XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

xjs-v12 Conv. Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile xjs-v12 Conv. Fuel pump

Need to remove fuel tank clean it and replace the fuel pump. Appears it comes out through the boot. Advisement on this procedure would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Default 1992 xjs v12 conv.

Originally Posted by Bobby Boyd
Need to remove fuel tank clean it and replace the fuel pump. Appears it comes out through the boot. Advisement on this procedure would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, forgot the year of the car, it is a 1992

Old 01-31-2012, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi Bobby

Yes, the tank comes out through the trunk. Depressurize the system by removing the fuel pump relay and cranking the car for about 30 seconds. Open the fuel filler cap. Remove the carpets, trim, etc. Unbolt the stiffener plate that is sitting exposed now at the back of the trunk. Unclip the pump wiring loom. Unbolt the fuel filler cap housing which is bolted to the car body through the filler cap neck. Undo the 2 metal straps that are holding the tank in place. Go underneath the car and disconnect the 2 "quick connect" fuel lines that run into the bottom of the tank from underneath the car. Pull the tank straight back.

The quick connectors are exposed to mud and dirt, and on my 92 car they were a real mess. I gave up and let my trusted mechanic do it, mainly because I don't like messing around with fuel in general, and I don't have a good ramp/lift to get underneath the car.

We also had a lot of problems finding the correct fuel pump for the car. You, like me, have a quite unusual spec car..... a face lifted non 6.0 V12. These cars were only built for around 18 months..... and the parts are sometimes difficult to identify. My mechanic took the whole fuel pump and the housing the the jaguar dealer and spent about 2 hours going through microfiches to find the correct one. Apparently my pump is the same as the later 6.0 V12 cars.....

Do you have the repair operations manual or an alldata subscription ? (These cars need quite a bit of care, so investing a bit in these manuals will help you a lot in the long run

Old 01-31-2012, 07:03 AM
Smile Than you

First off, thank you for the well written and complete response to my question. I have accomplished most of what you have suggested. Now just need to disconnect filler neck and lines.

I just took possession of this car. It has been sitting for 5 years. Going to clean out the fuel system, new pump and hope for the best. Then I am going to try and sell it. It is a really nice convertible and even has the Jag wires on it. The car has been here in Texas all its life under one owner. Body is excellent and absolutely rust free. Top is also excellent. Only down side to the car is the interior has seen some sunshine. We get a lot of that down here.

If you know anyone that might be interested in the car let me know.

Thank again for the complete response to my question.