XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 XKR Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2007 XKR Question

Hello All. Have loved Jags for years and have finally gotten to the place where I can afford one. Was looking at a Porsche 993 or 996 for a long time (don't judge) but the more I read about reliability issues (especially on the 996) the more I didn't love what I saw. Was looking around Autotrader and found an 07 XKR still under Jag Warranty and with only 62k miles. Just got back from a test drive and feel fairly in love.

My question is, what should I expect in terms of maintenance and just how reliable are these XKRs? It sounds like, with the exception of the occasional electrical gremlin, they're essentially bulletproof. Obviously having the warranty for at least another 15 months also makes this attractive but I just want to make sure I'm not walking into a money pit once I'm out of this period. Also, does the supercharger require any additional servicing? Also, I have 19 inchers on my current car and have had a few blown tires on nasty SoCal roads. Have to assume the Jag 20 inchers are the same. Is that the case? Oh, and is there a real difference between the XK and the XKR outside of power? Doesn't seem to be...though I do love that XKR exhaust note...

Lastly, they're advertising it for 32k. That seems to be the TOP end of what these cars should fetch. Do you think that something around 29 or 28.5 would be more reasonable? The car is in good sort but it does have some issues (radio antennae is broken, curb rash on 20 inch rims, some paint / rock chips on the drivers door and rear QP.)

Am going to have the owner take it in for an inspection on Monday, but wanted to ask here first.

Excited to potentially be owning this one. Thanks in advance for the input.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think around $30k is pretty reasonable, especially if it still has the Jaguar Select Edition warranty for any appreciable amount of time. I bought my convertible XKR in December, and it was $35,000 with 6 months left on the Select Edition Warranty and with 55000 miles or so on it.

A used car will always have things that need sorting, and my XKR has been no different. However, with the insurance of the Select Edition Warranty, I don't find any of the gremlins overwhelming.

It has been a most satisfying car to own. It attracts a lot of attention (you'll see people's heads turn), but it won't attract so many people that you'll feel self-conscious! Are you looking at convertibles or coupes? I test drove a couple coupes and I contemplating buying one and probably would have if I found one I liked and the price was right. However, I'm so glad I got the convertible. Frankly, with the top up, you miss so much of that raucous exhaust sound when you're really goosing it. I bet this muffling effect is even worse with the hardtop!

Old 03-02-2013, 05:58 PM

Looking at the Convertible. Living in SoCal and as a young guy, I don't see the point in owning a coupe. There is nothing more exciting than going down the PCH during the summertime (or hell, even today when it is 81 outside!) with the top off.

Love the lines and that growl is insane. On the 3.4 Porsches you don't have anything that compares. Granted, you have a SLIGHTLY larger backseat which is sort of useable (hey, I could fit my girlfriend and one of her friends back there) which I like a bit more, but that IMS issue is a real turn off. The 993 just isn't great considering I do a bunch of sub 15 mile trips. As much as it amazes me, it sounds like the XKR is a fairly reliable car when it comes to the engine and is much more commuter friendly. Not surprisingly, I get an immense amount of **** on the 991 forums whenever I talk about not driving my car enough. This feels like a great combination - great power, amazing style and fairly dependable. Will probably end up going for it, though I'm hoping I can get that sticker down to right at 30...

Old 03-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Welcome to our forum, hope to see you here as a regular member soon!

You'll certainly be happy with much of what a XKR will offer you. I am thrilled to own my XK, and look forward to every chance I get to take her for a drive.

If you have to look for down sides, then about the only one worthy of a step backwards is the cabin electronics. The Base Stereo is not well liked, and the Alpine (Premium Sound option) barely holds it own.....Barely (I'm happy with my Alpine).
Navigation is not worthy of any car selling in the $80K plus range, and thanks to its complete integration with the cars secondary electronics (Environmental, heated Seats and such) you cannot upgrade via third party head units. Bluetooth is lacking, and your 07 probably excludes the ability to dock any ipod or other such device. No backup cameras either.

As I said, Cabin Electronics are easily 4 years behind other cars of the time, and lack of replacing or upgrading it is a frustration for many. The rule to remember here is "What you buy is What you get"... (So get it all)
My XK is pretty well loaded, but I do wish I had the front parking sensors (Another option at the time).

