XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What can you tell me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can you tell me?

Hey guys, Jag newb here. I ran across this car that is supposed to be a "rare imported euro version". Can anybody tell me anything about it?

1987 XJSC V12 Jaguar. It is a convertible with a hard top, t-top, plus a soft top.

It was made 8/1986
The Vin # is SAJNV3847HC134533
The Original paint was Gold (AFV)
The trim option on the car was originally AFR.

What do you think?

Old 10-11-2012, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Welcome to the Forum
Please take time to post an intro here
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
so we can say 'Hello'

Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Welcome to our side as Steve already said, do the intro, keeps the system happy haha.

Sounds like you have an XJ-S Cabriolet. Well thats what we call them down here.

Reasonable rare in anyone's language, not many down here. The "hardtop" to replace the soft rear soft section of the roof was very rare, and near impossible to find now. The 2 roof top panels forming the "Targa" style are also hard to find.

A nice car just the same.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey, just a heads up that this forum is for the XJ6 and XJ12 which are 4 door sedans (that happen to be the basis for your XJS). There is a seperate forum specifically for the XJS where you would be able to get more specific information as needed.

Not running you off of here, as I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of the guys and gals on this forum like, and have knowledge of, XJSs, but thought the other forum could be more helpful.

Eric

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Grant/Eric - just goes to show if the OP had done his intro we'd have put him straight on the right section!
Grant - I've been meaning to ask for ages - who is that disturbingly charming YL that is your avatar?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:10 PM

Sorry to have started off on the wrong foot. I have lurked and participated in several forums and have never seen a mandatory introduction before. I'm not saying that's bad, Just different.

I have now rectified my misstep and written my introduction. Can I now be informed as to which section is appropriate for this vehicle?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

The XJS section. That's the first stop for the people that are really interested in the XJS cars, so they're most likely to be able to help you.

Neat concept though - I've never heard of an XJSC cabriolet until this thread.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

theres one in my town for sale. they cant give it away.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by M90power
theres one in my town for sale. they cant give it away.
Give us a lead on it pls?

Old 10-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

There was a strong demand for a drophead XJS. Originally the XJS had been engineered on the basis that the USA crash laws would prevent dropheads being sold. When that turned out to not be true, Jaguar had insufficient resources to develop a full drophead. Therefore the XJS Cabriolet (XJSC) model was developed. This H&E convertible sold in the USA about the same time was a 'stop-gap' made available for similar demand-led reasons. The XJSC required a cross brace hoop over the cabin to effectively replace the roof structure, a 'perimeter frame' round the cockpit, a slightly reinforced rear bulhead, and a bracing frame across the bodyshell under the rear suspension, and no other changes. Apparently this meant that no separate crash tests were needed. The doors were identical to the Coupé, as was everything else, except that the rear seats were deleted and replaced by a luggage shelf and lockers. Many owners subsequently fitted seats in their place. Unbelievably this meant the XJSC was MORE torsionally stiff than the coupé, and MORE than the first Coupé models of the XK8.

It was first launched in the UK in 1983 with the AJ6 engine and a 5 speed manual was available with that engine, and later in 1985 the XJSC was available with the V12. Eventually Jaguar built a full droptop in 1988 and the XJSC was discontinued. A total of 1130 6 cylinder cars were made of which 1027 had manual boxes. A total of 3862 V12 cars were made, all automatics.

Now confession time: I only know this because there is a major article about this car in the JEC mag this month!

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 10-12-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Welcome to the club and congratulations on a rare purchase.
Contact Bleasie at the International Cabriolet Register and he will be able to provide you with loads of information; <mail@jag92hot.ning.com>
Here's a picture of mine (I hope, not having much luck attaching pictures at the moment).

Attached Thumbnails What can you tell me?-web-page.jpg  
Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Grant - I've been meaning to ask for ages - who is that disturbingly charming YL that is your avatar?
Steve, a friend of the daughters from many years ago. Always creates a stir when I use it. Some forums have banned it/me, so be it, toooooo old to care now.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 PM

Greg in France, I appreciate the info. That is what I was looking for.

A quick trip on Google and Ebay along with your input have convinced me, right this minute anyway, that this car is not rare or valuable enough to warrant the attention it needs. I have the skills to fix anything and I am not scared of a complete restoration but in this case it just doesn't pencil out. Apparently it spent many years in Florida and from the looks of it, was stored outside with the top down during a hurricane. The body is severely rusted, the leather is rotted, the wood is sunfadded and peeling. The Targa/Cabrio top is in good shape and the engine and drive-train appear to be solid. The current owner had it shipped cross country and is buried $4,000 under this sad thing. I don't think I can help her though. I think her best bet is to part out the rare bits and junk the rest.

Thanks again for the info. I think I have found a new place to lurk. You've got some interesting vehicles and people here.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by shortbaldguy
Greg in France, I appreciate the info. That is what I was looking for. I don't think I can help her though. I think her best bet is to part out the rare bits and junk the rest.
VERY wise decision! If you would like an XJS, there are lots out there that are pretty good, and even they will give you enough trouble!. A totally rubbish one is just not worth it, from any point of view.

Greg