XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 XKR - belts and water pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 05:32 AM
Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Default 2007 XKR - belts and water pipe?

I have a few final jobs to do on my car this winter, having sorted out my other issues - Supercharger oil is one of them, however from another thread I read this:

[1] Replace the water outlet containing the thermostat if it's a normally aspirated engine as they are prone to failure as is the return hose from under the inlet manifold to the EGR valve. If you have the supercharged version, replace the hoses under the supercharger for the same reason.

I have also read somewhere that [2] there is a belt that should be changed - can anyone point me to any info on both of these items please?

Thank you

Old 10-15-2020, 08:36 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2011 XKR and had to pull the intake to change a busted hose and so Im changing 4 of them trying to get ahead of this. But I can't find anything on how to change the oil in the Supercharger and saw your post today. Can you help or direct me? Thanks Dennis

The following users liked this post:
wsn03 (02-10-2021)
Old 10-15-2020, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Aprilia2012
I have a 2011 XKR and had to pull the intake to change a busted hose and so Im changing 4 of them trying to get ahead of this. But I can't find anything on how to change the oil in the Supercharger and saw your post today. Can you help or direct me? Thanks Dennis
There is no service information on how to do this because it is a "sealed" unit. However, what I learned on here or the UK forum is that you need to buy a kit first of all - UK link to it is here, however there will be one in the US too - it is called Eaton M112 Supercharger Oil Change Refill Kit Jaguar XKR 4.0, 4.2 225ml:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eaton-M11...72.m2749.l2649
I believe you syphon the oil out (the kit comes with a syphon) and re-fill - use a nozzle from a can of WD40 apparently for best results.
I'll see if I can find the help I was given and I'll post it up

Last edited by wsn03; 10-15-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:23 AM

Here you go, some further information:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fluids-237562/

When I did a search on google both forums had lots of info with pictures - though I recall it looked very simple.

Last edited by wsn03; 10-15-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:56 AM

Update - found this regarding belts on the other forum - very useful video
https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=123585

Old 10-15-2020, 12:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Guys, I followed that link and the pictures. Did I not hear that if you are pulling the SuperCharger off there is a way to replace the fluid? I have to pull mine to get to those under the intake hoses. Thanks again.
Has anyone had the unit drilled nad had a plug put in. Is that a terrible idea?

wsn03 (02-10-2021)
Old 10-15-2020, 12:31 PM

Thanks Guys, I followed that link and the pictures. Did I not hear that if you are pulling the SuperCharger off there is a way to replace the fluid? I have to pull mine to get to those under the intake hoses. Thanks again.
If you are taking it off you can just tip it upside down I would presume and leave it to drain.
Do you really need to remove it, apparently for the valley hose you do not.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:36 PM
SBS
Received 248 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by wsn03
Update - found this regarding belts on the other forum - very useful video
https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=123585
Yea that's my video. I am SBS on here.
I also posted that same video link on here to.
You might also remember I posted what I thought might be helpful thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...d.php?t=237554

Last edited by SBS; 10-15-2020 at 04:41 PM.
wsn03 (02-10-2021)
Old 10-16-2020, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by SBS
Yea that's my video. I am SBS on here.
I also posted that same video link on here to.
You might also remember I posted what I thought might be helpful thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...d.php?t=237554
Your information has been incredibly helpful, thank you

Old 10-16-2020, 07:16 PM
asb
Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

From what I've seen, changing the supercharger oil on the 4.2 is a lot easier than on the 5.0. I know George05 has a thread somewhere where he shows how he tackled changing the supercharger oil on the 5.0. It seems like a tough job given how little working room you have. If you're going to take out the supercharger for some other work, might as well take the opportunity to change the oil.

wsn03 (02-10-2021)
Old 10-16-2020, 11:57 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

"If you are taking it off you can just tip it upside down I would presume and leave it to drain.
Do you really need to remove it, apparently for the valley hose you do not."

There is no way to change the valley hoses with the supercharger in place (4.2). The sound deadening mats under the SC prevent threading them out, and besides that, one uncouples under the SC snout.

The following 2 users liked this post by mhminnich:
007XKR (02-10-2021), wsn03 (02-10-2021)
Old 10-19-2020, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by mhminnich
"If you are taking it off you can just tip it upside down I would presume and leave it to drain.
Do you really need to remove it, apparently for the valley hose you do not."

There is no way to change the valley hoses with the supercharger in place (4.2). The sound deadening mats under the SC prevent threading them out, and besides that, one uncouples under the SC snout.
-Thanks for correcting me, glad to know that. I haven't studied the processes I'm undertaking yet, but valley and any other water pipes plus pump, thermostat, belt, supercharger oil. By the looks of things I can then tip my supercharger upside down! Easy. As they all need changing around the same time that would surely be the answer for everyone wouldn't it ?

