XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tell Installed Options by VIN?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts
Question Tell Installed Options by VIN?

I am looking at a couple of XK's. One is from a Jag dealer, but the salesperson can't tell me exactly what options are installed ('07 coupe). I thought they should be able to from the VIN. They said "we did not sell the car new". Is this BS?

First, the dealer said the car did not have NAV, then it did... Next, it has Sirius, but no antenna on the trunk.... I like the car, but I am looking nationwide and this car is too far away for me to see in person...

Any advice?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

They've got pics posted somewhere, right? Lots of pictures will give you some good info, albeit not all you are looking for...

Old 03-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I am looking at a couple of XK's. One is from a Jag dealer, but the salesperson can't tell me exactly what options are installed ('07 coupe).
From my shopping experience this is surprisingly common. The 07's basically had 3 option packages: Luxury (you can tell by looking at the leather seats), Audio (you can tell by counting the speakers), and Technology (you can tell by looking for the extra button on the steering wheel for the active cruise control).

The most reliable way to get the features and options list is to ask the Jag dealer for the "Warramty Referrals" sheet, also known as the "Direct Dealer Warranty - Vehicle Details". Although they sometimes do not want to give this, it will show the options along with "open field service actions".

Tony

The following users liked this post:
guy (07-27-2013)
Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Take the VIN No. to the dealer serv. dept. They can pull up the "build sheet", that's my term, and tell you the exact configuration of the car as it left the factory.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I also went here
TOPIx - TOPIx
registered, and somewhere found a spot to input a VIN and check recalls?
It generated a report like this:

Vince

The following users liked this post:
luv2fly (06-11-2015)
Old 03-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Take the VIN No. to the dealer serv. dept. They can pull up the "build sheet", that's my term, and tell you the exact configuration of the car as it left the factory.
The reluctance of the dealership to give me the answers I want has really left me wanting to walk away from the car. I love the color, wheels, mileage, price, but not the run-around. I asked if Sirius was installed option and they said yes, but end up finding out it is an aftermarket one and I kept asking over and over what options are installed. Their answer was, “AC, power windows, cruise control…” and this from a dealer! At one point they said the car did not have NAV! Is this possible? Oh well…

I am re-visiting one I looked at locally after they’ve “reconditioned” it. I like this one too and they’ve come down on the price. Has all the options, one owner, good records, and no accidents reported. If we can make a deal and it looks better than it was; could be mine.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The reluctance of the dealership to give me the answers I want has really left me wanting to walk away from the car. I love the color, wheels, mileage, price, but not the run-around. I asked if Sirius was installed option and they said yes, but end up finding out it is an aftermarket one and I kept asking over and over what options are installed. Their answer was, “AC, power windows, cruise control…” and this from a dealer! At one point they said the car did not have NAV! Is this possible? Oh well…
Was it a Jaguar dealership? They have direct access to the data - and any other dealer worth their salt should be have the nous to look it up on Topix just like we do.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

If you post the last 6 of the vin I can send you the DDW.

The following 2 users liked this post by JgaXkr:
guy (07-27-2013), mosesbotbol (03-16-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by manicguitarist
Was it a Jaguar dealership? They have direct access to the data - and any other dealer worth their salt should be have the nous to look it up on Topix just like we do.
Yes, this was a Jaguar / Land Rover dealership. I really like the car, but feel apprehensive when my simple questions are given the run around. The car is 15 hour drive away, so it’s not like I just go check it out.

I bought my current Jag sight unseen, but the dealer was candid with both what the car had, along with the good & bad on the car. It was exactly as described when I got it.

The VIN, if someone can post what this car was delivered with is: SAJDA43BX75B04693.

I was hoping to have a car by end of March.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Yes, this was a Jaguar / Land Rover dealership. I really like the car, but feel apprehensive when my simple questions are given the run around. The car is 15 hour drive away, so it’s not like I just go check it out.

I bought my current Jag sight unseen, but the dealer was candid with both what the car had, along with the good & bad on the car. It was exactly as described when I got it.

The VIN, if someone can post what this car was delivered with is: SAJDA43BX75B04693.

I was hoping to have a car by end of March.
Moses: I have to agree with you on your concerns, especially if this is Jaguar dealership. I've never experienced a brush-off at a Jag dealer. Usually they are all over you trying to get you to buy.

That being said, are you considering getting a warranty? If you get the right warranty, it will be less of a concern if they don't tell you about a problem. As long as there have been no accidents that have created any significant cosmetic or structural repairs, a *good* (keyword there) warranty will correct any mechanical problems, even down to replacing the entire engine or transmission. Since they are being Spartan with you, come back at them in the same way and deal with them in a firm manner, especially on the price. If they want to sell the car they will deal with you.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
That being said, are you considering getting a warranty?
No I was not. My current Jag, the warranty broke even so I was considering not getting one this time.