XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

xjs not cranking!!! HELP!!!!!!! PLZ!!!!

Old 03-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default xjs not cranking!!! HELP!!!!!!! PLZ!!!!

Well classy cat was under the knife to get her floors fixed... it was done... when I went to pick her up, they shop that worked on it could not crank her up... the key turns, all the lights come on the dash, but the car does not turn.

the general consensus that that the alarm/security got activated some how while they were working on it... is this possible? if so, how to get it to crank? what wires to unplug to bypass the security?

thanks

Old 03-22-2010, 07:32 PM

PS: I have no remotes and just one key.

I just got some info saying that the '94s don't have a security shut off button in the center console?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

try starting it in N... sounds like my neutral safety switch

Old 03-23-2010, 09:05 AM

is there a kill switch in the car?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Not sure in your model, but mine does have an inertia switch in the lower panel, driver side footwell. Only supposed to be triggered in a severe crash though.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

The above is good.

Not greatly familiar with the XJS, but...

I had a similar problem with my XJ40 after the battery had been off for an extended period whilst the car was in the shop for repairs after an old dear had reversed into it.

Suppose that your body shop did have the batt disconnected for welding?

Try a hard reset, with batt +ve lead touched to batt -ve post.

Also cycle gear shifter through P to N and back again.

No way I know of disconnecting the inbuilt factory security system it is hard wired into the main loom. Although I think you might have a security ECU somewhere in the trunk?

Do you have any messages on the VCM? Might help.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Default an update

Originally Posted by Translator
The above is good.

Not greatly familiar with the XJS, but...

I had a similar problem with my XJ40 after the battery had been off for an extended period whilst the car was in the shop for repairs after an old dear had reversed into it.

Suppose that your body shop did have the batt disconnected for welding?

Try a hard reset, with batt +ve lead touched to batt -ve post.

Also cycle gear shifter through P to N and back again.

No way I know of disconnecting the inbuilt factory security system it is hard wired into the main loom. Although I think you might have a security ECU somewhere in the trunk?

Do you have any messages on the VCM? Might help.
Thanks for info.. I will try the hard reset.

There are no warning messages in the computer... just some lights on the dash... transmission, check engine, etc.

The good news is that one of the guys at the shop bypassed the alarm at the starting relay so that the car could start... I just have to be careful not to start it in reverse or drive as it will take off.

Also, it looks like I will need to purchase a remote and program it to be able to deal with this in the future.

Where can I get all this "secret" info about hard-resets and such... in the manuals?

oh.. btw, I removed the security computer and got nothing...

Thanks again.

Last edited by rama1200; 03-24-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: adding details
Old 03-25-2010, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Rama, the hard reset is what I described above, and SARC pointed you to his programing sequence in your reprograming thread.

There is also some stuff up in the FAQ at the top of the page.

I am very intrigued as to how bypassing this at the starter relay would allow the car to start in gear. To me that sounds more like a G/Box sensor switch.

Look forward to SARC's reply when he picks up on this.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rama1200
Well classy cat was under the knife to get her floors fixed... it was done... when I went to pick her up, they shop that worked on it could not crank her up... the key turns, all the lights come on the dash, but the car does not turn.

the general consensus that that the alarm/security got activated some how while they were working on it... is this possible? if so, how to get it to crank? what wires to unplug to bypass the security?

thanks
It is possible that the alarm was activated. My car alarm beeps when I push the button it beeps twice and it opens the locks, then I have about 45 seconds to start the car or it beeps once and after that the car won't start until I push the button again and get TWO beeps. Call the maker of your car alarm.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Before we get to far off in the "maybes," what year XJS? Is it a 6 cylinder or v12? Too many variations to guess that are unique to the years of production. When you try to start, do the lights dim? You may have enough voltage to work the lights but not enough amperage to turn the starter. Does the engine turn? Do you hear the starter engage but not turn?

Old 04-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new to the forum, but may be able to offer something...
on our old 89xjs there is an inertia switch in the drivers door jamb..
on our 92xjs it is in the passenger door jamb..
it is black and should have a "pin" on the top(if i remember correctly)...
just depress the pin and give it a try..

please let me know if i'm remembering correctly...

Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the info...

The inertia switch in my '94 6-I 4.0L is right next to the passanger's door hinge...

I moved that, but with no luck...

Thankfully the car now cranks... on the guys that were working on it, bridged the starter???

Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you're seeing the Transmission Fault lamp lit (the picture of a trans with an X across it, very ominous) then this is the collision immobilizer most likely. Don't ask me why that generates a transmission fault indicator but it does.

You need to reset the collision sensor which on my car is located in a small trim covered box on the door pillar for the passenger door between the door and the console. The button to reset it is accessible through a finger sized hole in the top. Press it and the problem should go away.

If the Alarm needs to be reset you can do this on the XJS by accessing a pair of leads in the center console near the gear shifter. It's been a while since I did this and I think the procedure is buried in this forum somewhere. In my recollection there's a small 2 wire molex connector with (I think) yellow and purple leads. Plugging a switch (or fabricating one out of two wires) allows you to follow the XJ6 alarm coding procedure on the XJS. On the XJ6 there's a button switch in the glove box for doing this. On the XJS you get to take it to a dealership. Nice.