comprehensive article about the drains for the ac system - Air Conditioner/Heater

About 1/3 of the page down - under "Condensate Drains" - please note that they suggest using a stiff wire to unplug the drains. My garage scoffed at that and blew them out with compressed air - much safer and less likely you will poke a hole in something else.... Here's the section:

>>>
CONDENSATE DRAINS: All air conditioning systems must have a condensate drain to drain the water that condenses when the air is cooled. The XJ-S has two -- small plastic tubes protruding downward and ending well above the exhaust system on either side of the transmission. When working properly, these tubes will be dripping water on the exhaust pipes during muggy weather. However, when the lines plug up, the water fills up inside the A/C system, causing wet spots on the carpet, reduced airflow, etc. It will sometimes dump water on the driver's or passenger's feet when cornering. It also appears to be the culprit in a strong tendency to fog up the windshield immediately upon starting the car after it was recently shut off.

From under the car, run a piece of stiff wire up through each of the tubes until it goes all the way into the A/C unit. Compressed air might also work. Since Jaguar made these tubes entirely too small (they are twice this diameter on most cars) they get plugged easily and need to be opened up regularly.

If your drains are plugged beyond this simple repair, Hunt Dabney provides a description of more serious work: "Remove the side panels from either side of the transmission tunnel (the ones that have the vents in them). On the left side, if you look at the front-most ëcorner', all the way to the left when viewed from the side, you should see a rubber reducing nipple attached to the lower portion of the compartment containing the A/C coils. This has a piece of 3/8" poly tubing protruding from the bottom, down and through a grommet which passes through the top of the transmission tunnel. This one is easy to get to and remove. To replace, use new hose clamps, and possibly silicone seal if the grommet has problems (or a new grommet).

"Above this point is a duct, about 4" in diameter and which extends under the dash from the heater a/c unit to the left side dash vents. By rotating the end a bit ccw, it may be withdrawn from the heater box. This will allow you to look in the box and inspect for dust and debris. Clean out through here if you can.

"The right side is very similar, but the A/C servo linkages may get in the way and require removal. In fact, it may be necessary to remove the servo unit. Getting in through the duct, as previously described, is workable, but you have to remove the glove box."

According to Larry Lee, the drains may be getting plugged with bits of the foam insulation used in the system; being British non-metallic material, it rots and falls into the drains. The insulation itself is not worth replacing unless you're doing other major work, because it requires tearing the dash and A/C system apart.

Note that Technical Service Bulletin #8218 describes a problem with the condensate drains after the airbags were introduced in 1989 and up to VIN 165565. Apparently a revision of the A/C system was necessary, and as a result excess sealant on the drain separator plate may plug the drains. After VIN 165565, the sealing was omitted. Later, after VIN 168340, an additional hole was provided in the separator plate.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (07-05-2023)