XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS GT exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts
Default XJS GT exhaust

had a coil failure on bank B
got her home and cooled CAT/CATS on bank B w super soaker...

replaced cap rotor ...no help
replaced coil runs better than the day I bought her...bank B does not miss now and she runs smooth
PROBLEM
seems as if bank b is not flowing as strong as bank A

I was wondering if any one has put the driven man XJS GT exhaust on their car and if so how do you feel about it....
XJS GT Stainless Steel Sport Exhaust System

Old 07-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Their exhaust has always seemed really expensive to me. Actually most of their products have.

Have you considered one of the cats partially collapsing? Maybe measure temps at all the cats and compare?

The following 3 users liked this post by sidescrollin:
Greg in France (07-20-2016), Jonathan-W (07-20-2016), ronbros (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Their exhaust has always seemed really expensive to me. Actually most of their products have.

Have you considered one of the cats partially collapsing? Maybe measure temps at all the cats and compare?

then what?

Old 07-20-2016, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
then what?
Determine if your uneven pressure is from a collapsed cat based on out of spec temp, remove the down-pipe and replace suspect cat. If you are considering that driven man exhaust, talk to a few local shops because they can probably make the same system for half the cost (definitely stick to the x-pipe for sound).

Btw if you DO buy an entire new exhaust system, please consider selling me your old mufflers

Last edited by sidescrollin; 07-20-2016 at 03:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sidescrollin:
Greg in France (07-21-2016), ronbros (07-20-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Determine if your uneven pressure is from a collapsed cat based on out of spec temp, remove the down-pipe and replace suspect cat. If you are considering that driven man exhaust, talk to a few local shops because they can probably make the same system for half the cost (definitely stick to the x-pipe for sound).

Btw if you DO buy an entire new exhaust system, please consider selling me your old mufflers
ok
should I go to a muffler shop and ask them about cat replacement?
oh, this tank of gas has 194 miles on it... and the fuel warning light has not come on yet... computer states 18.6 gal burnt...
I have never gone that far on a tank of gas in the city... NEVER!
replacing the coil is something I guess I wish I did earlier now...
was getting 150-160 a tank

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 07-21-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

ok
should I go to a muffler shop and ask them about cat replacement?
oh, this tank of gas has 194 miles on it... and the fuel warning light has not come on yet... computer states 18.6 gal burnt...
I have never gone that far on a tank of gas in the city... NEVER!
replacing the coil is something I guess I wish I did earlier now...
was getting 150-160 a tank
yeah man that is pretty crap. Speeds here are low so I only manage about 11 mpg. Still though, the gas light comes on at like 20 gallons down or so, right? So you should be getting 200+. On the highway or a town that has a lot of 55 mph speed limits it would be more like 350+

Yeah I guess if you don't have an IR thermometer to test with, or do you just mean to replace the cat? Cutting it off and welding in a new one should be a pretty easy job for a shop, if that is your issue. If your ignition wasn't good you were sending extra fuel to both of those cats and could have killed off either one.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

yeah man that is pretty crap. Speeds here are low so I only manage about 11 mpg. Still though, the gas light comes on at like 20 gallons down or so, right? So you should be getting 200+. On the highway or a town that has a lot of 55 mph speed limits it would be more like 350+

Yeah I guess if you don't have an IR thermometer to test with, or do you just mean to replace the cat? Cutting it off and welding in a new one should be a pretty easy job for a shop, if that is your issue. If your ignition wasn't good you were sending extra fuel to both of those cats and could have killed off either one.
low speeds and short drive to work... not conducive to warm up or good MPG
at lunch I made tail-tells and put them on both pipes...
man the right one is good, the left one (bank B) is LAME....
I am going to check the bank B coil when I leave work...

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 07-21-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

yeah I didn't think that you mentioned it was 18.6 gallons, I was thinking 20-22. So that is right around 10.5 mpg, pretty normal.

Not a clue what a tail-tell is, couldn't find anything on google lol.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

(definitely stick to the x-pipe for sound).
Just a thought.
A lot of diagnosis can be determined from exhaust flow as mentioned even in this post itself, that goes out the door as soon as you combine the banks.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Say what you want, it sounds great. The entire reason they put a cross-pipe on the E-type was for sound.

