XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

~~~Dashboard is Humming~~~

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ~~~Dashboard is Humming~~~

Okay Gentlemen, this may be an easy one.

On my "beautiful" 2007 XK coupe: There is a "low volume motor hum" emitting from the instrument panel at the "temp. sensor" screen (just to the right of the steering column) that runs continuously after the ignition is turned "Off".

I do believe it'll eventually drain the battery.

Any ideas what this possibly could be?

Wish I new.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I think it is the aspirator fan that samples the interior temperature. It shuts off on its own after a few minutes.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by flynalways
Okay Gentlemen, this may be an easy one.

On my "beautiful" 2007 XK coupe: There is a "low volume motor hum" emitting from the instrument panel at the "temp. sensor" screen (just to the right of the steering column) that runs continuously after the ignition is turned "Off".

I do believe it'll eventually drain the battery.

Any ideas what this possibly could be?

Wish I new.

Lock your car whenever you shut it off. This will minimize the battery drain. The aspirator noise is normal unless it is excessive.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:28 PM

The noise does not stop at all. I just checked it and after 4 hours, it is still humming along. I've also locked the doors and it still does not shut down. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I think it is the aspirator fan that samples the interior temperature. It shuts off on its own after a few minutes.
This has been asked many many times on the X type forum.....on that model as WhiteXKR says it is indeed the little aspirator fan.

Can't say for sure on your model but it would be my first thought.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

The noise does not stop at all. I just checked it and after 4 hours, it is still humming along. I've also locked the doors and it still does not shut down. Thanks for your thoughts.
Are you opening the door when you go to check it? That will wake it back up.

The following users liked this post:
Big Otter (11-12-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 05:01 AM

No, I have the window rolled down to confirm the noise.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:06 AM

Okay Guys, This isn't normal, the noise continues for hours after the ignition is turned off. I have locked the doors to test but it continues to hum for "hours". I'm thinking perhaps "dirty contacts" or something of the like.
Does anyone know how to access the motor? If so, I'll just remove and inspect. Thanks for your input. Gary

Old 11-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Okay Guys, This isn't normal, the noise continues for hours after the ignition is turned off. I have locked the doors to test but it continues to hum for "hours". I'm thinking perhaps "dirty contacts" or something of the like.
Does anyone know how to access the motor? If so, I'll just remove and inspect. Thanks for your input. Gary
This motor, like just about everything in this car is computer controlled. Inspecting the motor is unlikely to offer much of a clue.

It is possible you car is not entering sleep mode properly, or there is a problem with the climate control electronic module.

I suggest resetting all of the electronics in the vehicle by disconnecting the battery for a minute or so. Reconnect the battery, then follow the instructions in the owner's manual to reset the windows and the electronic parking brake.

Just like with your home computer, sometime a 'reboot' can cure a problem.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 11-10-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Thanks for your thoughts.

I just completed a battery disconnect followed by resettings of systems. The motor runs continuously after I shut the ignition off. It does not self shut off at all.

I also noticed that the outside temperature reading shows 15 deg. cooler than actual.

Please be advised that the battery is "original". No other electrical "gremlins" showing up though.

Perhaps as you advised it is the fan module itself.

Thanks again for your thoughts, Gary

Old 11-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for your thoughts.

I just completed a battery disconnect followed by resettings of systems. The motor runs continuously after I shut the ignition off. It does not self shut off at all.

I also noticed that the outside temperature reading shows 15 deg. cooler than actual.

Please be advised that the battery is "original". No other electrical "gremlins" showing up though.

Perhaps as you advised it is the fan module itself.

Thanks again for your thoughts, Gary
If you have a digital multimeter, check the voltage across the battery with ignition off after the car has been off for a few hours. If it is under 12.2 volts it is a good indication that it is time for a new battery (for reliable operation in an XK). If this is the case, replacing the battery is a good idea anyway, and there is a chance it would resolve the issue.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:42 AM

Will comply, thanks for the heads up, Gary

Old 11-12-2014, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

The aspirator fan kicks into action the instant the exterior door handle is pulled; it remains in operation until AFTER the engine is shut down and the door is closed. And with the door closed, it will remain running for up to a half hour unless the car is locked! This is normal and correct as a preparatory part of the climate control system (whether that system is in operation or not).
You can check this by putting the window down, LOCKING the car, and checking an hour later. The fan will be off. But when you touch the door handle it will come alive again.