XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 XK - Infotainment center

Old 08-17-2016, 01:54 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 2007 XK - Infotainment center

I'm looking to get a 2007-up XK. I've had several XK8's and XKR's, but never the newer X150 platform. A few things I'm noticing:

The infotainment center in the center console makes the whole car feel old. Is there a way to upgrade it for a newer unit? What year XK did the infotainment center get upgraded? I don't know it I can live with this center console setup

Old 08-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Like most new cars the infotainment isn't just stereo and nav but also climate control and lots of vehicle specs so unless you want to do a ton of cash the answer is no. All the X150 (2007-2015) have the same system

Last edited by Leeper; 08-17-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:03 PM
hm1

Originally Posted by Leeper
Like most new cars the infotainment isn't just stereo and nav but also climate control and lots of vehicle specs so unless you want to do a ton of cash the answer is no. All the X150 (2007-2015) have the same system
They have the same exact graphics? I've seen a few pics online of a newer 2015, it looks a bit different

Old 08-17-2016, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Originally Posted by hm1
I've seen a few pics online of a newer 2015, it looks a bit different
Sure it was a X150? Some other models use a newer system, that gets updates via a thumb drive, vs the DVD used by the X150.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:04 PM
hm1

Looks like was upgraded in 2013, but not many specifics.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,143 Likes on 3,081 Posts

Uh, no??? Same exact setup as the earlier ones. Pic is of a 2015, has zero "soft buttons" and exact same layout as 2007...

Old 08-17-2016, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

you dont buy a Jaguar for the entertainment system, just like you dont buy a Ferrari for the radio. It does everything you need, but I have mine off nearly all the time.

no infotainment system is upgradable without major tears, if at all possible. The newer the car the more inseparable it is from the car.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,124 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by hm1
I'm looking to get a 2007-up XK.

The infotainment center in the center console makes the whole car feel old. Is there a way to upgrade it for a newer unit? What year XK did the infotainment center get upgraded? I don't know it I can live with this center console setup
My first reaction is to ask if you are joking? But, maybe not....I!d be interested in why you find this centre unit ( which to my eye is beautifully integrated with the rest of the interior, and very functional - and certainly far better looking than the appalling I-pad arrangement of the MB stuck right in your face and with no option to fold it away). But, seriously, what aspect of the console arrangement do you find intolerable?

Old 08-17-2016, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Until about 2012, there is the blue and white screen setup. From 2012 on there is the black and white screen setup. They dont have the tile setup used in the current crop of jags.

The black and white setup uses a hard drive and had more info on the home screen so that you didnt have to go through multiple windows to access things. I had it on a 2012 XF.

Actually I preferred the blue and white screen setup, because the black and white setup was dreadfully slow to bootup, so the music would take over 30 seconds to come on and the reverse camera longer from startup, I was always pushing the wrong thing because it was too cluttered, and I didnt like the CD to hard drive feature which made it a production to put in new CDs, it was easier with a 6 stacker (new Jags dont have any CD at all in Oz). It had much better music streaming which I dont use.

I went back to the blue and white screen when I traded the XF for an XKR and much preferred it between the two of them.

Here is a link to the '12 screen. It has "soft buttons" at the side https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kAx6N3E9vq8/maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 08-17-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:23 PM
hm1

Originally Posted by sov211
My first reaction is to ask if you are joking? But, maybe not....I!d be interested in why you find this centre unit ( which to my eye is beautifully integrated with the rest of the interior, and very functional - and certainly far better looking than the appalling I-pad arrangement of the MB stuck right in your face and with no option to fold it away). But, seriously, what aspect of the console arrangement do you find intolerable?
Joking? It's front and center in the cabin.. Most older MB's and Porsche's are upgradable, that's why I ask.

The car only has 300hp, would probably have trouble keeping up with a v6 maxima or Camry, but I get what you mean. It's all about the experience, which is hurt by that laggy-inconsistent thing stuck in the middle of the dash

Old 08-17-2016, 06:26 PM
hm1

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Until about 2012, there is the blue and white screen setup. From 2012 on there is the black and white screen setup. They dont have the tile setup used in the current crop of jags.

The black and white setup uses a hard drive and had more info on the home screen so that you didnt have to go through multiple windows to access things. I had it on a 2012 XF.

Actually I preferred the blue and white screen setup, because the black and white setup was dreadfully slow to bootup, so the music would take over 30 seconds to come on and the reverse camera longer from startup, I was always pushing the wrong thing because it was too cluttered, and I didnt like the CD to hard drive feature which made it a production to put in new CDs, it was easier with a 6 stacker (new Jags dont have any CD at all in Oz). It had much better music streaming which I dont use.

I went back to the blue and white screen when I traded the XF for an XKR and much preferred it between the two of them.

