XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS convertible - fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJS convertible - fuel pump replacement

To my fellow XJS mechanics,

I am in a knock down, drag out repair session with my XJS convertible. I have determined my fuel pump to be bad, only after verifying my fuel filter, fuel pump relay and associated fuses are all good and I have no fuel pressure at the injector rail.

I have a decent record as a driveway mechanic and I started work long ago as a electronic bench tech with a sold understanding of trouble shooting equipment. I do not have a book or drawings for this model vehicle, yet, but I started the work anyhow.

I have dismantled the trunk covers and brackets and have become stumped at the removal of the filler cap neck assembly from the exterior quarter panel. I have removed the four exterior screws affixing the metal filler spout to the body and I have removed the two hose clamps that hold the rubber vapor cover. I have also removed the rubber overflow hose that connects the filler flip cap to the gas tank.

But I cannot seem to separate the filler cap and neck assembly from he gas tank spout. I have muscled and pounded as much as any ordinary mechanical separation would require, but to no avail. Is there a trick or procedure that that I am missing? I suspect there is a rubber donut type seal that is between the filler neck and tank spout that must have hardened over time and is not wanting to separate, or ther must be a solid mechanical reason for the two assemblies not separating.

Also, there is a single fuel line that begins at the fuel pump and travels the bottom left (drivers side) of tank and exits the trunk through a grommet. Is there any other fuel lines connected to the gas tank that are not visible and that I need to disconnect before the tank can be removed or positioned so that the fuel pump assembly can be removed from the tank? If so, where are they and what location, effort, tools and procedures are required to remove them and reconnect them?

Also, if you have any knowledge of the procedures, tools, or tricks that would help me complete this task, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,088 Likes on 5,352 Posts

This method works on a coupe, and maybe will on a convertible: Once you are sure all is undone (and on some models there is a little bolted anti-turn gizmo on the inside part of the metal filler spout); buy an oil filter strap wrench, eg:
ATD Tools 5375 Strap Oil Filter Wrench 663126053758 | eBay
wrap it round the filler spout, and using a ratchet with a short extension, turn.
Greg