XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Hydraulic Car Lift Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts
Default XJS Hydraulic Car Lift Problem

If you are going to buy an XJS and are intending to work on her yourself, then rather than pay a Garage/Shop $100 per hour.

You need to consider at the least getting yourself a 3 Ton Jack and some Axle Stands, or else do what I did and get a Hydraulic Lift.

Which has given me very excellent Service up to now and made working on my Car a whole lot easier.

I bought it several years ago from a Lady who owned a Circus 'Like you do' and had a lot of fun getting it home but that is a very long Story.

The Problem now is that the Electric Motor started smoking and packed up, so now needs replacing.

So while I was at a 'Yard Sale' I found a battered old Saw Bench that was only £10 and while the Blade was all seized up, I was only interested in the Electric Motor and so for only a 'Tenner' I thought I'd take a punt.

And after I managed to get it home, I tore the thing apart where after a bit of TLC I got the Motor running like a 'Bird'

Just the thing for my Hydraulic Car Lift (or so I thought!) except there is a problem!

(I do hope Warrjon is reading this!)

The Original Electric Motor ran 'Anti Clockwise' but this Electric Motor runs 'Clockwise'

Which means it would Spin the 'Hydraulic Pump' the 'Wrong Way'

So my question is: could I just Swap the fittings over to the other side or make the motor run the other way?

The problem is that I cannot open the Motor, to change any wiring, even if I knew what to do which I don't, as the bolts and fastenings are to rusty to come apart.

Ideally I could run the Pump in a 'Clockwise' direction if that is possible and if that would work?

If I was able to do that, I could take the coupling off the Old Motor and drill it out for a 20mm Shaft and maybe chop a little bit off the end (its a bit too long)

Then drill and tap the Face Plate and bolt it altogether, then just plug it in and lift the Car but it probably won't be quite as easy as that.

The Motor and Pump would be used in the Horizontal Position, not vertical as in the Photo.

Ideas wanted please guys.

My Trusty Hydraulic Car Lifter, now sadly minus the Electric Motor.

Scrap Saw Bench, gotta be worth a 'Tenner' just for the Motor and I can use the Table for a Welding Bench

The Old Electric Motor which Spins Anti Clockwise.
The only good bit on it now is the Coupling

The Motor out of the Saw Bench, which runs Clockwise.

I was planning to Tap and Drill the Motor Head and then Bolt it together.

The Motor and Pump would be used in the Horizontal Position not up on end like this

This is the make and model of the Hydraulic Pump

Details of 'The Electric Motor' which means nothing to me!

But it runs a lot better than it looks

Except it Runs the Wrong Way for the Hydraulic Pump

The Hydraulic Pump runs 'Anti Clockwise' but the New Electric Motor runs 'Clockwise' Arrrgh!

My New Scrap Saw Bench Motor in all its glory!

If only it ran 'Anti Clockwise' all problems would be solved (ish!)

Old 10-17-2016, 07:23 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

You should be able to reverse the motor by swapping a couple wires. Look on the motor tag and see

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (10-18-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:46 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Your pump runs anti clockwise, motor runs clockwise. By that I would guess your lift lowers by bypassing the fluid, so changing the fittings or lines going to the ram would not work. Your motor looks to be AC and I cannot tell you much about those, but in thinking, is the pump running anti clockwise when looking at it from the bottom where it attaches to the motor? If so would not the motor with the shaft sticking up inside that area be turning the same direction? Hope that does not get to confusing.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BC XJS
You should be able to reverse the motor by swapping a couple wires. Look on the motor tag and see
Hi BC

I know nothing about electrics, so I'm totally in the dark about that (pun intended Lol)
but it's far too rusty and corroded to try and take it apart.

Ironically, the motor runs great so in a worst case Scenario, I could always use it to build a Compressor, as it's nice and quiet.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JLBolen
Your pump runs anti clockwise, motor runs clockwise. By that I would guess your lift lowers by bypassing the fluid, so changing the fittings or lines going to the ram would not work. Your motor looks to be AC and I cannot tell you much about those, but in thinking, is the pump running anti clockwise when looking at it from the bottom where it attaches to the motor? If so would not the motor with the shaft sticking up inside that area be turning the same direction? Hope that does not get to confusing.
Hi JL

The motor would be turning it in the opposite direction to the way it was running before, ie 'Clockwise' which with the benefit of hindsight, is why they use them on Saw Benches as otherwise the Blade locking nut might start to come undone. Ooops!

