XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts
Default What's it worth?

So with my '84 in the garage for months, I'm getting xj-s withdrawls.. The further I dig into the electrical system, the more fried components I find. In the interim, I'm thinking about picking up yet another xj-s

Then I come across this:
Jaguar : XJS Green in Jaguar | eBay Motors

Are convertibles that much more valuable than coupes? I've had 4 coupes but never a convertible. I got my last coupe for $2000...

Of course I know all the things to check if I go and look at it to buy it.

But THEN I came across THIS:
Jaguar : XJS Base Coupe 2-Door in Jaguar | eBay Motors

I love the blue color and it's a little cheaper..

Anyone want to chime in on which one they feel is a better value? Of course I'd have to factor in travel expenses because the first one is a day trip out and back and the blue one is in Indiana so honestly it's probably not practical at all. But when is an xj-s practical? :-)

Lou

Last edited by EcbJag; 11-01-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

how do you plan on getting either one home. i had one heck of a time getting a good condition XJS back home. it left me stranded a few times.

convertables arent even remotely worth the money IMO. hardtops dont hold value as well, which is whats so great about them. they can be had for little, or in some cases nothing.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Historically, converts are usually worth more than a comparable hardtop of the same condition. The XJS ragtop was considered by many better looking because of the elimination of the "flying buttress" which was not very popular with the general public.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by EcbJag
So with my '84 in the garage for months, I'm getting xj-s withdrawls.. The further I dig into the electrical system, the more fried components I find. In the interim, I'm thinking about picking up yet another xj-s

Then I come across this:
Jaguar : XJS Green in Jaguar | eBay Motors

Are convertibles that much more valuable than coupes? I've had 4 coupes but never a convertible. I got my last coupe for $2000...

Looks like a nice Jag.

Convertibles almost always command higher prices than their fixed-roof brothers and that's fairly consistant in the old car hobby, be it a '57 Chevy, a 1990 Jag, a Ford Galaxie, or whatever.

I am not a convertible fan so I don't see the justification, personally. But that's just me :-)

But THEN I came across THIS:
Jaguar : XJS Base Coupe 2-Door in Jaguar | eBay Motors

I love the blue color and it's a little cheaper..

Anyone want to chime in on which one they feel is a better value?

Off the cuff I'd say the blue coupe appears to be a rung below the green convertible in overall condition.

"Better value" depends on so many things.

Just remember: if you want a Jag to really be proud of, buying one that does NOT need new paint and leather will save you thousands of dollars :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6
Historically, converts are usually worth more than a comparable hardtop of the same condition. The XJS ragtop was considered by many better looking because of the elimination of the "flying buttress" which was not very popular with the general public.

Quite right about those oddball flying buttresses although, personally, I think the convertibles look good with the top up and horrible with it down.

The "top stack" is so tall and unsightly that it negates any improvement. Just my 2 cents, of course, but IMHO it stands out like a sore thumb

Cheers
DD

Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Sadly I have to agree. I like the looks of my ragtop, except for that large, bulky folded down top. I've been looking at it and wondering if there was a way to make it flatter!
I've even toyed with the idea of making a removable hardtop.

Last edited by JameyXJ6; 11-02-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6
Sadly I have to agree. I like the looks of my ragtop, except for that large, bulky folded down top. I've been looking at it and wondering if there was a way to make it flatter!
I've even toyed with the idea of making a removable hardtop.

"Me too" on the removable hardtop.

I think the XJS looks great as a "notchback coupe" type of thing. Jaguar itself essentially had just that in the "Cabriolet" version which came before the "Convertible".

The H&E convertibles had a much less bulky top stack, as you probably know.

Cheers
DD