Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2 Months Left on Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2 Months Left on Warranty

Hi,
The original warranty on my one month old 2011 XKR convertible with 37,000 miles expires in 60 days. Any thoughts on items prone to failure that I should take an extra close look at? The maintenance records I received from the original owner show only scheduled maintenance visits at the dealer where he purchased the vehicle. Since I’ve owned it I’ve only experienced a warning light on the adaptive front lighting system which cleared after a couple of days/restarts, an intermittent rubbing noise when the steering wheel raises or lowers, and a self-reboot of the touch screen display after it froze in Parking Aid mode. Otherwise she's been running beautifully.
Thanks,
Frank

Old 05-27-2016, 12:22 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Doing a "search" will uncover the most common errors which are still very rare. these cars are very reliable so there should be no worries especially since yours has already proven trustworthy

The following users liked this post:
fangel (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 105 Likes on 65 Posts

If you're at all worried, have you thought about getting the warranty extended?

fangel (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

On both of the XK's I bought (the one totaled and it's replacement) the glove compartment would just fall down. Salesman told me on the first one this was normal when I picked the car up to take home. I researched and found this was not true, I made sure they were fixed under warranty. Does your glove compartment open gently or fall and bounce?

Old 05-27-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scottsgreenjag
Thanks, I did look at extended warranties, but one from a reputable company was $7800 for a 48mos extension and 100,000mi. Another one that was offered was $2800 for 36mos, but there were many complaints about them, and I didn't like the fact that they could supply used parts at their option. So I thought I'd "self-warranty" it and apply what I would have paid towards future repairs.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I would get the Timing Chain and cam phasers replaced. Tell the service manager that you fell it is loose. You can hear noise at the first 10 seconds of startup.

Let him hear with a scope, I bet he hears it. He may be kind enough to acknowledge its a known problem and fix it anyway. The water pump is another well known issue.

Post back if he agrees, and we will guide you to everything else that needs to be replaced while he is doing that.

The control arms squeaking is another issue.

fangel (05-28-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottsgreenjag
extended warranty not as good as factory warranty.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country

The control arms squeaking is another issue.
Yes and have them check all of the suspension bushings, there is a chance that some of them are in need of replacing. You must be firm. I learned a dirty little secret about Jaguar warranty repairs quite sometime ago when I was in the same position as you with 2 of my Jags I kept past the factory warranty. The service department is graded and rewarded based on how many warranty claims they do not put through, for example if a particular dealer has too many warranty claims per review period, they get penalized, if they have few, they get rewarded. Let us say a client has a car nearing warranty expiration and raises a concern the service writer thinks he or she can talk the client out of, there is a good chance they will say the problem component is within spec. Obviously this does not apply to issues like a completely failed water pump or other complete and obvious covered mechanical failures.

Last edited by jahummer; 05-28-2016 at 07:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jahummer:
fangel (05-28-2016), Queen and Country (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 07:21 PM

Great suggestions and the advice is much appreciated. I'll post back on what happens when I take it in in a couple of weeks.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
extended warranty not as good as factory warranty.

True, although there are exclusionary warranties that are just about as good as the original factory warranty, but they are going to cost big $$ and often the adjuster will try to weasel out of honoring the claim. I had one on my Super V8 and they attempted to deny a handful of claims until I figured out how to trick them.

Anyhow as many have suggested on this forum every time the question comes up, the most common repairs can end up costing a lot less than the initial cost for a warranty. Where they can be good is in the unlikely event of a major failure such as transmission or engine but keep in mind the fine print calls for previous service records they are almost certain to try to use against honoring the claim.

Kevin77 (05-29-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 01:26 PM

I wanted to provide an update on my experience of getting my car serviced at the end of its 5 year warranty period. With just 1 week left on the warranty I brought the car to my local mechanic who went through the car looking for any defects so that I could then take it to the dealer for repair. I also provided the list of items provided here previously on this thread. The good news was that he found the car to be in excellent condition with no issues whatsoever. This also included a review of all the error codes, although I’m not sure how far back the stored record goes. I happened to mention that the steering wheel had made a rubbing noise on a few occasions when I got into the car and the wheel positioned itself. He commented that this could indicate an impending failure with one of the motors and that these were expensive repairs and worth mentioning to the dealer.
So my wife then took it down to the local Jag dealer (we did not buy the car from them) and she found the service manager to be extremely gracious and accommodating. Because the rub noise from the steering column only occurred infrequently, he also asked my wife if she had seen any warning lights on the dash and after she replied no, he asked again and winked at her repeatedly (she thought he had a tic) until she finally realized he wanted her to say Yes. So she did, and he took the car in, said they would take a look at it and also take a good look at the whole car to see if there was anything else they might find. He gave my wife a loaner car, a 2017 XE and then called us later that day to say they were ordering new adjustment motors which would take a few days. This took about 4 days including the weekend, and then we brought the loaner back and picked up our car for no charge. I couldn’t have asked for anything more, and thought I’d pass on a “good news” factory warranty story.
Now that I’m out of warranty, just hope everything doesn’t now begin to fall apart

Old 08-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Received 102 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey Fangel,

My 2011 XK makes the same noise when the steering wheel moves... i wrote it off as plastic rubbing due to heat expansion or something. What was the fix?

Last edited by SeanU; 08-03-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:49 PM

SeanU, They replaced the steering column, C2P25507. It was minor enough and infrequent enough that I wouldn't have replaced this if I hadn't been bringing it in for a warranty check. From what I was told though, this is an early indication of impending failure of one of the drive motors.
I don't know what this repair would have cost, but it doesn't sound inexpensive!

Old 08-04-2016, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
On both of the XK's I bought (the one totaled and it's replacement) the glove compartment would just fall down. Salesman told me on the first one this was normal when I picked the car up to take home. I researched and found this was not true, I made sure they were fixed under warranty. Does your glove compartment open gently or fall and bounce?
Had mine fixed 2 weeks ago under " good will". I have an extended (expensive too) warranty but the dealership took care of this without getting the warranty company involved. Everyone's happy. FYI....it is a common problem.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by fangel
Hi,
The original warranty on my one month old 2011 XKR convertible with 37,000 miles expires in 60 days. Any thoughts on items prone to failure that I should take an extra close look at? The maintenance records I received from the original owner show only scheduled maintenance visits at the dealer where he purchased the vehicle. Since I’ve owned it I’ve only experienced a warning light on the adaptive front lighting system which cleared after a couple of days/restarts, an intermittent rubbing noise when the steering wheel raises or lowers, and a self-reboot of the touch screen display after it froze in Parking Aid mode. Otherwise she's been running beautifully.
Thanks,
Frank
Fangel. You are going to hear different points of view with regards to an extended warranty as well as what you can do now. Bottom line is this. Pick up on all the issues you are reading and see if any/all of them can be addressed while under the original warranty if they may apply to you. Any repair on our cars can be quite expensive and some are prohibitively expensive. I purchased a 6 year 60,000 warranty which after 2 years I have not yet used, but my car has 8700 miles. These cars do break. Do your homework and fix what you can now and then decide if you want to move foward without a warranty as 40,000 miles on a Jaguar is not considered a low mileage car. Good luck and enjoy. It's a great car! I just read that you are pretty much out of warranty. Life is taking a chance. Yes it's not a lexus, but it's fun and gorgeous....There's always a tradeoff.

Last edited by bocatrip; 08-04-2016 at 05:39 PM.