Old 10-19-2020, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

For my xjr when i did the Eaton m112 removal and replacement of the valley hoses, i just removed the bolts for the snout. I was popping a new coupler in anyway. But the easy way of changing the oil on car is the goal is the wd40 straw and a syringe. The tipping over will work but you'll have to move the sc to various positions to get the oil out since its a fill level plug not a drain plug.

I agree with the plan of attack of pull the sc, replace the hoses underneath. The water outlet on the sc aka non-na aka xkr cars is not a plastic piece of trash but metal and you should be good leaving it be. Change both belts; and rotate all the accessories and idlers and tensioners to ensure no bearings are starting to go either. Water pump is super easy at this time too; so check it and if leaking or noisy, replace right then. I also recommend replacing any of the hard plastic coolant tubingas well as vacuum tubing/hoses too since it gets brittle and access is great.

I know it's death by a million while you're theres, but it's cheap and easy to do with the sc off and great for preventing later headaches. I've done this on my late 98 xjr and current 00 xkr, and likely will do it on my 07 xkr eventually.

wsn03 (02-10-2021)
Old 10-19-2020, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 80sRule
For my xjr when i did the Eaton m112 removal and replacement of the valley hoses, i just removed the bolts for the snout. I was popping a new coupler in anyway. But the easy way of changing the oil on car is the goal is the wd40 straw and a syringe. The tipping over will work but you'll have to move the sc to various positions to get the oil out since its a fill level plug not a drain plug.

I agree with the plan of attack of pull the sc, replace the hoses underneath. The water outlet on the sc aka non-na aka xkr cars is not a plastic piece of trash but metal and you should be good leaving it be. Change both belts; and rotate all the accessories and idlers and tensioners to ensure no bearings are starting to go either. Water pump is super easy at this time too; so check it and if leaking or noisy, replace right then. I also recommend replacing any of the hard plastic coolant tubingas well as vacuum tubing/hoses too since it gets brittle and access is great.

I know it's death by a million while you're theres, but it's cheap and easy to do with the sc off and great for preventing later headaches. I've done this on my late 98 xjr and current 00 xkr, and likely will do it on my 07 xkr eventually.
Thanks for such an informed answer. I hear you, I have the syphon and WD straw ready. Good to hear you agree with my plan of attack, thanks, every opinion helps. Berkshire Jag confirmed about the metal water outlet last week - they were very helpful. I've bought a new pump regardless (very cheap for oem from Berkshire Jag) - I believe they are a bit of roulette game so figure I'll change mine now while I'm doing everything else - £30 odd pounds its a no brainer for me.

"I also recommend replacing any of the hard plastic coolant tubings well as vacuum tubing/hoses too since it gets brittle and access is great." Because I don't exactly know what's in there I figured I'd strip all first, check everything over, then start ordering the parts I need. I'm not planning on replacing water pipes that are good for example, plus I haven't seen all this stuff in situ yet so wouldn't know what to order.

Many thanks

Old 02-10-2021, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 408 Posts

This is what i did while the charger was off. Replaced every rubber and plastic hose i had not already replaced. My charger had significant coating loss on the rotor lobes. I found a pristine used charger on the bay and replaced the nose piece bearings and rear needle bearings. Cleaned everything intake related up real nice and wow what a difference. Having done all this i never expect to take the charger off again. The charger rebearing is quite simple. All you need is a basic press and watch the great youtube video i found. Most gaskets are reusable and the bearings are available as a kit for the charger including oil. It took me about a week working at a snails pace taking my time

wsn03 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by scottjh9
This is what i did while the charger was off. Replaced every rubber and plastic hose i had not already replaced. My charger had significant coating loss on the rotor lobes. I found a pristine used charger on the bay and replaced the nose piece bearings and rear needle bearings. Cleaned everything intake related up real nice and wow what a difference. Having done all this i never expect to take the charger off again. The charger rebearing is quite simple. All you need is a basic press and watch the great youtube video i found. Most gaskets are reusable and the bearings are available as a kit for the charger including oil. It took me about a week working at a snails pace taking my time
Crikey forgot i started this thread!!! All more useful info i neex to store, really appreciate it. I think I'll buy a press...fancy changing the bearings for sure. This is a big help

Old 02-10-2021, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Here is the video. There is part one and part two. Very easy to follow

Old 02-10-2021, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Here is part two

Old 02-11-2021, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by scottjh9
Thank you for putting up these videos, I will stick them on my master thread - watched the video 1, really good. This is a big help

Old 01-06-2022, 05:11 AM

Morning all - had to search a bit to find this thread. I am finally getting round to this job starting on Saturday (3 Saturdays put aside for this). I will take photos as I go along.

From this thread here https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/...pe-xkr.108372/ I ordered the 2 valley pipes I believe I need. I also have header tank, thermostat, water pump etc, supercharger Eaton kit etc. See what else I find when I take it all apart.