Here is a link to the '12 screen. It has "soft buttons" at the side https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kAx6N3E9vq8/maxresdefault.jpg
Thanks for the input, there has to be a way of at least making it faster

Old 08-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Banned

I just watched a great review by Jay Leno on a 60's Ferrari... one of the things he loved as the lack of anything distracting and he reminisced about the days back when drivers actually drove their cars, watched the roads, and took in their cars rather than had nothing but distractions, gadgets, and things like that.

The Jag Infotainment systems is adequate for what it does - audio, climate controls, vehicle stats, and once I've gotten used to the nav even that. In some cases I find it easier to talk to my Driod which takes me to Google maps for step-by-step guidance which includes best routing with traffic considerations. If I want tech I would have opted for a Tesla or put a laptop in my car. I drive to enjoy this fine car not the be "wowwed" by its gadgets. There's nothing I need or miss with what's already in this car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Leeper:
Cee Jay (08-17-2016), ralphwg (08-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,143 Likes on 3,081 Posts

My wife's new Lexus has fancy stuff on her screen, it even reads texts she receives while driving and allows her to respond by voice as "Driving, I will reply when I can". It has a bunch of Apps, mostly through Sirius, for gas prices and such. And of course Bluetooth Streaming from up to ten stored devices separate of the phone. Thing is, she rarely uses ANY of them. Sort of like keeping your gold buried in your basement until you're dead.

The following users liked this post:
V7Sport (03-11-2020)
Old 08-17-2016, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

IMO, the pre '12 setup is quick enough save for inputting addresses into the satnav. The post '12 setup is slower, it is really frustrating. I wouldnt let either put you off getting the car which is awesome. But my frustration with the post '12 setup led me to get a newer f type V6S (with the tile screen) rather than a year old f type R, with the black and white screen for the same $$.

The new stuff has the functions Cee Jay mentioned abve, I use the text readout function quite a bit and would really miss it, though I underutilise pretty much everything else.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:35 PM
hm1

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
My wife's new Lexus has fancy stuff on her screen, it even reads texts she receives while driving and allows her to respond by voice as "Driving, I will reply when I can". It has a bunch of Apps, mostly through Sirius, for gas prices and such. And of course Bluetooth Streaming from up to ten stored devices separate of the phone. Thing is, she rarely uses ANY of them. Sort of like keeping your gold buried in your basement until you're dead.
I too rarely use any of that tech, I think that's why it bothers me so much. Even to use the AC, that screen has to be used. It takes away from the interior

Old 08-17-2016, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I wasn't to impressed with the infotainment system but the only thing I use occasionally is the nav. Although this system isn't as good as my 2010 Lexus there isn't to many functions that I use or need. It is clunky having to go to the home screen but I got used to it. I don't much need the other functions as I always run the AC in Auto and any radio stations I use the steering wheel function to change . I have to use the seat heat/cool and the steering wheel heater from the main screen but that is far and few times . I just was in a new XE and that system is a lot better but after the uniqueness wears off I'd still only use a few functions. I found after retiring unless I get a call from my bride or kids there is not a need to answer a phone call or text while in the car. I don't have a song list on my phone or a memory stick so streaming isn't a requirement and because I'm not an apple type the center console pigtail isn't used. So I'm happy with driving with the top down and the radio up and listening to the sound of the 500+ horses.

Last edited by jagtoes; 08-17-2016 at 08:16 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-18-2016, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I have owned an 08 XK and a 12XK and currently own a 13XKR. I cannot detect any discernible difference in the way the infotainment system works in any of the three, other than having newer GPS DVD's. My spouse drives a 15 Lexus RX 350 F Sport with a newer "more complete (should read "more complicated) infotainment system. For my purposed the XK system does just what I want it to do, all be it a little slowly.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by hm1
I too rarely use any of that tech, I think that's why it bothers me so much. Even to use the AC, that screen has to be used. It takes away from the interior
This thread is getting a little confusing because Bruce is talking about his experience with his XF which isn't applicable to the XK. The XK touch screen is pretty much the same from '07 to '15. Small things like the boot screen/screen saver was changed but real air con controls remain under the touch screen. You can control the temperature, fan speed, recirculate etc without going anywhere near the touch screen.

I hardly every use my touch screen because things like the radio controls, music source etc can all be controlled from the buttons on the steering wheel.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member

Actually you might be right. Looking at pictures it seems that the XK may never have got the hard drive/black and white setup. Sorry! But I suppose it was no great loss, the system sucked...

Old 08-18-2016, 09:26 AM
Banned

Not sure what you mean by that statement. If you want to raise or lower the temp that is done by depressing the red or blue arrows which are below the screen I don't think anyone is using their screen for AC unless they are turning their AC off which would be pretty rare. How does the screen "take away from the interior" when every car has some sort of screen? It was fairly well integrated into the dash fine for the times and still ok

The system does what it needs to do (phone, climate, vehicle systems, audio) plenty adequately and fast enough in most all cases... what exactly is your complaint here?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 XK - Infotainment center