I grouse about this every now and then, but the plain truth I cannot deny is that my XK puts a smile on my face every time I sit and grab the wheel. When asked what I listen to, I simply answer "4.2 on the Freakin Magic dial"...

Best of luck at the bargaining table, hope to see you back here soon!

Vince

Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I was conisdering a 996-997 when shopping for a car. I am glad I took the XK instead of the 911. XK is just too darn beautiful, very well put together, and the more I drive it, the more I feel they got it right. Car has been very solid. The only annoying thing so far is the bottom cushion feels loose. Haven't had the time to sort that issue with mechanic, but the Jaguar V8 is the best in the business, IMO.

Buy this car, drive the heck out of it and enjoy. Sure, I miss rowing my own gears and the suspension could be more sporty, but in traffic or just daily driving; Jaguar nailed it. You'll appreciate the little touches as soon as you see the car from underneath.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 PM

Just made an offer on the car. She's black on black with the wood interior. 62k miles with 12 months left on the warranty. Only had work down at the local Jag dealership (other than a few oil changes), so she has a full service history and a clean car fax. Assuming that she passes an inspection tomorrow at the local Jag dealership, she's mine this week.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Black on black is the BEST! That's what I have! I also have the 20" Senta wheels so it sounds like you're buying an identical car.

The rear seat of the XKR are tiny, but you can probably fit your girlfriend and one of her friends as long as they are under 5'1". My girlfriend was able to fit back there, for a short period of time.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Welcome to our forum, hope to see you here as a regular member soon!

You'll certainly be happy with much of what a XKR will offer you. I am thrilled to own my XK, and look forward to every chance I get to take her for a drive.

If you have to look for down sides, then about the only one worthy of a step backwards is the cabin electronics. The Base Stereo is not well liked, and the Alpine (Premium Sound option) barely holds it own.....Barely (I'm happy with my Alpine).
Navigation is not worthy of any car selling in the $80K plus range, and thanks to its complete integration with the cars secondary electronics (Environmental, heated Seats and such) you cannot upgrade via third party head units. Bluetooth is lacking, and your 07 probably excludes the ability to dock any ipod or other such device. No backup cameras either.

As I said, Cabin Electronics are easily 4 years behind other cars of the time, and lack of replacing or upgrading it is a frustration for many. The rule to remember here is "What you buy is What you get"... (So get it all)
My XK is pretty well loaded, but I do wish I had the front parking sensors (Another option at the time).

I grouse about this every now and then, but the plain truth I cannot deny is that my XK puts a smile on my face every time I sit and grab the wheel. When asked what I listen to, I simply answer "4.2 on the Freakin Magic dial"...

Best of luck at the bargaining table, hope to see you back here soon!

Vince
Couldn't agree with you more!! Well said.
tnt10

Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

me too for a while I wanted to buy a small porsche cayman, I tried a few, one was fine but he did'nt want accept my wire, the other had no potency with the engine, another was a lost of time ....I red on forums some used their engine to make a coffee table after it brakes.
Not only this but I noticed porsche driver are very, like playboy kind of attitude.

it seems a total different world. drivers are different as well, a bit like bmw drivers I will say, (sorry for those owning bmw) but there is not worst tailgaters than those...go to knows why they end up to be such idiots on the roads....never i will buy a porsche, if i buy another car it will be a land rover I think.

not to say I don't like the porsche ads too where they take buyers for teenagers...also the interior is a real bummer, there is nothing, or at best, only the basics!!! its almost if you could think porsche messed it out, to sell you a car without ac or gps...how come nowdays spending that money without these basics features...not to say the prices of their dump wheels fitted with michelin tires...

The true is that the cayman is good in 2010 with air flow cooling, the rest and before are bad ones...

what's turned me down, is that people selling porsche seems to sell you more a warranty/guarantee than the actual car...like if without a warranty , you are really by yourself!! since you need some time to sell it, you are unsure to be able to provide a warranty for the next buyers...for me its is like being assisted too much...

I had 10 jags in 14 years and I don't regret it.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 03-09-2013 at 01:35 AM.