Still nothing lost for a 'Tenner' the Table Top is worth that to me to use as a Welding Bench.

So maybe it's back to the drawing board unless there is a Hydraulic Engineer in the House?

The Motor is AC 240 Volts about 2hp I think?

Old 10-18-2016, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

The motor is 2.2kw 1.65hp and 2800rpm.

You can reverse the motor by swapping the start winding polarity. The start capacitor will be in series with the start winding.

Last edited by warrjon; 10-18-2016 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
The motor is 2.2kw 1.65hp and 2800rpm.

You can reverse the motor by swapping the start winding polarity. The start capacitor will be in series with the start winding.
Hi Warrjon

That sounds Amazing! really glad that you chimed in!

But I know nothing about electrics, would you be able to talk me through what to do?

Old 10-18-2016, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Hi OB,

If reversing the motor is too difficult, could you mount the motor with a toothed wheel on the end which then engages with a toothed wheel on the pump coupling. You would thus have reversed the direction of travel from the motor to the pump.

Hope that makes sense!

Paul

PS Just noticed that I have a PM from you! Apols for not noticing earlier. Will respond later. Cheers.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Hi OB,

If reversing the motor is too difficult, could you mount the motor with a toothed wheel on the end which then engages with a toothed wheel on the pump coupling. You would thus have reversed the direction of travel from the motor to the pump.

Hope that makes sense!

Paul

PS Just noticed that I have a PM from you! Apols for not noticing earlier. Will respond later. Cheers.
Hi Paul

I get what you mean but 'fabbing' that up could be a bit complicated.

Hopefully Warrjon will be able to come up with a 'mirracle solution' what he doesn't know about Electronics, you don't need to know!

Old 10-18-2016, 09:15 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

If you can post picture of motor label I will walk you through it. If it's reversable it will only take 2 minutes

Old 10-18-2016, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Brave man, trusting your pride and joy to a motor that you bought for £10 off a bearded lady!

Old 10-18-2016, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
Brave man, trusting your pride and joy to a motor that you bought for £10 off a bearded lady!
She also had some 'sideboards' if you're interested in those I can get you a quote.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BC XJS
If you can post picture of motor label I will walk you through it. If it's reversable it will only take 2 minutes
Hi BC

There is a photo of the label in this Post, its the only one that's on there but I don't understand a word of it myself.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Your motor is a split phase motor P1 and P2. One of the windings will have a capacitor in series, you need to identify this winding and reverse its polarity.

With an AC motor the voltage has NO bearing on which direction the motor spins (unlike a DC motor) its the magnetic field generated by the direction of current flow. It's quite complicated as it actually need the current in each winding to be 90° apart.

OB can you take a pic of the inside of the box on top of the motor. Hopefully I can identify which wires to swap from the pic. If not you'll need to get your DMM out.

I got rid of the diagram as I thought it was confusing

Last edited by warrjon; 10-19-2016 at 05:57 AM.
orangeblossom (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Warrjon

The Box on Top of the Motor is a bit corroded, including the screws that hold it on, so I will probably have a bit of a problem trying to get the lid off and will have to give it a good spray with some penetrating Oil.

But I will do my best.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Once you have it apart take a pic so we can identify exactly what type of motor it is.

The big thing on the side is a capacitor. Need to know if there is another cap inside the box, and what terminals are there

Old 10-19-2016, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Warrjon

I managed to get the Cover off and was able to take a few Pics, so hope they help.

My knowledge of this kind of Stuff is Zero, so please keep it all as non technical as possible as I don't know what a Capacitor is or even what it does.

But I'm guessing its that 'Silver Thingy' on top of the Motor.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Disappointed. I read this posts title and expected to find a low rider XJS with one corner not jumping up in the air properly.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JigJag
Disappointed. I read this posts title and expected to find a low rider XJS with one corner not jumping up in the air properly.
That might have been much easier to Fix!

Old 10-19-2016, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

OB, if you swap the blue capacitor lead to the RED AC and Z2 to U1 the motor should reverse.

I am making an assumption that Z1 and Z2 are one winding and U1 and U2 are the second winding. You can confirm this by measuring each winding with an Ohm meter they should read around 1hom.

Attached Thumbnails XJS Hydraulic Car Lift Problem-motor.jpg  

Quick Reply: XJS Hydraulic Car Lift Problem