You could always go overboard and put a cut-out in it, purely for diagnostic purposes.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

so I can't spell....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tell-tale
I took a receipt folded it long ways cut along the long fold (to have two equal pieces )
folded those in half the half again and again to get a little weight on the end on both.
taped those to hang down in front of the exhaust pipes....

started engine bank A Flap nicely horizontal/. Bank B lamely flaps seems as if I have more power than I have ever had and do not hear missing like before... but bank B does not seem to be up to snuff in comparison to bank A

So other than that person that had trouble on Track day with his x305 powered XJS with the TCI 6speed controller plugged into his 4 speed 4L80E no one has bought a driven man XJS GT exhaust....? hmm.... sure would have like to have details on the TCI plug in to the 4L80E too... do we just need the controller or do you have to go with the whole shebang from TCI... if just the controller then I see a effective upgrade for all the newer XJS's 6 and 12 clynder

oh I ran it out of fuel on the way home so I have to clear computer codes now... FF12 and FF13 my i document starts at FF13 so I do not have FF12 I am guessing it is fuel pressure... since there was no fuel...

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 07-22-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

hmm.... sure would have like to have details on the TCI plug in to the 4L80E too... do we just need the controller or do you have to go with the whole shebang from TCI... if just the controller then I see a effective upgrade for all the newer XJS's 6 and 12 clynder
I am running 4L80E in my '89 and using the TCI ezy tcu. My understanding is that the six speed involves a major gearbox modification (valve body change...l think) and utilises the overdrive function to split the other gears. I also believe there were problems with that O'drive gear assy. failing given the extra load in lower gears.
As far as control for 4 gears l cannot fault it, has sport mode built in and manual/ paddle function availability.

Last edited by baxtor; 07-22-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:20 AM
Received 490 Likes on 261 Posts

My 89 had a a failed ignition bank (passenger), leading to a cat fire before I owned it and I didn't realize it.

I discovered the problem after I had the car running and the exhaust from passenger tail pipe felt "cool" versus the driver's was hot.

When I removed my exhaust I discovered the passenger cats were melted. How did I discover? By washing the exhaust out and realizing that the water I sprayed into the cat was still there 20 minutes later--they were essentially water tight!!

Old 07-23-2016, 07:21 AM
Received 490 Likes on 261 Posts
Old 07-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by baxtor
I am running 4L80E in my '89 and using the TCI ezy tcu. My understanding is that the six speed involves a major gearbox modification (valve body change...l think) and utilises the overdrive function to split the other gears. I also believe there were problems with that O'drive gear assy. failing given the extra load in lower gears.
As far as control for 4 gears l cannot fault it, has sport mode built in and manual/ paddle function availability.
that is great! thank for responding, if only I could bolt a 4L80 behind my 1992 V12... that would be fun... esp with a 3.54 rear and not the 2.88 I have...

Old 07-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

thanks Andy!

my car had been missing on bank B for some time now and injector cleaner would work and I guess that was just a fluke .... I was going to send the injectors out for a cleaning and matching but when the coil gave up the ghost that well was that... new coil no missing.... though... the cat never glowed... there was a lot of heat and smell of burn wiring
the out side of the ABS sensor wire broke down... the heat resistant part...
so you did not replace you cats... ? where did you get a blank pipe and the down pipes have the precat cat... what about them....
my gas mileage increased by 30%.... freaky!
I do have a lot more power now.... even with the restriction on bank B
when I clear this restriction... will my gas mileage go down...... maybe not because I use lower RPMs now....

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 07-23-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

talked with a very nice person at "the driven man" and he said he would email me the instructions for the install... he was the one at Road Atlanta... with the six speed xjs V12 that had fuel pump problems...

he said that the down pipes are just pipes and that means better flow and cooler temps under the hood... every one like cooler engine compartment temp...
so I am waiting for his email and deciding how I am going to pay for this...

Old 07-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

talked with a very nice person at "the driven man" and he said he would email me the instructions for the install... he was the one at Road Atlanta... with the six speed xjs V12 that had fuel pump problems...

he said that the down pipes are just pipes and that means better flow and cooler temps under the hood... every one like cooler engine compartment temp...
so I am waiting for his email and deciding how I am going to pay for this...
checked my spam filters, no email yet...

Old 08-01-2016, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

checked my spam filters, no email yet...

checked my inbox and spam filter AGAIN
hmmm maybe they do not want to sell an exhaust